Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Crock Pot on the Road

Not sure if this has been addressed before, my apologies if it has.

We were wondering if anyone has used a crock pot to cook dinner while travelling through the day. I looked at the crock pot that we have and it draws 240 Watts. We have a 1500 Watt inverter in our trailer. So here is the plan. Put the crock pot in the sink with a towel wrapped around it for stability. Turn the inverter on, plug the crock pot in and off we go down the road.

We are presuming (rightly or wrongly?) that with the trailer connected to the tow vehicle and with solar panels connected, we shouldn't drain the batteries.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 240 watts is about a 20 amp draw at 12 volts which is a fairly substantial load. However, I bet your crock pot has two speeds, low and high, and only the high requires the full 240 watts, with low being maybe half of that. I usually run mine on low at home. I guess I would just go ahead and try it once when you know you are going to have grid power at the end of the towing day in case it does pull your batteries down too much. Then you could recharge using the converter/charger and be good for the evening and overnight.

BTW the charge line from the tow vehicle will usually only deliver 6 to 8 amps maximum on most setups. The best my Argosy will deliver is about 6 amps, the Airstream (newer) can run 10 to 11 amps in some cases.

If you have access to a Kill A Watt meter, you can measure the actual crock pot wattage on low and high. Divide that number by about 10 to find the approximate amps needed at 12 volts.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If you prefer "Fast" food, how about this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExhaustBurger1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	247449  
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
So here is the plan. Put the crock pot in the sink with a towel wrapped around it for stability. Turn the inverter on, plug the crock pot in and off we go down the road.
No towel. Fire hazard. Plus it won't make the crock pot any more stable. If you want to keep it from tipping over in the sink, use a bungee cord. Attach one end to the sink faucet, attach the other end to a drawer pull or cabinet door handle under the sink, and adjust so the cord is tight over the crock pot lid. The bungee cord running over the lid should keep the lid in place as well as keeping the pot from tipping over, with a lot less danger of putting a piece of flammable cloth next to a heating element.

An even better option may be to get a 12vDC crock pot (I have a RoadPro 1˝-quart model that features a strap-down lid to keep it from spilling) and plug it directly into your tow vehicle's 12v power outlet. That way the crock pot is in the tow vehicle where you can keep an eye on it, and you're not depleting the house batteries.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
How do you like your road pro?
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
How about this instead?

http://www.amazon.ca/Manifold-Destin.../dp/1416596232
Old 09-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
How do you like your road pro?
It's adequate, but to me a crock pot is a crock pot is a crock pot. I don't really use the RoadPro for cooking, just for keeping things warm. I'll cook the meal in a larger 120vAC crock pot the night before, and just transfer one meal's worth to the RoadPro in the morning before heading out.

The RoadPro only has one control, on/off, and only one temperature. But one nice feature is that the on/off switch is on the power cord, not on the pot itself, so when I set the crock pot on the passenger-side footwell (it can't fall off the floor) and bungee-cord it to the front of the passenger seat to keep it in place while driving, I can still reach the control which is conveniently close to the dashboard.

Now that I have my Interstate I don't use the RoadPro as often as I used to when all of my traveling was done in a Dodge Durango SUV, but I still use it on occasion in my toad for day trips. Beats stopping for artery-hardening fast food…
Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
NPR Car Talk had that topic of discussion a number of years ago. It's kind of what I was thinking when I first started reading this thread. I think I tried some canned food many years ago; not a good experience. But the reviews say it's a good read.

I'm sure any food in aluminum foil would have a distinct hot engine grease aroma. I'll stick with the microwave to reheat food I cooked before we left the last CG.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What about a pressure cooker on the stove top. Is that a good substitute for a crock pot?

Kelvin
Old 09-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What about a pressure cooker on the stove top. Is that a good substitute for a crock pot?
Not while the Airstream is in motion! You should never cook anything on the stove unless there is a person in attendance. The consequences of a burner's flame going out while the trailer is in motion and no one is around to notice are too dire to even consider the idea.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I've forgotten which forums member should get the credit, but you might check this link I copied from a recent post. It looks like it might be your solution. Cooks the food with residual heat retained by good insulation. Just get the food boiling well on the stove top, put it in the insulated bag, turn everything off, and go. No additional energy needed to cause a potential problem.

Home page

It's really wonderbagworld.com
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I didn't read about the crock pot running while in motion. Yes, of course you shouldn't travel with anything on the stove.

I just wondered if a pressure cooker is a good substitute for a electric crock pot. You could cook meals a lot faster than with a crock pot.

Kelvin
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I just wondered if a pressure cooker is a good substitute for a electric crock pot.
Of course! Crock pots were originally invented as a substitute for Dutch ovens and pressure cookers.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I've forgotten which forums member should get the credit, but you might check this link I copied from a recent post. It looks like it might be your solution. Cooks the food with residual heat retained by good insulation. Just get the food boiling well on the stove top, put it in the insulated bag, turn everything off, and go. No additional energy needed to cause a potential problem.

Home page

It's really wonderbagworld.com
Interesting! Anybody have experience using this? ‘Tho, I sure love winter camping smelling dinner being prepared in the crockpot throughout the day...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
NPR Car Talk had that topic of discussion a number of years ago. It's kind of what I was thinking when I first started reading this thread. I think I tried some canned food many years ago; not a good experience. But the reviews say it's a good read.

I'm sure any food in aluminum foil would have a distinct hot engine grease aroma. I'll stick with the microwave to reheat food I cooked before we left the last CG.
I posted that link as a joke. When I first heard of auto manifold cooking, I thought it was the wackiest thing yet.

I'm sure it created the spin-off, Hotel Room Iron, Hair Dryer, and Coffee Maker Cooking.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
.... I don't have anything against saving a bit of money, but most hotels have a bar fridge. I just head to the local grocery store and stock it with yogurt, fruit, some cooked chicken, salad fixings etc. While in LA recently, loved the take-out salad bar at Ralph's!! Greens, shrimp, salmon....wow! Wish our supermarkets carried same.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I posted that link as a joke. When I first heard of auto manifold cooking, I thought it was the wackiest thing yet.
Not that wacky. I seem to recall hearing about soldiers who would heat MREs on Hum-Vee engine manifolds before the MREs started coming with heat packs.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Check out a " Can Cooker" I have used many times. I have the small version and serves 6-8. Takes about 30-45 minutes from heat to table. It is a glorified pressure cooker and can be used on stove, grill or camp fire. I carry a small electric hot plate I got at Aldi for $10.00 for the heat source.
I like to do a "boil" in it.

mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
What about something like this? A thermal cooker...

http://www.saratogajacks.com/faqs.htm

I'm no expert on them, but I'm intrigued by the option. Would be great for boondocking, presumably, too. I can't get onboard with the idea of leaving it plugged in back there (and I'll leave it plugged in at home without worry), bouncing around. I also lobby aggressively against using a towel to stabilize in the sink, if you do it. Definite fire hazard.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
And there is always Roy's Car-B-Q invention on "Wings".
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote