Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Cookin' in the Modern Globetrotter

We downsized, sold our home of 17 years, and now live full time in our 2019 27 FBQ Globetrotter. We don’t consider ourselves “campers” in the sense that we hardly ever cookout on a fire, cook meals outside, or use a grill. While space is tight, with some creative planning, we are able to prepare our meals from scratch (no frozen/boxed/canned meals) including baking bread.

We want to start a thread about cooking in the modern Globetrotter galley using the Dometic CU434 range and the challenges of small space cooking. We use the oven daily. Our 3 quart Instant Pot gets a workout as well. (NOTE: As a personal preference, we removed the microwave oven for more pantry space. We never use/cook with a microwave, even when we were in our S&B home. Jackson Center made us a drawer pullout for this space similar to the other pantry pullout.)

Our next modification is to remove the sofa and have JC make a cabinet similar to the photo below. Our desire is to create additional space in the galley for storage and food prep.

Are there others out there who use their galley this way? If so, what modifications have you made, and how do you use your galley for meal preparation and cooking? What sorts of things do you cook from scratch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What we want.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	331195  
__________________

__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
So when I say downsize, here is a picture of the kitchen in our old home, and our new kitchen in the Globetrotter. Our old kitchen had a professional range and oven and tons of counter space. Has taken some adjustment to work in the small Globetrotter galley! In the photo is a peach cobbler made from scratch when we were camping in Ohio this summer using peaches from a roadside stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Kitchen.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	331197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohio Cobbler.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	331198  

__________________

__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Made in the Galley

In addition to the peach cobbler, here are some other things we've made:
  • A loaf of cheese bread
  • Cinnamon rolls with cheese and sausage grits
  • Buttermilk biscuits

All made with organic ingredients.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.17.18 Cheese Bread.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	331201   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.25.18 Christmas Cinnimon Rolls.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	331202  

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.06.19 Buttermilk Biscuits.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	331204  
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,525
Although we have a different model, we are also big into cooking.

One of the most useful items we have is this John Boos cutting board. It is a great way to add a heat proof surface next to the stove top. It will span across the sink we have (the round one), you can take it to the table for prep, or to use as a large heat proof service surface.

We also do tend to cook outside, as we live in BBQ country. This is great for prepping ribs for smoking, or for setting on a pic nic table that is painted so you can place hot pans on it directly.

This travels on the floor of the wardrobe closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919 (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	331207  
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 150
Congratulations on your new Great adventure. I think sharing recipes and ideas about cooking in our Airstream is an excellent idea. I love my 3 quart Instapot also. I will be looking forward to your new blog. Loved your old kitchen, love your new kitchen. I was never a good cook and I am learning to cook since we purchased our Airstream . Hope to learn lots from your new blog.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
In addition to the peach cobbler, here are some other things we've made:
  • A loaf of cheese bread
  • Cinnamon rolls with cheese and sausage grits
  • Buttermilk biscuits

All made with organic ingredients.
“Cinnamon Rollls with cheese and sausage grits.....”

Please post recipe :-)
Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 146
We had the grand lounge done by Ultimate Airstream.sister company of adventure northwest Airstream. They can get the matching laminates and corian. We just picked oursup in September. Great work. Contact Mike Moser at the Seattle airstream dealer. He can get you a quote. We live our new cabinets and have tons of space. I would add pictures but can’t figure out how to get to my ohotos on my Iphone. I
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
DIY Added counterspace and storage

Not needing the long lounge and wanting more counterspace in my 25 International CCD FBQ I copied the wine cabinet in the Tommy Bahama and the unit by Ultimate Airstream.
I rearranged the cushions and then inserted a cabinet with a butcher block top. Since I wanted a microwave I placed that below the cabinet. I ran a power cord from the outlet under the dinette table. It is easy to revert back to the stock configuration by removing the cabinet and re-arranging the cushions. I posted this mod on the International category last year.
Here's a couple of pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream cabinet 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	331296

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream cabinet 3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	331297
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
369goose's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 221
Following, assuming this will be an ongoing “thread.” If there will also be a “blog” as eluded to by redhat200 how do we subscribe?

Thanks
__________________
☘ 369goose

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 20
Hi Steve, I would love to help start a cooking blog or thread here. I have been writing a column in the Blue Beret on the Art of Airstream cooking since last year. There is a lot to cover! Not just recipes, but kitchen tools, storage, the wonky oven and small appliances. I’ll be at the International rally in Virginia this summer and presenting on some of these very things. Will you both be attending? I’d love to find out what issues others are having and what is most needed. Recipes are only one step. That’s the easy part, lol. We have a 27 FB International Serenity. You can also find me on Instagram @upnorthbread. Email is upnorthbread@icloud.com if you wish to brainstorm. Gina
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read View Post
“Cinnamon Rollls with cheese and sausage grits.....”

Please post recipe :-)
The cinnamon rolls are not ready for prime time yet. We're still experimenting. When we get perfected we'll post.

For the grits, my wife needs to write down the recipe. I'll post after we get written down. I can tell you we make them in the 3 Qt. Instant Pot The grits are stone ground organic grits and they are soaked overnight.

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperchick View Post
Hi Steve, I would love to help start a cooking blog or thread here. I have been writing a column in the Blue Beret on the Art of Airstream cooking since last year. There is a lot to cover! Not just recipes, but kitchen tools, storage, the wonky oven and small appliances. I’ll be at the International rally in Virginia this summer and presenting on some of these very things. Will you both be attending? I’d love to find out what issues others are having and what is most needed. Recipes are only one step. That’s the easy part, lol. We have a 27 FB International Serenity. You can also find me on Instagram @upnorthbread. Email is upnorthbread@icloud.com if you wish to brainstorm. Gina
Very cool Gina! Would love your participation and insight. Everything in the small galley is a challenge and you are right, there is a lot to cover. In addition to the topics you mention I would add clean up and how to prepare good meals or dishes and minimize the cleanup. For example instead of using a cutting board we might cut something on a paper plate then just pitch the plate (depending on what you are cutting). Storage that you mention is a big problem. We use a Container Store padded and comparmented glassware storage case to put spices of all things in. The case fits nicely at the top of our galley cabinet.

Don't know our plans for summer yet or the VA rally. Depends somewhat on when Jackson Center can fit us into their schedule. We were planning to head out west but may need to stick to the East Coast. We'll see.

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Although we have a different model, we are also big into cooking.

One of the most useful items we have is this John Boos cutting board. It is a great way to add a heat proof surface next to the stove top. It will span across the sink we have (the round one), you can take it to the table for prep, or to use as a large heat proof service surface.

We also do tend to cook outside, as we live in BBQ country. This is great for prepping ribs for smoking, or for setting on a pic nic table that is painted so you can place hot pans on it directly.

This travels on the floor of the wardrobe closet.
Great idea! We're lucky that the new Globetrotter comes with two corian panels that fit over the sink that we can use when needed as a work surface. There's also a place to store the panels in the overhead locker for travel. I'm not sure I could use them as a cutting board though.

I love the artwork you have next to your stove!

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We had the grand lounge done by Ultimate Airstream.sister company of adventure northwest Airstream. They can get the matching laminates and corian. We just picked oursup in September. Great work. Contact Mike Moser at the Seattle airstream dealer. He can get you a quote. We live our new cabinets and have tons of space. I would add pictures but can’t figure out how to get to my ohotos on my Iphone. I
This sounds like what we want to do or very similar. Would love to see some pictures!

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratch View Post
Not needing the long lounge and wanting more counterspace in my 25 International CCD FBQ I copied the wine cabinet in the Tommy Bahama and the unit by Ultimate Airstream.
I rearranged the cushions and then inserted a cabinet with a butcher block top. Since I wanted a microwave I placed that below the cabinet. I ran a power cord from the outlet under the dinette table. It is easy to revert back to the stock configuration by removing the cabinet and re-arranging the cushions. I posted this mod on the International category last year.
Nicely done! I like that what you did is reversible.

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 101
Although we aren’t full time, we do a lot o cooking in our airstream. I have the cutting boards over the dual sinks as well as the cutting board over the stove. Also, we have the counter extender. I feel like it is plenty of space for cooking and I only have a 25” Safari.

I am a light packer, though, and don’t keep lots of pans or gadgets. Much of what I use needs to have more than one purpose ( my purge pot doubles as a chip/popcorn bowl).

We do grill outside as well, but at least one or two meals per day is inside the airstream.

Our local grocery store now has raw chicken and beef pre-chopped, so not only does this save on cooking time, it saves counter space for prep. I’ve also learned to prep what I can between meals (chopping vegetables, preparing casseroles, etc). It saves space and time in the long run.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Great idea! We're lucky that the new Globetrotter comes with two corian panels that fit over the sink that we can use when needed as a work surface. There's also a place to store the panels in the overhead locker for travel. I'm not sure I could use them as a cutting board though.

I love the artwork you have next to your stove!

Steve
Thanks. The frame is from Ikea and has plastic "glass" so very light weight. Attached with commercial sticky back velcro. The image is from a calendar.
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
MomcatA's Avatar

 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 129
Cookin' in the Modern Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We had the grand lounge done by Ultimate Airstream.sister company of adventure northwest Airstream. They can get the matching laminates and corian. We just picked oursup in September. Great work. Contact Mike Moser at the Seattle airstream dealer. He can get you a quote. We live our new cabinets and have tons of space. I would add pictures but can’t figure out how to get to my ohotos on my Iphone. I


YClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7680.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	331378Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7679.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	331379

We, too, had a grand lounge installed. The large cabinet was what sold me. Also, as you can see, there’s a world of upholstery color out there.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
Kensington , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
YAttachment 331378Attachment 331379

We, too, had a grand lounge installed. The large cabinet was what sold me. Also, as you can see, there’s a world of upholstery color out there.

That's great, really great. I just want the cabinet.
__________________
2019 26' U FC RBT "Buck"
Subforum dedicated to Airstreams and riding bicycles:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f62/
Too tall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 581
Yooperchick I think many of us that read this forum would be interested in your ideas. A lot of us do not belong to the Wally club but read this forum.

Dave
__________________

NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Modern 27’ Globetrotter Thread GMFL Airstream Trailer Forums 58 02-12-2020 07:44 AM
Modern 27’ Globetrotter Thread GMFL 2018 - Current Globetrotter 5 03-04-2019 11:39 AM
Globetrotter camping and modern IT stevejones 2018 - Current Globetrotter 1 07-03-2018 03:36 PM
Modern Windows for 1964 Safari Land Yacht mtbenham Windows & Screens 10 12-07-2004 07:38 AM
Modern building materials in vintage restorations bredlo General Interior Topics 18 12-05-2003 07:16 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.