Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
Thanks to all! We had a seamless crossing. The border agent just checked our papers, asked the usual questions and sent us on our way. I did notice he looked at our passports carefully but he explained that he had watched CFL last night and a player on one of the teams was from Waxahachie. The announcers discussed the proper pronunciation of it and where it was located. Then, to his surprise, we turned up at his booth today!

Good thing you didn't mention Dale Hansen . . . You'd still be waiting . . . Reallllllllyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It isn't the TSA at the borders, it is the CBP (Customs and Border Patrol..). They are supposed to use combinations of people-reading and computer database history to determine which returnees merit a more thorough search. When we came back, CBP asked to look in trailer, but were claiming to be more concerned that people might have been hidden in the trailer. Store-bought apples made it home with us.. Within the past few years, perhaps because they are so ineffective at southern borders, they have seemingly become more aggressive elsewhere. They've stopped pilots in small planes on domestic flights with SWAT teams, dogs and machine guns for warrantless searches, and made the Fruit and Veggie searches more dramatic than they need to be. That said, I'd never miss a chance to get back to Canadian Rockies or BC over a few oranges or potatoes.. As long as you aren't packing guns, the Canadians are very welcoming coming into Canada, especially on less busy routes...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I forgot about Dale! Maybe I should mention him on the way back in.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
We decided that was our last trip to Canada with the Airstream. The game ain't worth the candle.
Too bad when it's not even Canada's fault.

We are heading back in a few weeks and when we come back into the US you won't even be able to smell a fruit or vegetable in the trailer.

When they inspected us we had to wait in the building while they inspected. I gave them the keys to the trailer and then panicked that they would unlock it and leave the key in the door when they opened it, denting the trailer. I ran out to warn them, catching it just in time.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I have throughly enjoyed all my trips inside Canada. It is a most delightful place with sights and people that beg a return visit. However, based on border guard behaviour, I'll be flying in and out in the future.

My last crossing revealed a concern that seemed ludicrous as they were fixated on getting serial numbers off all my appliances and technology items to ensure I wasn't importing or exporting stuff without the proper authority/paperwork. Attitudes could have been greatly improved had the US staff gotten a good night's sleep before appearing for work that morning. I concur with Nuvite-F!

I was treated better by a surprise INS inspection near Big Bend NP when stopped and searched by canines and armed guards trailing mules who had just crossed the river.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The French don't surrender without a toast.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are preparing to go back across. Do you get the forms to declare everything at the border? The only website I have found about food is TSA for traveling and that doesn't seem to fit. Thanks everyone!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quick! Eat everything!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
They will just ask you. If they pull you aside for more investigation they will give you a form to fill out and ask a bunch of questions

Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Glad to see the OP negotiated the border both ways without too many problems.

We cross into the US from Canada occasionally with the Airstream and we've had no issues so far (other than the three hours wait just to get to the booth last time!).

On the issue of food, we simply play it safe and take no food whatsoever when we head south. This may sound like overkill but there are a number of circumstances that make it a practical option.

Firstly, there are plenty of good places to buy food in the US. It's marginally cheaper, too, so we always schedule a grocery stop once we're over the border. If we're going to Upstate New York then we HAVE to stop at a Wegman's.

Secondly,we live close(ish) to the border so it's always at the start of our journey; we don't want avoidable complications at the start of a trip.

Thirdly, I'm traveling on a UK passport, which can sometimes require a stop in the office to get the paperwork sorted; painful enough but with the added complication of a "Fruit Violation" it could get difficult.

So, no food at all works for us.

We crossed at Windsor/Detroit early one Sunday morning and the border guard clearly didn't believe me when I said we no food at all, so he headed into the trailer and did a search. He looked sort of crestfallen when he came out and I so wanted to say "I told you so", but thought that wouldn't be a wise move

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The problem doesn't seem to be so much traveling from the US into Canada, but travelers returning home to the US after a Canadian vacation.

This is an overview of permitted and prohibited foods:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Country of origin for certain foodstuffs does seem to matter, so it's best to keep food in its original packaging. The rice issue seems kind of funny, but then if you take US rice in a US country-of-origin container, it shouldn't be a problem. The produce permitted/not permitted can change, so it's best to check just prior to your trip.

Some of it seems picky, but then it's hard to blame US customs for trying to keep serious agricultural pests out of the country.

We typically bring things like bread, cookies, dried and canned staples in our cupboard, but buy fresh produce, meat, and dog food (counts as meat,) wine, and beer in the US when we head south.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The US border guards told us one time not to take the fruit labels off the fruit because they tell the country of origin. When I wash fruit, I take the labels off to rinse off the entire piece of fruit, but no, if there's any bacteria under them, too bad. Makes no sense to me. I suppose I'm supposed to rinse them again. Some fruit, like grapes, comes in bags which will tell the country of origin. So am I supposed to rinse the grapes and bag? Then put it back in the bag? And how do I dry the bag and each grape so they don't rot from being wet? And what if I make fruit salad?

At the California bug stations, they ask you where the fruit came from. The US isn't good enough because they prohibit fruit from certain states. So far, nothing has happened entering Cal., but it could. There is a website that tells you how to avoid bug stations when there's an alternative route. I've never bothered, but it is an option.

Long ago, there were roads into the US from Canada where there was only a sign saying report to customs when you get to town. I crossed into Vermont about 50 years ago and never stopped at customs. I suppose the statute of limitations has expired by now. Sixty years ago when my father was driving out of Mexico he took the wrong road out and missed the Mexican exit station. Behind us I could see Mexican border guards running around and shouting at us; my father just drove into the US. I come from a family of illegal border crossers.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote