Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
There is not that much contour where these are placed as you must already know. A little scribe work and a band saw and then a plumb cut should put you where you need to be. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
I was keeping an eye on an ebay sale of an oak spice rack (mine is the white plastic variety & I don't really like it). The sold price was over $220 and shipping was $40! Is there really such a shortage of these things?
Gee Becky, I've don't believe there's going to be that much of a demand for a $260 spice rack... maybe an occassional "that's exactly what I've been dreaming about for the last 10 years" type of sale. Maybe for the Prevost crowd... nah, the owners probably have their designer just re-do the interior...

I've seen oak spice racks at Target, Tuesday Morning, World Market, etc. that could be adapted easily to mount in an Airstream. Now some custom cabinetry work - cabinet door relacement, inserts (when getting RID of those #@%!!## mirrors), interesting table top designs... replacement wood valences. Surprised I haven't seen more of that kind of stuff around - customized interior stuff, since not everyone is a junior woodchuck in the workshop...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Gee Becky, I've don't believe there's going to be that much of a demand for a $260 spice rack... maybe an occassional "that's exactly what I've been dreaming about for the last 10 years" type of sale. Maybe for the Prevost crowd... nah, the owners probably have their designer just re-do the interior...

I guess I'm not part of that crowd.....I bid $40!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro
If I were useing plain oak it would be best to buy tambor. Milling the parts for one would be time consuming but finding a source for the proper fabric backing may also take some doing. I will post pics. Robert
When I was a preschooler my grandfather bought a kid-size roll top desk for me at auction. About 20 years ago the fabric backing on the tambour deteriorated and the slats separated into a couple of sections. I bought a section of plain white cotton fabric, smeared wood glue all over the back of the tambour and fixed the fabric to it. It is still in very good condition. Now you've got me wondering, what is the "proper fabric backing"?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
You know, Speaking of tambor doors and mabey a little off topic here but. At a rally in Michigan I was told that the tambor in my 71 has been replaced. It now has a fabric back that has held up nice and works great opposed to the original paper backing that I was told that it had when built. There is one door, A front overhead right of the control gauges that does still has paper backing and is in 7 or 8 peices.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Ya know - it's a auction. If two people really want the item it may go for an obnoxious price. I've sold some crazy things on eBay for some prices that have mad me laugh!!!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, I guess the spice rack business wouldn't be too good after all. I missed this auction, but apparently only one guy wanted a spice rack this week! Dang, I wish I didn't miss this one!
eBay Motors: Airstream Interior Beautiful/Functional Oak Spice Rack (item 160218856614 end time Mar-21-08 19:28:21 PDT)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon

I've seen oak spice racks at Target, Tuesday Morning, World Market, etc. that could be adapted easily to mount in an Airstream. Now some custom cabinetry work - cabinet door relacement, inserts (when getting RID of those #@%!!## mirrors), interesting table top designs... replacement wood valences. Surprised I haven't seen more of that kind of stuff around - customized interior stuff, since not everyone is a junior woodchuck in the workshop...
You must have different Targets, etc than we do, I swear I have been in every Target, Kmart, Wally World, Tuesday Morning, Dollar General, kitchen store and thrift store between NC and here, and haven't found a single wooden spice rack. And I used to have a couple of them, gave them away years ago! Just another reason to be a pack rat, I guess I will have to make my own, anyway, to fit my big bottle of Emeril's and my seasoning salt, not to mention that big bottle of garlic powder! Must have some scrap wood around here someplace. Sandy
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Two weekends ago, we were in Camping World outside San Antone and I saw several different oak spice racks there - all sorts of stuff for the moho or trailer remodeler.

It's been awhile since I've been over to TarJay, but they have kitchen organizing stuff like that 'round these parts; same thing with World Market - mainly for the student crowd...

You'll do better making your own because the ones I've seen, even at Camping World, didn't look too sturdy - besides, yours'll look better!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I thought at first that that might be the rack listed by Airstream. They sell a lot of stuff sitting around the shop on Ebay, and I have them in my favorite sellers list. They call themselves "airstreaminc" and list the store this way:

"Straight from the factory in Jackson Center , Ohio where Airstreams are produced! We sell slightly used, scratch and dent, and discontinued items. Switches, light fixtures, wheels and clothing are just a few of the great deals you will find here."

Lynn

PS: Ok, folks at the factory, I take money for valuable plugs. Just send the check.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A year or so ago I sold a used oak spice rack on ebay for $165. The next week one sold for about $50. The full size spice rack was too big for my Tradewind but a smaller one would have fit.