Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Austin , Texas
Cooking Inside or Outside?

We are new to the airstream world and getting ready to go on our first extended trip for several months. I'm curious about how much cooking is done inside or outside, provided the decision is not predetermined by weather or other factors.
imcabbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've seen a lot of people do both, but it depends on weather and what you feel like doing.

Some folks grill outside, use a crockpot, etc.

I have found that cooking anything aromatic inside requires the vent fan on, to prevent everything inside from smelling like what you are cooking.

Maggie
Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Cooking in the galley is pretty much a one-person operation. Once you have your routine, the presence of another person only complicates things so we try to hybridize the operation. Maybe meat on the grill, side dishes from the galley or Crock Pot meal (indoors or out).

Mid-summer, it is nice to avoid using the oven...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It's important to consider a few things when cooking indoors:

Cooking produces moisture/humidity. Not only from the evaporation of moisture in foods...but also as the result of burning LP gas. (The byproduct of combustion is carbon-dioxide, carbon-monoxide, and water-vapor.) Moisture will contribute to formation of condensation ON and IN walls and cabinets and will promote the growth of dangerous and unsightly MOLD.

IF you cook indoors, ...in order to reduce that humidity problem you will want to run your exhaust fans (Overhead Fantastic Fan Vent and/or Range-Exhaust.)

IF you run those fans... you will want to open a window... to allow air to enter the Airstream.... OR you will suck air down the black-tank-ventilation and fill your Airstream with STINK. Opening that window will let outside air and outside temperature to come inside ...and will carry any smells, humidity, etc. along with it.

Cooking indoors will probably add greasy residue to the atmosphere inside the Airstream and increase your housekeeping chores.

My wife and I will warm things in the microwave, and we brew coffee on the range.... but we run the Fantastic Fan Vent with a bathroom window open when we cook and when we bathe....to remove humidity. In winter, we run a small electric heater on top of the lavatory/vanity to add heat to the incoming window air, which vastly improves the situation.

Hope that helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have used my crockpot outside many times, too....just set it up on the picnic table, and let it go.

Avoids the indoor food odors.

Maggie
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Cooking outside just means more time...outside! We cook in the camper sometimes but with the fire pit, propane grill, Dutch oven, instant pot and induction stovetop we can do pretty much most cooking outside - under the awning with much of that if it's raining too. Cooking camping breakfast in a fire pit is pretty darn awesome too....as are the many Dutch oven recipes DW masterfully handles....when the heck does camping season start?!?!?! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If I am hooked up and have a 30a shore power for the convection micro-wave, I have no issue in baking and/or reheating inside the trailer. If I am not on shore power and need to do some baking, I'll generally do it on the egg outdoors.

When hooked up however, pizzas, meats, etc., are usually always done on the egg, outdoors. I'll cook rice or steam veggies inside on the stovetop still; or cook my oatmeal in the morning therein.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Both.
Cook inside with Crock Pot or convection microwave.
Cook outside with state park grill, campfire, electric griddle.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

1971 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
I do both. Weather permitting, I cook in the fire pit most of the time and prep the rest inside.
Missmoorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
INSIDE cooking is limited to: Rice, Pasta, Boiling Eggs, etc, notice, those are non aromatic ingredients.

OUTSIDE cooking is for bacon, sausages, steaks, seafood, etc notice those are aromatic ingredients.

Baking is another consideration. When baking, cookies, cakes, deserts, those smell great, so no problem INSIDE.

Baking stuff that smells: seafood for example, find an alternate solution.

If you have the space, bring a portable oven.

Good luck.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
If I am hooked up and have a 30a shore power for the convection micro-wave, I have no issue in baking and/or reheating inside the trailer. If I am not on shore power and need to do some baking, I'll generally do it on the egg outdoors.

When hooked up however, pizzas, meats, etc., are usually always done on the egg, outdoors. I'll cook rice or steam veggies inside on the stovetop still; or cook my oatmeal in the morning therein.

Do you have a special way to transport your egg, pretty heavy to move around? What size?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Our answer is similar to the others. Coffee inside almost always. With shore power we use a small drip coffee maker, with no power, a small stainless steel percolator.

We carry a small propane grill, a dutch oven, and a butane one burner like the omelet guy uses at the breakfast buffet (small, light, and inexpensive). I prefer to cook outside, but don't hesitate to use the galley. On rare occasion we'll do both, for the extra burner space.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I set up an outdoor kitchen with a Coleman stove and a Smoky Joe grill. That leaves baking to be done inside. New trailers have pull out canopies, ours does not. So we set up a canopy and spend most of our time outdoors under the canopy for shade. I like cooking outdoors for all the reasons listed above. We wash dishes in the trailer after each meal - but we tend to use paper plates at lunch. On the road we use a french press for coffee which requires me to get out early and get the stove going to boil water but I'm a morning person anyway. In rain / cold weather we move everything inside and deal with it -
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I do a lot of cooking indoors, but I am careful about greasy and smelly foods. I use an electric frypan outdoors for those. We haven't found a grill that works for us. When we do, we'll use it a lot more! I don't particularly like going inside and out all the time during food preparation.

Boxite makes indoor cooking seem disastrous : it's not really. Venting is important, though.

What is an egg?
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It's important to consider a few things when cooking indoors:

Cooking produces moisture/humidity. Not only from the evaporation of moisture in foods...but also as the result of burning LP gas. (The byproduct of combustion is carbon-dioxide, carbon-monoxide, and water-vapor.) Moisture will contribute to formation of condensation ON and IN walls and cabinets and will promote the growth of dangerous and unsightly MOLD.

IF you cook indoors, ...in order to reduce that humidity problem you will want to run your exhaust fans (Overhead Fantastic Fan Vent and/or Range-Exhaust.)

IF you run those fans... you will want to open a window... to allow air to enter the Airstream.... OR you will suck air down the black-tank-ventilation and fill your Airstream with STINK. Opening that window will let outside air and outside temperature to come inside ...and will carry any smells, humidity, etc. along with it.

Cooking indoors will probably add greasy residue to the atmosphere inside the Airstream and increase your housekeeping chores.

My wife and I will warm things in the microwave, and we brew coffee on the range.... but we run the Fantastic Fan Vent with a bathroom window open when we cook and when we bathe....to remove humidity. In winter, we run a small electric heater on top of the lavatory/vanity to add heat to the incoming window air, which vastly improves the situation.

Hope that helps.
Never thought of all that. Thank you for the insight and explanation. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Mellinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
For a long trip, go prepared to do a little of both. Nothing tastes quite as good as food cooked outside over a campfire or in a Dutch oven, but sometimes that doesn't work. Your campsite may be under a burn ban. Your favorite dish might be something that's best cooked inside. You may have had a long day's travel and be too tired for anything but the microwave. You might actually find a fantastic restaurant you want to try.

In other words, we use a variety of cooking techniques at home, so why not do that on the road?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Apopka , Florida
An "egg" I believe is referring to a Big Green Egg ceramic grill. Great versatility in cooking but VERY heavy. I have one at home but it is much too large to travel with. Curious to know what size one would take on the road?
Suzbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Search for BruceB in these forums and their use of the traveling green egg [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
The Big Green Egg:http://biggreenegg.com/how-do-you-like-your-eggs/

One of the best cooking options in our arsenal. Comes in many sizes. We thought we had the smallest one but recently saw an even smaller one for sale. I believe ours is the minimax/ 13" or so. Works well for 2-4 travelers. Great for anything from steaks, taters to fresh local seafood. Also makes amazing homemade grilled pizzas! We use small pizza stone or a salt plate too. Pretty amazing especially if you enjoy home cooked meals on the road.

Bon appetit'

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I prefer to cook outdoors, however, I always make our coffee inside as I preheat my water 207 degrees before adding it to my french press. I also make our steal oats indoors and will bake occasionally in the convection oven. Whenever I turn the stove on I make sure the vent is open even though for the most part what I cook inside does not make an odor. On occasion I have made pancakes and even bacon inside however if you do expect the smoke alarm to go off.

I often prep my food inside but will finish it outside either on my infrared grill or on my induction top. If need be I also carry a Coleman propane stove that I often use for making breakfast outside.

I like the idea of the mini green egg. I use a large BGE at home and if the mini was available awhile back I might have bought it. If you do remember it is ceramic and must be packed safely.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote