Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Nespresso expresso coffee combinations

I would very much like ones opinion on small espresso coffee combos as I will need to replace our Keurig as it found legs and moved to our son's home.
It appears that Nespresso makes them for themselves and other names, however, I see mix reviews so I was wondering what you all thought of them?

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have used a Keurig for about 10 years. Three years ago I added a Nespreso Pixie and their frothier to the collection. I use it several times every day at home. I always take the Keurig camping. Sometimes the Nespreso. Depends on my mood when I am packing to go. I buy my Nespresp capsules direct from Nespreso. I did buy one off brand order thru Amazom and found it to be old and weak tasting.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
We have the Nespresso Pixie and frother as well. It lives in the trailer full-time. We like the compactness of it.

We use a couple of times a day when we are in trailer, sometimes even running off the inverter if we are boon docking. Make sure you have an adequate inverter, ours is 2000 Watts.

The only downside is the lack of places to buy the capsules. Living in Canada for 6 months the closest outlet is about 500 miles away. In Arizona the closest dealer is about 25 miles away. You can of course just do a mail order.

Highly recommend the combination.

Hopes this helps.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We have a Nespresso, but I prefer a Keurig. I can get Keurig cups at just about any store (Costco seems the best), but I have to order Nespresso. I want a cup of coffee, not an Espresso or Latte.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
At home I start every day with a couple of Americanos from our Nespresso U machine. After that I make a drip pot in my Technovorm mocca master. At work we have a Keurig. I have never found a Keurig cup that I thought was worth drinking and for the life of me, don't understand why its so popular. I quite like the little Nespresso machine. While not perfect it makes very drinkable shots and lattes.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I have been in the Nespresso ecosystem for over a decade and love it. However, I used to also have a Keurig at the same time for basic coffee, versus espresso-based drinks. I know I could have just made an Americano each time.

Anyhoo - last year I got rid of both machines and picked up Nespresso's Vertuoline machine, which is designed for the US market as it is focused on larger volumes aka coffee. It can still do a traditional Nespresso espresso (albeit in a different type of capsule) but its focus is on coffee.

The coffee is much better than anything out of a Keurig machine. I got rid of two machines and ended up with one.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the replies. It is the Nespresso's Vertuoline machine that I am looking at to replace the Keurig in our home. Has it held up well.

We will not use it very often as I grind my own espresso; it is more for my wife when I am away and she wants coffee. I am also not sure if I would take it camping as again I like to grind my own coffee and use either the espro french press or the Bialetti mocha espress stove top when camping
Old 06-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Albertville , Minnesota
Coffee snob

We use real coffee roasted at our local roaster who has been roasting for many years. We grind whole beans every morning. We use pour over in a Chemex. Easy peasy and great coffee in the am.
McKinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was at a mall today and went into William Sonoma, low and behold they had 30% off the NespressoVertuline. I cold not resis since they gave me My military discount on top of that. I ended up paying around 225 on a 350 machine.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I was at a mall today and went into William Sonoma, low and behold they had 30% off the NespressoVertuline. I cold not resis since they gave me My military discount on top of that. I ended up paying around 225 on a 350 machine.
What gets me is the stores that sell the machines are not allowed to sell the capsules unless they are an official Nespreso store and those are few and far in between.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I know it just not make sense, I wonder why as it does not seem to be a smart business decision.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinsey View Post
We use real coffee roasted at our local roaster who has been roasting for many years. We grind whole beans every morning. We use pour over in a Chemex. Easy peasy and great coffee in the am.
Pour over Chemex or Mellitta with fresh beans fresh ground is a sure fire way to enjoy good coffee. I've been roasting my own beans for the 6 yrs or so, and if you can get beans that are generally under a week or two from roast date it makes a huge difference.

Still, the Nespresso offerings are good, and easy for an old brain dead guy like me early in the am.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote