Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Purchased!

OK; I got the bug after thinking about the ribs Michael mentioned! I went on Amazon, read the reviews, and ordered the new 6 qt model as it was a little smaller size wise and has lower price then older model. Will receive Friday, so looks like my weekend is going to be tied up! here are the stats I mentioned on Amazon:

IP-LUX505Qt model - $71.67
Product Dimensions
13 x 12.2 x 11.8 inches
Item Weight
13.5 pounds
Shipping Weight
15.3 pounds

IP-LUX60V36Qt model- $79.00
Product Dimensions
10.2 x 12.6 x 11.8 inches
Item Weight
14.6 pounds
Shipping Weight
15.9 pounds
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have the 6 qt. 7 in 1. Bought Black Friday from Amazon. I vacuum bag and freeze excess leftovers for days I do no feel like cooking and camping trips.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:20 AM   #43
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
I just ordered an Instant Pot Duo - 6 Qt. last week. I joined the Instant Pot Facebook group, which is 350K members strong! Tons and tons of information, recipes, ideas, etc. You can even get a decorative decal for your pot! Seems its an obession for many. I was first introduced to the Instant Pot by a fellow streamer at an Airstream Rally last year at Penn Woods. I had never heard of them before. She raved about them. So, I checked them out and it took me almost a year to purchase. I'm hoping that I can become proficient at using it over the next couple of months and then, I'll take her with us on the road on long trips.
streamingairheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As the original poster I am glad that all of you are enjoying the Instant Pot. I did buy one and I have used it a few times at home but not camping. However it is definitely not by go to cooking tool. I guess it is because I like to be at the stove or grill when I cook and add the ingredients as I go along. I can't do that with the Instant Pot. I know it has a place in kitchen, however, right now it is collecting dust in its box.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cooking up a couple of racks of pork ribs right now. Still coming up to pressure but already starting to make the house smell like a smoker. I use liquid smoke in my liquid base.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
About 18 months ago my wife and I started giving serious thoughts to picking up an Airstream and we started hanging out on this forum. Then I was forced into retirement earlier than planned so the AS got put on hold, probably until mid-2017. However I still visit Airforums every day and as a result will join your ranks much more knowledgable than I expected to be.

When this thread was first posted I thought "What the heck is an Instant Pot" so was drawn to read the thread. First I went to Amazon and was blown away to see 14,000+ reviews. I don't think I've ever seen anywhere near that many for any other product. We spend the next three nights going down the Instant Pot Rabbit Hole, studying recipes, reading reviews, checking blog sites, comparing prices, etc. We ended up buying three IP's for our kids for Christmas and one for our brother in law. Because we are downsizing I promised my wife I wouldn't buy one for ourselves until/unless I got rid of something else in return. Finally mustarded up the courage to give away my mothers old electric fry pan and ordered an IP. It showed up about 3 weeks ago and we haven't looked back since. The thing gets used 3-4 times a week and, like a lot of folks, we wonder how we ever got along without one.

So a big Thank You to the OP for starting us down this path. The only downside is that the financial impact of purchasing 5 of the darn things might delay the AS purchase another week or two
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
I chose the 5 qt model because its the only one that will work off the 1000 watt inverter that came with my Airstream. We use the IP instead of a microwave to heat up frozen meals, which we also cook in the IP. Running off the inverter and solar we can cook meals in minutes while traveling without running a generator.

Doug
dougtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
I want one!
After reading all the posts and great cooking ideas and yummy food that can be cooked in it - this will be on the list of items to purchase for the trailer.
Thank you for the detailed reviews, as I too had no idea what the heck the IP was!
Can't wait to get one and try it out.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
IP is great...

OK; received on Friday from Amazon....got the newest model, 6 QT, and lower price:

Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker, 6Qt, 1000W (updated model)

Price: $99.95 Sale: $79.95

Did Clam Chowder from the recipe book included, on Friday; wife said best we have ever had!
Did "Unami Pot Roast" last night...4 year old granddaughters were over and loved it! Roast fell apart, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, all done to perfection! I would only comment to add more spices then recipe calls for, if you like spices; others have commented same, if you like spice. I was cautious, but now I am confident...a little more spice to life! I am tackling ribs today... Being in TX, I need to use real smoke...so 1 hour with low heat on bbq grill with smoking chips first...then into the IP...will report later.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #50
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
I received my Instant Pot a few days ago. I ended up getting the Duo 6 Qt. because of a recommendation from someone in the Instant Pot Facebook community. So far I have made Chicken with Wild Rice and "Wendy's Chili". Both turned out excellent. The best part - only one pot to clean! Trying to figure out what the best cookbook is to purchase - there are numerous ones out there. Not even sure I need a cookbook since so many recipes can be found online. And, since I'm trying to simplify and downsize for eventual full-timing, I've been collecting my favorite recipes as I make then onto recipe cards and placing in a small recipe box that I can easily take on the road with me. It would be really difficult to take my whole cookbook collection!
streamingairheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You all made me feel guilty for not using my Instant Pot. So I broke it out last night and made some BBQ chicken wings. They were not bad.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I left my crock pot and hot plate at a Salvation Army donation center yesterday....my Instant Pot arrives on Friday.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamingairheads View Post
I received my Instant Pot a few days ago. I ended up getting the Duo 6 Qt. because of a recommendation from someone in the Instant Pot Facebook community. So far I have made Chicken with Wild Rice and "Wendy's Chili". Both turned out excellent. The best part - only one pot to clean! Trying to figure out what the best cookbook is to purchase - there are numerous ones out there. Not even sure I need a cookbook since so many recipes can be found online. And, since I'm trying to simplify and downsize for eventual full-timing, I've been collecting my favorite recipes as I make then onto recipe ecards and placing in a small recipe box that I can easily take on the road with me. It would be really difficult to take my whole cookbook collection!
For more recipes than you will ever use check out the IP web page, YouTube and the IP Facebook page.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ribs were excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
OK; received on Friday from Amazon....got the newest model, 6 QT, and lower price:

Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker, 6Qt, 1000W (updated model)

Price: $99.95 Sale: $79.95

Did Clam Chowder from the recipe book included, on Friday; wife said best we have ever had!
Did "Unami Pot Roast" last night...4 year old granddaughters were over and loved it! Roast fell apart, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, all done to perfection! I would only comment to add more spices then recipe calls for, if you like spices; others have commented same, if you like spice. I was cautious, but now I am confident...a little more spice to life! I am tackling ribs today... Being in TX, I need to use real smoke...so 1 hour with low heat on bbq grill with smoking chips first...then into the IP...will report later.
Well, I ended up getting Country Style ribs, (very meaty), and I followed one of the on-line Instapot recipes, and made my own catsup based sauce from the recipe, instead of using store bought bbq sauce. (Reminded me of when I used to make these in HI, using electric fry pan, years ago!) Anyway, did not use the BBQ this time; just browned the ribs in little oil, (did this browning in a large fry pan, so I could do all of them at once instead of using IP and sauté in batches); but rest of recipe was as printed...did not count on them being done so quickly...but they fell apart and sauce was great on white rice...what a great meal in less than an hour! How long does it take to typically do ribs right....2-4 hours?? This IP has us hooked!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
Quoting from AWChief:
"Running off the inverter and solar we can cook meals in minutes while traveling without running a generator. "

I'm curious, do you mean to say that while actually on the road and underway you have the IP cooking?
That would be pretty slick if it worked.
That said, the IP users manual has several pages of cautions and a number of them are about don't move it. I think the reason has to do with something splashing up and clogging the vents or the over-flow ports. However, it would seem with the pot something around half full this would be a pretty small risk. So I am intrigued to know if you are cooking while traveling (on the road) or traveling (in the park)?
Thanks
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I cook my IP ribs for 18 minutes with a 10 minute NPR. Place in pan and slather BBQ sauce on both sides. Put under broiler for 8 minutes each side. In my smoker it takes 12 hours, in the Volcano Grill about 3.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I cook my IP ribs for 18 minutes with a 10 minute NPR. Place in pan and slather BBQ sauce on both sides. Put under broiler for 8 minutes each side. In my smoker it takes 12 hours, in the Volcano Grill about 3.
I understand the smoker...I have both the Green Egg, and a Trager currently; also have the Volcano (which I love also for camping!) I tend not to use a broiler much, but that is a great suggestion! Next time I will have to try if I can't get my grill going.... I did add the liquid smoke to my sauce, along with some smoked paprika...did a decent job for homemade sauce!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI Instant Pot makes the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/d...ttom-well&_r=0

On Amazon Prime Day last July, 215,000 IPs were sold! In one day!

The hardest part of watching that video, and reading the success stories here, is the growling of the stomach wanting to taste the various dishes.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
wherrywillie,
No, we haven't cooked in the IP while under way. Just at the campsite. We haven't considered cooking under way since the IP cooks so quickly. Its just nice to have the option to use it on battery/solar when boondocking.

Doug
dougtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My IP had already arrived at my campground when I got here yesterday, and first order of business this morning was to rearrange my lower kitchen cabinet to make it a living space.

It is not chili red, as advertised, but its' brushed stainless and black self still looks very nice, and like it belongs.

It seems really big for this little rig, but it's just my eyes adjusting to it ...definitely not more space than the appliances I replaced it with, but the biggest, bulkiest item I have ever had in here.

And so, I have put a large chicken breast and several chicken thighs in there, frozen, a can of RoTel with green chiles, a bit of salt and some smoky paprika chipotle seasoning mix that I had.

I set it for 20 minutes, as I want it falling apart done.

Cooking now, and couldn't have been simpler.

Maggie