Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Great Boondocking Oven

I just thought I would post this , so that anyone looking for a lightweight, compact portable oven could see if this might interest them. This would be a great solution for someone with a micro/convection oven for use while boondocking.

Do a search for "ovenette" on ebay. There are 3 complete sets up for sale, which is unusual. The pans are often missing. The meat pan is the most dificcult to find a replacement for.

I have one of these and really enjoy it. It will work on the stove top or on an outdoor propane stove. The outdoor use prevents the heat buildup durring the warmer months. It is the size of a cake cover MOL. The pans and rack nest inside. The pans can be used in a conventional oven also.

It uses a dry heat system, so the results are identical to a conventional oven. The top of the unit has a thermostat. It will cook meat, pies , cakes, bake potatos or anything else that a conventional oven does.

BTW- I am not a seller. I have never sold anyting on ebay.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You might be able to find one at a garage sale or a Salvation Army or other thrift store cheaper than E-bay. The "turbo plus-cooker "as seen on TV" product looks like about the same thing and is available new. If you are into "Retro" for you vintage Airstream, it really has the look.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
In a "vintage" world, "new" is relative...
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Not The Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
You might be able to find one at a garage sale or a Salvation Army or other thrift store cheaper than E-bay. The "turbo plus-cooker "as seen on TV" product looks like about the same thing and is available new. If you are into "Retro" for you vintage Airstream, it really has the look.
Since I own and have used both, I am certain they do not cook the same.

The turbocooker does not cook the same as a conventional oven. For example- A pie cannot be baked in it. Steamed pie crust is'nt too tasty.

As stated in my original post- If anyone is looking for a lightweight, portable, and compact alternative for a coventional oven, the ovenette will give identical results.

I hope my post and experience with the ovenette will be helpful to others that might be looking for an alternative while boondocking.

'shaker
Old 01-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Just thought I would post this link where the ovenette manual can be downloaded :

www.nationalserroscotty.org/resources/ovenette.html

This is a pdf file. The ovenette seems to be popular with the SerroScotty group. They have ovenette cook-offs.

The ebay price listed for a complete set is outdated from my experience. a complete, never used set goes from $50 or more depending on how many bidders.

Happy Trails, 'shaker
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I know nothing about steam ovens and the like and can assure you that after working as a cook, I will never participate in a cooking contest using steam.

This stream (just a water joke, no correction needed) is actually a perfect advertisement for the vintage trailers. The ovens worked on propane and cooked perfectly with minimal battery input to actuate gas valves. Refrigerators worked fine with gas with the flip of a toggle switch and twist of a gas knob. I am very sorry that I had to put a new Dometic in my vintage trailer but couldn't find anyone in the whole country that would repair it.

Sorry to hijack the thread and good luck with the steam. It's really only good after a good workout, in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Stovetop Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumin8 View Post
I know nothing about steam ovens and the like and can assure you that after working as a cook, I will never participate in a cooking contest using steam.

This stream (just a water joke, no correction needed) is actually a perfect advertisement for the vintage trailers. The ovens worked on propane and cooked perfectly with minimal battery input to actuate gas valves. Refrigerators worked fine with gas with the flip of a toggle switch and twist of a gas knob. I am very sorry that I had to put a new Dometic in my vintage trailer but couldn't find anyone in the whole country that would repair it.

Sorry to hijack the thread and good luck with the steam. It's really only good after a good workout, in my opinion.

Gee, at least know what you are talking about before opining.

The ovenette works on the stovetop.....Just follow the link.

'shaker
Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Rosemary & Seasoned Baked Pork Loin

Tested ours our in our home kitchen so we weren't rookies when we hit the road and really needed to feed ourselves. Turned out perfect!
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ovenette Roast.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	77903  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks for the heads up... one of these should be perfect for our 63 Bambi! It will be a good alternative for our dutch oven we use outdoors.... especially good in the rain! I will check these out! Can you cook most things in them?
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Thanks for the heads up... one of these should be perfect for our 63 Bambi! It will be a good alternative for our dutch oven we use outdoors.... especially good in the rain! I will check these out! Can you cook most things in them?
Yes you can, cooks just like an oven. Make sure you use the pans that come with or if you use other pans they need to be small enough for the heat to rise up through the vent holes and around the food pans which are about 8 inches in diameter but no more. Also need to use the rack to keep the pans up off the base.
I tried a larger pan for biscuits and they burned on the bottom and were not cooked on top because of this.
Cooking is one of our favorite things when camping and dutch oven cooking is something we also want to get good at.

James
Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Albany , Georgia
coleman makes an oven too

I have not used it in an airstream, but I have made breads and cookies on a camp stove
with one.

Name:   5010B700_x200.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  14.2 KB
meadowlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Any experience with these in an Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowlm View Post
I have not used it in an airstream, but I have made breads and cookies on a camp stove
with one.
Attachment 77989
Anyone use one of these in an Airstream on the stovetop? I did a bit of a search yesterday looking for perhaps a "newer" version of the ovenette and came up empty. Thought maybe someone might have something in stainless or teflon coated, or something...

Checked ebay... nada... I'll keep my eye out! Thanks.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
CaddyGrn,

You can set up a notification from ebay so you will be alerted when an ovenette comes up for sale.

You can bid on one that has the base and cover in good shape. Make sure you ask the seller for pics of top and bottom of the base. The cover needs the intact thermometer.

Also I accidentally found a source to get replacement pans while searching on Amazon for personal pizza pans. I wanted 2 of these so I could half the recipe of a standard 2 layer cake and pour the batter in these 2 little pans so I would end up with the perfect size 2 layer cake for 2 people.

Wilton Cake pans come in many different diameters and depths. I realized that the meat pan which is the most difficult to replace due to its high sides could be obtained through Wilton. Also the individual muffin cups could be replaced with their very small diameter cake pans. Of course the round cake pan and pie pan are quite easy to replace, as is the rack.

The instruction manual and recipe book can be downloaded from the link in my previous post.

I will try to remember to post the measurements of each pan when I go home at the end of May. Maybe someone else that has the complete set will post the dimensions before then.

Happy trails, 'shaker
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
NIB Ovenette on Ebay

Just thought I would let those that are interested in aquiring an ovenette know that a complete unit has been posted on Ebay. It is in great shape, although I think I incorrectly titled the post. Little used would be more accurate.

Appears the instruction manual is missing, but a PDF file is available for download on the link in my previous post.

Good Luck! 'shaker

PS- I am not the seller.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Replacement Pans For Ovenette

Just thought I would post a list of replacement pans for the West Bend Ovenette since this is the time of year they start popping up on Ebay.

I have seen the Ovenette without pans go for as little as $15.

Here is a list of pans that will work just as well as the original pans:

*-Meat Pan - This has always been the most difficult pan to replace, but not any more. It is actually better than the original since it is annodized and will not react with acidic foods such as wine, pineappple , etc. I purchased one and use it instead of the original since I like to use wine in my pot roast. Also makes a nifty pineapple upsidedown cake:

Fat Daddios Annodized Aluminum Contour Cake Pan with Rounded Bottom in the 8 in. X 3 in. size

*-Cake Pan - any 8in. X 2 in round cake pan without handles such as:

Wilton 8 in. X 2 in cake pan

*-Muffin Cups- the Ovenette originally came with 7 aluminum muffin cups. the Witon silicone are lightweight and very easy to clean:

Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Baking Cups, 3 inch , 12 count set

Hope anyone lookking for replacement pans finds this info helpful.

Happy trails,
'shaker
Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I checked eBay and none are listed as of yet. If anyone sees one listed please let us know. Thanks
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks for the information, I will keep an eye out for an Ovenette. Sounds great. None on Ebay now.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here is an electric Stanley Ovenette.
Stanley Ovenette | App-Cooker | Tin Signs-Save 20-40% W/Free Shipping 4000 Tin Signs-Starting $2.00-Same Day Shipping-Free Shipping 15 Signs-Ship Worldwide-Volume Discounts
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Guardian Service aluminum pans

Some of you may be familiar with the name, but Guardian Ware / Service pans, originally manufactured and sold back in the 40's, 50's, 60's(?dates), mostly in the midwest and east coast, were actually meant to be used as stovetop oven type use. They are a bit on the heavier side, but the are made of cast aluminum . They are very durable and are great for making pot roast & a variety of other items. They make all sorts of sizes. I own many, including the XXL turkey roaster. You'd have to find a users manual & or recipe book from them to figure out how to use for this purpose on the stovetop. I have one around somewhere. I'm sure you could find info through a internet search too. Many are for sale on Ebay too (pans & books).

Happy cooking!

Mary

Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Looks a lot like the Cobb Grill that uses BBQ Briquets instead of sitting on a stove top...The Cobb is used outside so you don't have to fill the trailer with cooking fumes, vapors, etc...

The Portable Grill Store - The ultimate portable Grill site and Barbecue for The Cobb Premier, Volcano and Outdoorchef City Grill camping, tailgating, RVs and boating grills.

We really like our Cobb - only uses a few briquets, and is fine for smaller meals for two or so - you can cook a whole chicken or tri tip roast...yummy!

Ray