Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mission , British Columbia
Opinions on Anova Precision Oven?

I hope it's okay that I ask my foodie friends here if they have any experience or opinion on the Anova Precision Oven? This would be for shore power only, but would probably do the same things for me as an oven/microwave/sous vide.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

I posted in the interior renovation oven section and my thread is cold, no responses! Maybe a sous vide fan will already know about this one?
Old 07-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetId View Post
I hope it's okay that I ask my foodie friends here if they have any experience or opinion on the Anova Precision Oven? This would be for shore power only, but would probably do the same things for me as an oven/microwave/sous vide.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

I posted in the interior renovation oven section and my thread is cold, no responses! Maybe a sous vide fan will already know about this one?
There's no sous vide going on in this oven; and that the product website devotes more page space to their "Q&A logic page" as to why they're still sous vide, than any other page at the website, shows to me they know this.

what's going on here instead is "oven thermometer" - or more precisely, "temperature probe." I do the same thing with my Big Green Egg and a probe that regulates a fan which in turn keeps the temperature at a precise location.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yes, you're quite right -- certainly there is no sous-vide vacuum-sealing going on here, but they're trying to make it sound similar to sous-vide, with the ability to do a consistent low-temperature and moist cooking method. I see what you mean about the temperature probe, they are using it to monitor the doneness of meat but not to control the temperature itself (from what I can tell from their description).

I really prefer cooking outdoors, but was hoping to find an indoor oven that would make excellent bread. An oven that can cook with steam and then switch to convection seems pretty perfect for that task. Still, that would be pretty expensive bread, unless I use that oven for all my indoor cooking.

There are so many multi-cookers out there, I'm not sure which one is worth the limited counter space.

Now I'll have to look up some info on the Big Green Egg... you have made me curious!
Old 08-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetId View Post
Now I'll have to look up some info on the Big Green Egg... you have made me curious!
... I do like the BGE option, but it's not cheap either. You need a temperature controller (there's a few of them on the market, and it's popular enough that BGE now sells a rebranded one ( https://biggreenegg.com/product/egg-genius/ )). It's still charwood cooking; but you <can> bake with it...
Old 08-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are looking for steam and bread, toss a pan of water in the oven under the loaf or use a cloche / dutch oven.

If you watch the temperature on the controller on a BGE, it's all over the place if you are shooting for low or moderate temperatures. Even at "full bore" it's not super stable. It still cooks great food.

A probe in the food will not help with temperature control. That has to come from an external probe. These folks are pushing the idea that their setup has a probe built in and controls temp better.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are looking for steam and bread, toss a pan of water in the oven under the loaf or use a cloche / dutch oven.

Bob
At home I use a pan of water in the lowest rack of the oven for bread, but I didn't think there would really be sufficient space for that in a small RV range for that? My AS is completely stripped right now and I'll be doing the kitchen from scratch. I'm trying to decide if a gas oven is even worth the space. Given that I will have full hookup 99% of the time I could use a convection microwave, glorified toaster oven or what-not. It would be great to have something that could turn out a decent baguette, even a really really short one!