Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Cookin' in the Modern Globetrotter

We downsized, sold our home of 17 years, and now live full time in our 2019 27 FBQ Globetrotter. We don’t consider ourselves “campers” in the sense that we hardly ever cookout on a fire, cook meals outside, or use a grill. While space is tight, with some creative planning, we are able to prepare our meals from scratch (no frozen/boxed/canned meals) including baking bread.

We want to start a thread about cooking in the modern Globetrotter galley using the Dometic CU434 range and the challenges of small space cooking. We use the oven daily. Our 3 quart Instant Pot gets a workout as well. (NOTE: As a personal preference, we removed the microwave oven for more pantry space. We never use/cook with a microwave, even when we were in our S&B home. Jackson Center made us a drawer pullout for this space similar to the other pantry pullout.)

Our next modification is to remove the sofa and have JC make a cabinet similar to the photo below. Our desire is to create additional space in the galley for storage and food prep.

Are there others out there who use their galley this way? If so, what modifications have you made, and how do you use your galley for meal preparation and cooking? What sorts of things do you cook from scratch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What we want.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	331195  
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
So when I say downsize, here is a picture of the kitchen in our old home, and our new kitchen in the Globetrotter. Our old kitchen had a professional range and oven and tons of counter space. Has taken some adjustment to work in the small Globetrotter galley! In the photo is a peach cobbler made from scratch when we were camping in Ohio this summer using peaches from a roadside stand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old Kitchen.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	331197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohio Cobbler.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	331198  

Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Made in the Galley

In addition to the peach cobbler, here are some other things we've made:
  • A loaf of cheese bread
  • Cinnamon rolls with cheese and sausage grits
  • Buttermilk biscuits

All made with organic ingredients.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12.17.18 Cheese Bread.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	331201   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.25.18 Christmas Cinnimon Rolls.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	331202  

Name:	01.06.19 Buttermilk Biscuits.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	331204  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Although we have a different model, we are also big into cooking.

One of the most useful items we have is this John Boos cutting board. It is a great way to add a heat proof surface next to the stove top. It will span across the sink we have (the round one), you can take it to the table for prep, or to use as a large heat proof service surface.

We also do tend to cook outside, as we live in BBQ country. This is great for prepping ribs for smoking, or for setting on a pic nic table that is painted so you can place hot pans on it directly.

This travels on the floor of the wardrobe closet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3919 (1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	331207  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on your new Great adventure. I think sharing recipes and ideas about cooking in our Airstream is an excellent idea. I love my 3 quart Instapot also. I will be looking forward to your new blog. Loved your old kitchen, love your new kitchen. I was never a good cook and I am learning to cook since we purchased our Airstream . Hope to learn lots from your new blog.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
In addition to the peach cobbler, here are some other things we've made:
  • A loaf of cheese bread
  • Cinnamon rolls with cheese and sausage grits
  • Buttermilk biscuits

All made with organic ingredients.
“Cinnamon Rollls with cheese and sausage grits.....”

Please post recipe :-)
Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We had the grand lounge done by Ultimate Airstream.sister company of adventure northwest Airstream. They can get the matching laminates and corian. We just picked oursup in September. Great work. Contact Mike Moser at the Seattle airstream dealer. He can get you a quote. We live our new cabinets and have tons of space. I would add pictures but can’t figure out how to get to my ohotos on my Iphone. I
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
DIY Added counterspace and storage

Not needing the long lounge and wanting more counterspace in my 25 International CCD FBQ I copied the wine cabinet in the Tommy Bahama and the unit by Ultimate Airstream.
I rearranged the cushions and then inserted a cabinet with a butcher block top. Since I wanted a microwave I placed that below the cabinet. I ran a power cord from the outlet under the dinette table. It is easy to revert back to the stock configuration by removing the cabinet and re-arranging the cushions. I posted this mod on the International category last year.
Here's a couple of pics:

Name:	Airstream cabinet 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	331296

Name:	Airstream cabinet 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	331297
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Following, assuming this will be an ongoing “thread.” If there will also be a “blog” as eluded to by redhat200 how do we subscribe?

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
Hi Steve, I would love to help start a cooking blog or thread here. I have been writing a column in the Blue Beret on the Art of Airstream cooking since last year. There is a lot to cover! Not just recipes, but kitchen tools, storage, the wonky oven and small appliances. I’ll be at the International rally in Virginia this summer and presenting on some of these very things. Will you both be attending? I’d love to find out what issues others are having and what is most needed. Recipes are only one step. That’s the easy part, lol. We have a 27 FB International Serenity. You can also find me on Instagram @upnorthbread. Email is upnorthbread@icloud.com if you wish to brainstorm. Gina
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read View Post
“Cinnamon Rollls with cheese and sausage grits.....”

Please post recipe :-)
The cinnamon rolls are not ready for prime time yet. We're still experimenting. When we get perfected we'll post.

For the grits, my wife needs to write down the recipe. I'll post after we get written down. I can tell you we make them in the 3 Qt. Instant Pot The grits are stone ground organic grits and they are soaked overnight.

Steve
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperchick View Post
Hi Steve, I would love to help start a cooking blog or thread here. I have been writing a column in the Blue Beret on the Art of Airstream cooking since last year. There is a lot to cover! Not just recipes, but kitchen tools, storage, the wonky oven and small appliances. I’ll be at the International rally in Virginia this summer and presenting on some of these very things. Will you both be attending? I’d love to find out what issues others are having and what is most needed. Recipes are only one step. That’s the easy part, lol. We have a 27 FB International Serenity. You can also find me on Instagram @upnorthbread. Email is upnorthbread@icloud.com if you wish to brainstorm. Gina
Very cool Gina! Would love your participation and insight. Everything in the small galley is a challenge and you are right, there is a lot to cover. In addition to the topics you mention I would add clean up and how to prepare good meals or dishes and minimize the cleanup. For example instead of using a cutting board we might cut something on a paper plate then just pitch the plate (depending on what you are cutting). Storage that you mention is a big problem. We use a Container Store padded and comparmented glassware storage case to put spices of all things in. The case fits nicely at the top of our galley cabinet.

Don't know our plans for summer yet or the VA rally. Depends somewhat on when Jackson Center can fit us into their schedule. We were planning to head out west but may need to stick to the East Coast. We'll see.

Steve
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Although we have a different model, we are also big into cooking.

One of the most useful items we have is this John Boos cutting board. It is a great way to add a heat proof surface next to the stove top. It will span across the sink we have (the round one), you can take it to the table for prep, or to use as a large heat proof service surface.

We also do tend to cook outside, as we live in BBQ country. This is great for prepping ribs for smoking, or for setting on a pic nic table that is painted so you can place hot pans on it directly.

This travels on the floor of the wardrobe closet.
Great idea! We're lucky that the new Globetrotter comes with two corian panels that fit over the sink that we can use when needed as a work surface. There's also a place to store the panels in the overhead locker for travel. I'm not sure I could use them as a cutting board though.

I love the artwork you have next to your stove!

Steve
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We had the grand lounge done by Ultimate Airstream.sister company of adventure northwest Airstream. They can get the matching laminates and corian. We just picked oursup in September. Great work. Contact Mike Moser at the Seattle airstream dealer. He can get you a quote. We live our new cabinets and have tons of space. I would add pictures but can’t figure out how to get to my ohotos on my Iphone. I
This sounds like what we want to do or very similar. Would love to see some pictures!

Steve
Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratch View Post
Not needing the long lounge and wanting more counterspace in my 25 International CCD FBQ I copied the wine cabinet in the Tommy Bahama and the unit by Ultimate Airstream.
I rearranged the cushions and then inserted a cabinet with a butcher block top. Since I wanted a microwave I placed that below the cabinet. I ran a power cord from the outlet under the dinette table. It is easy to revert back to the stock configuration by removing the cabinet and re-arranging the cushions. I posted this mod on the International category last year.
Nicely done! I like that what you did is reversible.

Steve
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Although we aren’t full time, we do a lot o cooking in our airstream. I have the cutting boards over the dual sinks as well as the cutting board over the stove. Also, we have the counter extender. I feel like it is plenty of space for cooking and I only have a 25” Safari.

I am a light packer, though, and don’t keep lots of pans or gadgets. Much of what I use needs to have more than one purpose ( my purge pot doubles as a chip/popcorn bowl).

We do grill outside as well, but at least one or two meals per day is inside the airstream.

Our local grocery store now has raw chicken and beef pre-chopped, so not only does this save on cooking time, it saves counter space for prep. I’ve also learned to prep what I can between meals (chopping vegetables, preparing casseroles, etc). It saves space and time in the long run.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Great idea! We're lucky that the new Globetrotter comes with two corian panels that fit over the sink that we can use when needed as a work surface. There's also a place to store the panels in the overhead locker for travel. I'm not sure I could use them as a cutting board though.

I love the artwork you have next to your stove!

Steve
Thanks. The frame is from Ikea and has plastic "glass" so very light weight. Attached with commercial sticky back velcro. The image is from a calendar.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Cookin' in the Modern Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post

YClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7680.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	331378Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7679.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	331379

We, too, had a grand lounge installed. The large cabinet was what sold me. Also, as you can see, there’s a world of upholstery color out there.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
YAttachment 331378Attachment 331379

We, too, had a grand lounge installed. The large cabinet was what sold me. Also, as you can see, there’s a world of upholstery color out there.

That's great, really great. I just want the cabinet.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Yooperchick I think many of us that read this forum would be interested in your ideas. A lot of us do not belong to the Wally club but read this forum.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote