Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2024, 08:34 PM   #1
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Grill recommendations for quick connect LP por

Am shopping for grill that comes ready to plug into quick connect LP port on the 2024 Trade Wind.

I am simple-minded, and prefer to NOT have to remove a regulator on the grill and buy some thing-a-muh-bob to go in it's place, and whatever else to hook up to the port.

Does anyone know of a portable grill that is quick-connect-ready and for which I can find a long hose to go with it (if it doesn't come with one)?

Thanks!
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
2018 23' International
Auburn , Maine
Airstreamsupply.com sells one. But it is (IMO) kind of big, heavy and expensive for what it is.
especially our Airstream
blog: https://airstreampictures.typepad.com
FilmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #3
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGuy View Post
Airstreamsupply.com sells one. But it is (IMO) kind of big, heavy and expensive for what it is.
Thanks---yes I did check that out and it's pretty steep.
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevienext View Post
Thanks---yes I did check that out and it's pretty steep.
That's too bad. Apparently, Airstream decided to go further "upscale" with their grill offering. They used to offer an Airstream Weber Q1000 without a regulator for use with the trailer LP port and that grill not only works very well (I have one) it is more compact and was about half the price of the current Traveller grill. Another example of an "improvement" that isn't really better. Wish I could suggest an alternative.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
We got the Weber Q1200 setup with an "RV hose" without the regulator (since the quick connect is already regulated at the tanks). I was shocked for a moment when I saw the crossed out price on Camping World, but after adding it to your cart it's $299, only a bit more than when we got ours. It's kinda bulky given its more rounded shape, but we like our Weber grills (we have a full size one at home as well).

I also got a hose with a regulator on one end and a quick connect on the other, so that we could use it from the quick connect or our little growler propane canister that we bring if we want to grill over at the site's picnic table or just further away from the trailer.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I keep coming back to the 17" Blackstone.
As far as removing the regulator, you do it every time you use the grill. For a quick connect, you simply don't screw in the regulator and screw in the adapter. From there, It's just the hose.

I see Blackstone has a newer version of the 17" that has two burners and a lid, but the cooking surface is non-stick and so you must use plastic tools.
I'll stick to my clunky cast iron surface!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Canton , Ohio
Blackstone works great!

I use the setup mentioned with the 17Ē blackstone. It is simple and works great. I bought a 15í hose so I can move to the best spot for cooking out of the wind if necessary.
The adapter shown above replaces the regulator but doesnít alter the grill in any permanent way.
tr_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_60 View Post
I bought a 15í hose so I can move to the best spot for cooking out of the wind if necessary.
Speaking of wind, Blackstone makes some wind shields, but IMO they're expensive and not that great.
So I made my own using some aluminum plates and magnets. I have four, and I just stick them where needed up/down. Packing up I just stick them to the cooking surface.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
We got the Weber Q1200 setup with an "RV hose" without the regulator (since the quick connect is already regulated at the tanks). I was shocked for a moment when I saw the crossed out price on Camping World, but after adding it to your cart it's $299, only a bit more than when we got ours. It's kinda bulky given its more rounded shape, but we like our Weber grills (we have a full size one at home as well).

I also got a hose with a regulator on one end and a quick connect on the other, so that we could use it from the quick connect or our little growler propane canister that we bring if we want to grill over at the site's picnic table or just further away from the trailer.
We have this same grill and like it okay. We use a Traeger Ranger and I like it better. It is heavier than the Q1200 but I think it is worth it. Plus it doesn't need propane. Just electricity and pellets.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
We have this same grill and like it okay. We use a Traeger Ranger and I like it better. It is heavier than the Q1200 but I think it is worth it. Plus it doesn't need propane. Just electricity and pellets.
The Traeger looks nice. We used to have a wood grill setup, but it was bulky. It could use anything though, pellets or logs and was electricity free. The convenience of a propane grill is just too good for us right now, especially with young kids.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:03 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I just purchased this hose to use. It fits my Blackstone and the portable fire pit.
There is no regulator needed as it uses the one from your propane tanks.

They have shorter as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FRYP6HS...t_details&th=1
Old 05-21-2024, 10:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Well even though you said you want a “ plug and play grill” you might be better off with a grill that suits your need and purchasing the following off Amazon. It would only take a crescent wrench (an adjustable wrench ) to convert. https://a.co/d/5QvnbST
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
I bought a different 25' hose on Amazon but it's no longer available. But this one has the quick disconnect for Blackstone and I think it would work with any other brand as well. I like the longer hose so I can position the stove most anywhere, and we have a gas firepit and I can use it for that as well.

I know the OP is looking at something portable, but we have a three burner Camp Chef I got at Costco. It folds up nicely but is heavy (56lbs). However, I do almost all our cooking outside when it's not raining so I don't have to worry about smoke and spatters on the inside of our million-dollar camper. And it's just nice cooking outside. I prefer burners over a flattop (there's a cast iron griddle/grill that comes with it) and we have a pizza oven that works great as well. The burners are a lot more powerful than our stove. We have a small charcoal grill also, but the fire pit grates with some preparation work pretty well for grilling so the charcoal grill hasn't gotten used much. Anyways, just sayin.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Portable grill for Airstream

I purchased the MAGMA grill while at the Maine International Rally in 2022.
It included both a regulator set-up for connection to a standard LP tank, AND a low-pressure set-up for quick connection to the low-pressure port on the front of our Flying Cloud.

Very impressed with the Magma quality (all stainless steel) as was I with the unit we had for years on our sailboat.

It is easy to switch from the low-pressure port on the trailer to the standard tank when waiting to move away from the Airstream, or use the grill elsewhere. Even bought a small 5-pound LP tank to use when desired.

Recommend looking into the Magma unit. AND it fits into a plastic tub nicely for transport and/or stowage!
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Additional grill info - Magma

Addition to earlier post:

Here is our set-up for the Magma grill, using a 5# propane tank. The same hose ďcanĒ run off the main Airstream tanks, as well, once one is disconnected from the trailer.

Hose in front of the grill is used with the Magma valve when quick-connected to the low-pressure outlet in the front of the trailer.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5596.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	443646  
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Royal gourmet GT1001

A few years ago I purchased this barbeque from Home Depot. I believe it was $100 Canadian. it was made by Royal gourmet it looks different though than this one on the Home Depot and Amazon website. The one I have has a hose with a regulator on the end thatís removable. I canít find the exact one online right now to show you, but itís very similar to this. I wasnít sure if it would work or not, but that was able to unscrew the short hose attached to a regulator and then I tested the hose that came with my airstream that was for a quick connect to see if it would work and it did, I then went to a barbeque store and they made me a custom hose of about 50 feet. I believe they charge me $25 for it. Itís worked fantastic ever since.
I love the look of the web, but itís very expensive especially when ordering from Canada.
I recently got a propane fire pit and Iím going to see if the barbeque place can make me a double ended quick connect so that I can keep both hoses plugged in the same time but obviously only one at a time just so I donít have to unplug and plugged back in every time.
Squampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
2024 25' Trade Wind
Manvel , Texas
With our previous Airstream I used a two burner Camp Chef stove (I have a griddle for one burner and a grill box of the other), it works great. I'll be using the same setup with our Trade Wind. I did have to remove the regulator and change the hose.

bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:42 AM   #18
Trekbiker

2017 30' Classic
Boonville , Missouri
We enjoy our 17” Blackstone Griddle. Perfect for two. Hose can be ordered on Amazon.
trekbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Another Blackstone user. Very happy with the unit. You can season the griddle in your home oven allowing you to season both sides.
I got my adapter and hoses from https://propanegear.com/. They will make up an extension hose in any length you want.
For wind deflectors, I took some common aluminum flashing squares and bent it to hang on the sides of the griddle.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I just got a long hose and attached it to a 30 pound tank in the front then run it to the grill. The quick connect might be easy but this is just the same thing.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote