Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
BOONDOCKERS/ROCKDOCKERS crock pot.

I am most times miles/hours from the nearest outlet and using the generator is not efficient. I use a glass or corning dish with lid, set the propane oven to 175* to 180*, then go off on a days exploring, fishing, or whatever. When I return supper is ready and the trailer is warm with good food smells. Works best for me in cooler weather. Propane usage is surprisingly low. Doesn't seem to take much to maintain that low temperature.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
New Lucy is now equipped with her very own trailer sized slow cooker. We are not much in the cooking area. We are confirmed microwavers. The one exception is the making of what we call boiled streak. Boiled steak is made by throwing a hunk of low priced cow in a slow cooker for about eight hours, and, voila!, we have a great boiled steak.

We have a couple of larger (4 and 5 quart) slow cookers. These are a little too much for our trailer cooking needs and for Lucy's counter top.

We shopped around on-line and found a 1.5 quart slow cooker for Lucy. This seems to be just the right size for both using and storing in an Airstream.

We have been trying it out for the last couple days. We have already done a one pound boiled steak, and it came out great! Today were are trying boiled pig, and cooking a hunk of pork.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7043.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	233409  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
New Lucy is now equipped with her very own trailer sized slow cooker. We are not much in the cooking area. We are confirmed microwavers. The one exception is the making of what we call boiled streak. Boiled steak is made by throwing a hunk of low priced cow in a slow cooker for about eight hours, and, voila!, we have a great boiled steak.
My first introduction to slow cookers was equally simple. Canned cream of mushroom soup and chicken pieces, cooked until the meat fell off the bones. That was before you could buy boneless and skinless chicken in the supermarket. These days it's even easier; no fishing the bones out after it's done cooking.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My favorite slow cooker meal is BBQ Pork Butt. So simple to make, approx. 3 Lb pork roast, cut in half, 1.5 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce. Put in slow cooker and cook on slow for 6 hours. Remove and pull one piece for instant gratification. Let the other piece cool in the freezer for a couple hours. Vacuum seal and freeze for another day.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #25

2010 30' Classic
Trabuco Cyn , California
Boneless skinless chicken breasts covered in salsa (I prefer verde) cooked on low for a few hours, shred once cooked and mixed back into the sauce, let sit for 15 more mins on low while prepping taco supplies. Heat tortillas, make tacos, enjoy. Also works with bbq sauce for bbq chicken sandwiches.
christream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #26

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Lots of tasty recipes for a non-cook like me. Let's here about more of them.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
2# beef roast (chuck) room temp
1 bottle Chili sauce
1 jar dill whole gerkin pickles include juice
6-8 hours in crock pot check for done, pulls apart easily
remove pickles we eat them on the side
shred beef
serve
I usually use from Aldi
serves 6-8 good dish for rallys
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like the addition of the pickles, makes a sort of sourbrot with a kick.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I have a non-cook question, so please excuse my lack of cooking knowledge.

Lucy has her new 1.5 quart slow cooker/crock pot. We got this size not only to be more conducive with Airstream life, but to preferably provide only a single meal because we are not "leftovers" people. We are more of the "eat it and forget it" ilk.

This being revealed, I am asking you knowledgeable folks what cuts of beef are readily available in approximately 16 to 20 ounce quantities. I realize that at a market with a real butcher, I can ask them to cut exactly what I want.

Very often we find ourselves at a roadside Wal-Mart where the fresh meat is prepackaged and there are no custom options. Is there a cut of beef that I can look for that is packaged in the one pound quantity?

In the past, I have usually used either chuck roast or bottom round roast to make my "boiled steak" with great results. One one occasion, I found and eye round roast on sale and decided to try this more expensive cut of meat. The resultant "boiled steak" was disappointing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
not enough fat in the eye of round.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
not enough fat in the eye of round.
I kind of figured that. Is there a cheap cut of steak that would fill the bill?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I kind of figured that. Is there a cheap cut of steak that would fill the bill?
There are four beef qualities: Prime, Choice, Select, and Standard. This has to do with marbling, the amount of intramuscular fat on the animal. Individual cuts can be very lean even from a well-marbled carcass if the fat is trimmed off before sale.

Beef is also measured in Grade, which is determined by the physiological age— not the chronological age; it ain't the years, it's the mileage— of the animal when it was slaughtered. Grade A is aged 9 to 30 months. Since veal is from an animal less than a year old, all veal is Grade A. Grade B is 30-42 months, and so on to Grade E which is older than 96 months. Grade A tends to be tender, Grade E tends to be tough as boot leather in comparison.

The most desirable cuts are Grade A Prime, of course. But those are also more expensive, and not usually prepackaged. These are the cuts you have to ask the butcher to wrap for you.

Any cut of beef can be a "cheap" cut, as long as it's not labeled Prime or Choice. But to ensure a minimum of gristle it's still best to go for Grade A if possible. As for fat content, that's a matter of personal preference, and if the package isn't labeled for "% lean" then you'll have to judge by eye; with the understanding that meat markets usually lay the cut of meat in the package so the side that looks leanest faces up. There may be more fat content on the back than on the front.

My dad used to raise beef cattle once upon a time, and one of my summer jobs in college was in a stockyard. Amazing what you can pick up.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One of the things I like about slow cooking is that I can use the cheapest cuts of meat. It all comes out delicious and melts in the mouth.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We like the slow cooker; but also look at the Can Cooker. One could downsize the contents, but more for four to six. I have the smaller of the two.
It is like a pressure cooker.
mike
Old 03-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bremerton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
I've recently purchased a kitchen item that can replace a bunch of gadgets. It's call an Instant Pot IP-DUO60. Rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker, yogurt maker, and more. It even has a sauté setting so I can brown meat for a stew before putting the top on to pressure cook, so only one pot to clean.

I little pricey at around $130, but the space savings it great. Check the reviews on Amazon, most everyone is very pleased with them. The stainless steel inner pot is super easy to clean.

Hi, I wanted to revisit this thread, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. I just bought an Instant Pot and I LOVE it. Has anyone been making any road-tested dishes with it? I think it will save me stove time especially for soups and stews. I can't wait to make cheesecake in it.

"I belong bodily to the earth
I'm just wearing old bones from those that came first
I been unraveling since my birth
Gonna wander out there and see what I'm worth..."

27FB' Pendleton National Park Edition #028/100
Towing with 2004 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2016 Pendleton 28ft FB #028/100
WBCCI #1362
troie99 is offline   Reply With Quote