Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Making My Kitchen List

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but since kitchen was in the title....

We have an entire kitchen to outfit, which I know in A/S means not taking much. We have two kids and one of the reasons for getting the A/S was so we could avoid all the eating out. I am looking for suggestions on plates, cups, cutlery, pots/pans for our A/S. Also things you wouldn't want to leave home without.. ie, your favorite gadgets.

For the plates I am thinking of using this:

Coleman 12-piece Enamelware Plus Cutlery Set

Any ideas/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have a set of Corelle Simple Lines dishes. They are in stock at my local WalMart (despite the website saying "Not Sold in Stores", they have them). They have open stock there as well. Several of us have the Corelle square dishes in this and other patterns.

The Corelle 16 piece set is less expensive than the Coleman 12 piece set, but no cutlery set.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we bought a set of Corelle [Camellia] dishes [set for four] and I keep four pieces of each utensil, but there is only two of us. We only have a few pots & pans and usually only use the 8" frying pan for eggs. We precook most everything at home and reheat in the microwave oven. We also use paper plates. As for appliances, I have a coffee maker, and a toaster that we use almost daily. I have an electric hot plate that we haven't used yet and a small portable single burner stove that uses throw away cans. [used for cooking stinky stuff out side of our trailer] I use bottled water for coffee and cooking. My idea is to only have barely enough stuff in the kitchen to get by with.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I have a set of Corelle Simple Lines dishes. They are in stock at my local WalMart (despite the website saying "Not Sold in Stores", they have them). They have open stock there as well. Several of us have the Corelle square dishes in this and other patterns.

The Corelle 16 piece set is less expensive than the Coleman 12 piece set, but no cutlery set.
Is square better than round space wise? how do they travel? do you have to use protective measures, like towels or bubble wrap? I am a total novice at this. Our first TT ever!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have:

two aluminum pans (short and wide) with lids
a cast iron fry pan, medium, well seasoned
disposable aluminum trays, small and medium - if I'm dry or conserving water, I'll use these to cook in over gas, so there's no washing up.
the usual utensils and silverware
paper plates and bowls, plastic knives/forks
a light lexan mixing bowl
nonstick sheet pan
A camping handle, for heating/moving foods in the can - just remember to peel the label off first before putting the can on the gas! (got from Bass Pro Shops)

I like the corelle unbreakablewear, but I do have a couple of plastic plates I really like - hard, microwave safe, and they have the neat characteristic that they don't suck all the heat away from the food and keep it warm for a longer time (I guess they have a very low specific heat capacity)...
Wire wool scrubbies - they don't start to smell, and when they're used up they make an awesome party trick!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
_

. , .
this list of lists should keep ya busy...

see post #14 below, and then FOLLOW ALL da'links.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post818672

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
this list of lists should keep ya busy...

see post #14 below, and then FOLLOW ALL da'links.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post818672

cheers
2air'
OH MY!! Thanks.... I'd better get busy reading!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've found I can eat anything worthwhile out of a medium sized dog dish with a large tablespoon sharpened on the left edge. A boot knife works for a kitchen knife and a tin coffee cup works as a side bowl. I pack two skillets and one small sauce pan. Everything else can be done with disposable items.

One of the reasons I travel is so I can eat out. I love independents and regional mom & pop restaurants. I look for dirty pickup trucks in the parking lots. I love the south. The women are pretty and the food is good. Or is it the food is pretty and the women are good?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here are a few of Our Favorite Things!

A few of our favorite kitchen things:

Magnetic-base Spice Tins (see pic #1)...stick them to the side of the range hood and move to the stove top when traveling... Bed Bath & Beyond, World Market ~$1.50 ea

Fagor 15-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set (see pic #2)...It's all we need. They nest, they are a good weight, there are 2 detachable handles, the frying pan is nonstick, the lids are also strainers, they each have plastic lids for storing food... Amazon.com, Camping World ~$75

Snapware (see pic #3)... Stack well to utilizes space in frig and cabinets very well, good seals, microwave safe ~$25 for a set of 32 pieces...Costco, order on line...

Farberware Stainless Coffee Percolator (see pic #4)... Makes great coffee... ~$20 Here's 1 source: FarberWare Farberware Classic Yosemite Stainless Steel Percolator - Reviews & Prices @ Yahoo! Shopping

We also carry a toaster, a 1-up electric waffle iron, a teapot (all stainless steel)...

We also have Corelle Simple Lines, and we have a couple of sets of plastic dishes as well...(we one set at a time...it depends on our décor for the trip)...but frankly, when we are dry camping or boon docking we use paper to cut down on dish washing and to conserve water...

Have fun with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spice Tins_03_Sm.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	108705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fagor Stainless Cookware_01.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	108706  

Name:	Snapware_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	108707  
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Food Allergy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I've found I can eat anything worthwhile out of a medium sized dog dish with a large tablespoon sharpened on the left edge. A boot knife works for a kitchen knife and a tin coffee cup works as a side bowl. I pack two skillets and one small sauce pan. Everything else can be done with disposable items.

One of the reasons I travel is so I can eat out. I love independents and regional mom & pop restaurants. I look for dirty pickup trucks in the parking lots. I love the south. The women are pretty and the food is good. Or is it the food is pretty and the women are good?
A son with severe food allergies such as eggs, tree nuts, peanuts... with a slight milk allergy. Eating out for us is like the Spanish Inquisition for the waitress... thus we typically eat at places we already know.. sonic, slotzsky's, taco bueno... thus we get really tired of eating out!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
A few of our favorite kitchen things:

Magnetic-base Spice Tins (see pic #1)...stick them to the side of the range hood and move to the stove top when traveling... Bed Bath & Beyond, World Market ~$1.50 ea

Fagor 15-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set (see pic #2)...It's all we need. They nest, they are a good weight, there are 2 detachable handles, the frying pan is nonstick, the lids are also strainers, they each have plastic lids for storing food... Amazon.com, Camping World ~$75

Snapware (see pic #3)... Stack well to utilizes space in frig and cabinets very well, good seals, microwave safe ~$25 for a set of 32 pieces...Costco, order on line...

Farberware Stainless Coffee Percolator (see pic #4)... Makes great coffee... ~$20 Here's 1 source: FarberWare Farberware Classic Yosemite Stainless Steel Percolator - Reviews & Prices @ Yahoo! Shopping

We also carry a toaster, a 1-up electric waffle iron, a teapot (all stainless steel)...

We also have Corelle Simple Lines, and we have a couple of sets of plastic dishes as well...(we one set at a time...it depends on our décor for the trip)...but frankly, when we are dry camping or boon docking we use paper to cut down on dish washing and to conserve water...

Have fun with it!
Love the spice tins, hubby will love the pots, will have to checkout the snapwells and the corelle (it seems to be a popular choice).

Only one problem with the Percolator - I'm a cafe' mocha addict. Coffee just isn't the same without chocolate but I understand there is a stove top version for me.

Toaster's a good idea, especially since our waffles are the frozen toaster kind.

The teapot I would have forgotten about.. but is a really good idea!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You can go to Goodwill type stores and find the good old American made kitchen supply's. The new china stuff is absolutly junk, they can't even make a can opener that works right. You have to be paitent and make several trips shopping until you find all that you need. You can also find period correct stuff for older campers.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we bought a set of Corelle [Camellia] dishes [set for four] and I keep four pieces of each utensil, but there is only two of us. We only have a few pots & pans and usually only use the 8" frying pan for eggs. We precook most everything at home and reheat in the microwave oven. We also use paper plates. As for appliances, I have a coffee maker, and a toaster that we use almost daily. I have an electric hot plate that we haven't used yet and a small portable single burner stove that uses throw away cans. [used for cooking stinky stuff out side of our trailer] I use bottled water for coffee and cooking. My idea is to only have barely enough stuff in the kitchen to get by with.
We don't have a microwave in it yet.... but our 1971 Magic Oven still works! I am not sure if we will have enough room for one. The two kids' and two dogs' stuff take up a bit of extra space. I like your idea of barely enough stuff. I guess I'll have to figure out what our important stuff is. The bottle water is a must considering some of the things I have heard about campsite water.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You can go to Goodwill type stores and find the good old American made kitchen supply's. The new china stuff is absolutly junk, they can't even make a can opener that works right. You have to be paitent and make several trips shopping until you find all that you need. You can also find period correct stuff for older campers.
Thrift store shopping is a great idea.. and cheap. Our trailer is vintage... but honestly... I am not sure exactly how vintage I'd want to go. It doesn't hurt to take a look though, I just might find the perfect things. As long as it's not Shag Carpet, although I remember I had fun raking it as a kid.... wonder if my kids would too...

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Is square better than round space wise? how do they travel? do you have to use protective measures, like towels or bubble wrap? I am a total novice at this. Our first TT ever!!
I like the square shape very well. Fits in the drawers great. I also get a lot of use from the smaller plates that the Corelle set has, the 8¾ "lunch" plate. They are break resistant (3 year warranty) so good for traveling. I line my shelves and drawers and separate pieces with something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-liners/6901. I get it even cheaper at the local dollar store. It also shows up in the tool section for lining tool boxes. It also makes good place mats, keeps the plates from scooting on the tabletop.

Be sure to also check out fr8shaker's thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-60248.html. Great bunch of stuff in her Amazon list too.

My sympathies to the son with the food allergies. The only thing that gives me problems is mushrooms, and even that makes dining out difficult. I can imagine how difficult it is for him.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Most of the above, and screw-together, round, plastic craft organizers you can get at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. Good for spices and seasonings, also a few safety pins, paper clips, rubber bands, etc.---all those things you need once in awhile.

The Container Store has something called packet-pockets, which can be mounted on kitchen cabinet walls for all manner of things. Mounted, they take small things off the base of limited cabinet space, making your cabinet more space efficient and easier to find things. They come with double stick tape, but don't trust it to hold up under road vibrations. The Container store also has very lightweight but soft plastic kitchen storage containers of all sizes.

I splurged on a set of nesting silicone measuring cups and of bowls, which crush a bit to fit into cabinets and make NO noise in travel. They can be used for mixing and in the microwave.

Plastic bags in several sizes for storing things without packaging and Ziploc Zip n Steam bags are essentials for us for storing, freezing and reheating leftovers. Bags take up only the space of what's in them.

Have fun!

Maggie
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Something I Needed Anyway!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

My sympathies to the son with the food allergies. The only thing that gives me problems is mushrooms, and even that makes dining out difficult. I can imagine how difficult it is for him.
He's been allergic since he was an infant to most of those, so for him it's normal. Unlike people who get the allergies when they are older, then suddenly you can't have the thing you love.

Let me just add shelf liners to my list, that is a must have!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Let me just add shelf liners to my list, that is a must have!
Just about everything I have for the kitchen besides the Corelle Simple Lines dishes is red. I got red oval Corning bakeware a few pieces at a time at the local grocery. One weekly special at a time. I like the way the black shelf liner looks with the white with black lines as well as the red. The black liner is the toolbox liner version from the hardware part of the store. Browns, tans, and other colors come from the kitchen section.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Most of the above, and screw-together, round, plastic craft organizers you can get at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. Good for spices and seasonings, also a few safety pins, paper clips, rubber bands, etc.---all those things you need once in awhile.

The Container Store has something called packet-pockets, which can be mounted on kitchen cabinet walls for all manner of things. Mounted, they take small things off the base of limited cabinet space, making your cabinet more space efficient and easier to find things. They come with double stick tape, but don't trust it to hold up under road vibrations. The Container store also has very lightweight but soft plastic kitchen storage containers of all sizes.

I splurged on a set of nesting silicone measuring cups and of bowls, which crush a bit to fit into cabinets and make NO noise in travel. They can be used for mixing and in the microwave.

Plastic bags in several sizes for storing things without packaging and Ziploc Zip n Steam bags are essentials for us for storing, freezing and reheating leftovers. Bags take up only the space of what's in them.

Have fun!

Maggie
No container store in OK... not the entire state. DFW is the closest and that's over 100 miles away...hmmm.. might be time to "visit" some friends. i looked online for the packet-pockets they didn't have anything by that name. I did however add the plastic bags and measuring bowls/spoons to my list.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Oh! There's another thing! We took the bottom shelf out of the frig...you know, the one with the the cut-out for a gallon milk jug (if that's the way your frig is set up...we have a 19' Bambi). Then we put in a 3-drawer plastic Sterilite craft organizer (I guess that's what you'd call it...9" tall x 9" wide x 9.75" deep) that fits in the bottom of the frig on one side...you can get a lot of stuff in that thing...and then you have the other half of the bottom of the fridge for taller items...plus you have a room on top of it for other tall things. The photos also shows how well Snapware fits into the frig...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sterlite Drawer Box_Sm.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	108715  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen