Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Mini Slow Cooker / Crockpot

I found a great deal on a mini (1.5 qt) slow cooker / crockpot for $14.99 (half price).

Product: Proctor-Silex® 1.5-qt. Red Oval Slow Cooker

I'm debating whether to get this or not, not sure if it makes sense for the trailer. I think it would be great for a meal for two, but I'm not sure how to convert a regular crockpot recipe to one for a small one. And there really doesn't seem to be any cookbooks out there for the small one.

Any recipes or ideas for a small crockpot?

Also, use code FREESHIP if you order this item to get free shipping. I don't guarantee the code will work, it worked yesterday for my sister. Also, code ONLINESEP25 might get you an additional $1.50 off this item as well.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
One idea. Cook in a bigger crock pot at home, and refrigerate or freeze single-serving portions. Then use the small crock pot to reheat one portion at a time. I've done that for years with my small crock pot, even before I bought my Airstream.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One idea. Cook in a bigger crock pot at home, and refrigerate or freeze single-serving portions. Then use the small crock pot to reheat one portion at a time. I've done that for years with my small crock pot, even before I bought my Airstream.
Good idea! In fact, great idea! Thank you.
WBCCI #7878
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have a mini crockpot. I bought it for the trailer, but now it's in the house, it's such a handy little thing. It is a great size for two with little or no leftovers. Just split regular crockpot recipes in half. Another great tip is crockpot liners. Makes clean-up a snap! Cleaning the darn thing where stuff has gotten baked on the sides is the worst, especially in the trailer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Math?

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
but I'm not sure how to convert a regular crockpot recipe to one for a small one. And there really doesn't seem to be any cookbooks out there for the small one.

Way back when, I was taught to change the size of a recipe by dividing (or multiplying) the quantity of each item in the recipe. For example, if the small crockpot is one third the size of the big one, you use only one third as much of each ingredient.

It works for most things, but I will admit that it's hard to crack half an egg. You can get around that particular problem by using Egg Beaters (2 oz. = 1 egg). Also, I find that with some ingredients, the exact amount isn't really critical and you can use a little extra or a little less and never taste the difference.

I do carry a small crockpot in our Airstream--$9 at WalMart--bottom of closet in it's original box. So far, I've only used it for beans to go with a cookout, but it's worked just fine.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Just a suggestion. I've been using a pressure cooker a LOT lately. It's a cuisinart and it's digital. However, you can get several stainless steel ones. They are much, much safer than the types we grew up with. I plan on getting the pot type for the Airstream. Since it takes less energy to heat up, I would think you could use less propane. Also, things cook super fast. Sometimes I can cut my time by 90%. I can cook chicken stock from a carcase in 1 hours instead of 12. The pot can be used for other cooking as well. I've done several beef stews with it as well. You can put dry beans in it and have them ready in less than an hour.

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
crock pot temp. are usually 200 degrees on LOW setting and 300 degrees on HIGH. We carry a deep electric skillet, and knowing the temps use it both ways.
Also someone mentioned a pressure cooker, check out the Can Cooker. I have had good results with it. I have the small, but at times wish I had the large. The small is good for up to 6 persons.

mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a 1qt, I think, little one in the Interstate.

We have used ours more for things that need a long, slow, heating period. Like baked beans with smoked sausage, sauerkraut and sausage, etc. Put it on early afternoon, by suppertime it's ready.

I think you could safely put chicken, beef, or a stew of some sort in there, and it would be fine. Protag's idea of cooking ahead and reheating is good, too.

I remember the original crockpots, 40 or so years ago, where you actually could leave something to cook for 12 hours.

My experience with the new-fangled ones is 6-8 hours, max, even on low.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I've recently purchased a kitchen item that can replace a bunch of gadgets. It's call an Instant Pot IP-DUO60. Rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker, yogurt maker, and more. It even has a sauté setting so I can brown meat for a stew before putting the top on to pressure cook, so only one pot to clean.

I little pricey at around $130, but the space savings it great. Check the reviews on Amazon, most everyone is very pleased with them. The stainless steel inner pot is super easy to clean.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I appreciate your input.
WBCCI #7878
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #11
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
Tomy, I've been looking at those all in ones...how's it working out for you?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
mcdowellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I'm still loving mine. The stainless steel insert is removable and so easy to clean. You do have to adjust the cooking time on other pressure cooker recipes, because this unit operates at 11 PSI, whereas stovetop units are usually 15-20 PSI. But it is easy to get the hang of. There are cooking time charts on their website.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey Time2Play, I am single and have often cooked in a slow-cooker for ease of timing, etc., on scheduling. There is a book I got years ago, The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever by Natalie Haughton. In it there is a discussion of size. As others have stated already. Keep the rest for another meal. The recommended size in the book is a 3.5 quart at minimum. The reason is that most recipes are written for 3.5 or 5 qt models and some are difficult to cut down. She concludes that if you are going to buy only one model- get a 3.5 or 4 qt model. The only caveat is that springform pans for desserts will only fit a 5 quart. It depends on what all you will do with it. By the reviews, the book is not liked too much but I will attest that most items are easy find- not necessarily wholesome but often canned and are set for cooking on high. You can cook on low for longer times. I have a 3.5 and a croquette (mini) and do most anything. I have only made one dessert ever in a slow cooker. You end up in a 3.5 with about 4-5 servings depending on what it is but hey, then there's the microwave and no cook nights to look forward to.

Tomy, that is one cool gadget. Like it. Anything Pot- just make sure you press the correct button or else!

I got a flash oven and really enjoy it. No preheating, etc.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Instant Pot is coming out with a new model that has Bluetooth and a smartphone app:

Instant Pot Launches the World’s First Bluetooth® Smart Connected Smartcooker at CES 2014 | Instant Pot®
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have been carting a small crock pot around the country for years. Love it! My only problem is that I was using it in motels and housekeeping kept unplugging it. I have a small 1.5 liter pressure cooker too comes in handy.

Cutting recipes down is pretty easy with a bit of practice. Just half or 1/3 the ones for a 4 or 6 quart pot, close enough.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I bought the blue-tooth compatible Instant Pot. I loved my older Instant Pot and used it quite often. I neglected to read the fine print. My Ipad, 2nd generation, is too old to sync. It's still a great multi-cooker.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Espyville , Pennsylvania
That's great. A slow cooker with bluetooth. HUH? I've never had much need for my kitchen appliances calling me before. It's really quite strange...

I use a small roadpro crockpot that I picked up from some truck-stop years ago. It plugs into a 12Volt outlet so it's perfect for shore power or dry-camping. I have never taken a picture of mine but I found one online. This is the cooker that I use; no bluetooth.
Martin724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes. The new one enables you to pull up recipes on the Instant Pot site with your blue tooth device and send it to the cooker, after you load it with the ingredients, of course. You can delay start, etc. Not buying a new iPad just to use that function. I will wait until this one dies.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Espyville , Pennsylvania
that's nearly ridiculous.
Martin724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That is carrying connectivity just a little bit too far.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote