Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Convection microwave as only oven?

We're looking at a new 30' Flying Cloud bunk house but the one we're looking into only has a convection microwave and not a traditional gas oven like our current trailer. Before anyone asks, we do actually use our oven.

What's the deal? Can a convection microwave really do everything that our current one can? What are the downsides?
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well, they don't work for boondocking, or for cooking while on the road.

I would like to hear reports from anyone who has successfully made popovers or baked a cake in one of them.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I had a similar dilemma when we upgraded from a 23 FB to a 25 FB. We used both the microwave and the gas oven in our 23. Our new 25 has the convection microwave but we haven't actually used it yet. I had two concerns with the convection microwave. It is smaller than the oven which is where I used to store our pots and pans, so I will need an alternate plan for that storage. Second we will not be able to use the oven unless we have full hookups. That said the convection microwave seems to have several cooking options that we did not have in the 23. I could be wrong but I think most of the airstreams come with the sharp convection microwave oven. You can download the product manual from the sharp webpage and get an idea of the features which is what I did.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I had a similar dilemma when we upgraded from a 23 FB to a 25 FB. We used both the microwave and the gas oven in our 23. Our new 25 has the convection microwave but we haven't actually used it yet. I had two concerns with the convection microwave. It is smaller than the oven which is where I used to store our pots and pans, so I will need an alternate plan for that storage. Second we will not be able to use the oven unless we have full hookups. That said the convection microwave seems to have several cooking options that we did not have in the 23. I could be wrong but I think most of the airstreams come with the sharp convection microwave oven. You can download the product manual from the sharp webpage and get an idea of the features which is what I did.
I've been trying to get some information as to which Sharp they use so I can get the manual. Sharp makes a ton of different microwaves.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
It seems like there are folks on the forum who really like their convection microwaves. A related question would be, which one is easier to add later? If I get a unit with a traditional oven and standard microwave it seems trivial to swap that microwave for a convection unit. Just looking at what it would take to add a gas oven starts to make my head swim a little.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I suspect they put the same one in most Airstreams. Hopefully you can read this..... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400018643.088291.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	211868
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I suspect they put the same one in most Airstreams. Hopefully you can read this.....
Yes, I can read it easily! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I would like to hear reports from anyone who has successfully made popovers or baked a cake in one of them.
I regularly bake biscuits, casseroles, pies, and cakes in ours. There is a learning curve, but after the first couple of disasters, you generally get acclimated to the different way of cooking.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
I've been trying to get some information as to which Sharp they use so I can get the manual. Sharp makes a ton of different microwaves.
There is one on the lot now. I'll see if I can remember to get model number and front dimensions tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
We're looking at a new 30' Flying Cloud bunk house but the one we're looking into only has a convection microwave and not a traditional gas oven like our current trailer. Before anyone asks, we do actually use our oven.

What's the deal? Can a convection microwave really do everything that our current one can? What are the downsides?

The convection microwave behaves just like a normal oven but of course you can also nuke stuff quickly when everybody is real busy. We do not notice a difference between it and a normal oven. The biggest positive is you also get the much needed additional storage under the cooktop where the normal oven might be. The down side is you have to work the thing from a really awkward position in semi darkness and you have to have 120 power. We run ours from the inverter so 120 is irrelevant. As in all things Airstream, it's whatever compromise you can live with. 30' Flying Cloud bunk house is a fabulous family Airstream regardless of your choice in ovens. Jim
Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Edit, replace 120 with "shore". Jim
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Well, they don't work for boondocking, or for cooking while on the road.

My DW has done cookies and cakes, roasted chicken, casseroles, etc. She believes it does a better job than the propane ovens we used to have in our RV's in the olden days and I will not argue about it. We boondock a lot and use our Honda Genny so it's no problem. Our stove/oven at home is also convection so there was no learning curve, it's simply a better and faster way to cook. On the road we go the fast food route. I suggest those who don't have a clue about the convection/micro ovens today do a little research and if you have one read the instruction manual.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is one on the lot now. I'll see if I can remember to get model number and front dimensions tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	212038  
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
The convection microwave behaves just like a normal oven but of course you can also nuke stuff quickly when everybody is real busy. We do not notice a difference between it and a normal oven. The biggest positive is you also get the much needed additional storage under the cooktop where the normal oven might be. The down side is you have to work the thing from a really awkward position in semi darkness and you have to have 120 power. We run ours from the inverter so 120 is irrelevant. As in all things Airstream, it's whatever compromise you can live with. 30' Flying Cloud bunk house is a fabulous family Airstream regardless of your choice in ovens. Jim
Can you run the convection microwave oven with the 1000 watt inverter on the new airstreams?

I thought that it operates on shore power only.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The dealers put a convection microwave in for a few more dollars in their pocket. One could install the propane oven with a cabinet switch out. Download from the Airstream site the 2014 Flying Cloud parts manual and go to page III-141.

Part 968025 Galley Cabinet Assembly
Part 968025-01 Galley Cabinet Asswembly, w/Convection Microwave

To be more specific on page III-144

Part 967917 Galley Assy., Forward w/Oven 30' Bunk

I do not know the time required or the parts cost, but one could retrofit a propane oven.

When we ordered our unit (initially a 27FB Classic) we explicitly omitted the convection Microwave to ensure the propane oven was installed. When we switched the order to the Classic Model 30, we wanted it standard with the propane oven along with a plain microwave. If we dislike the microwave, then we will have kitchen drawers made to fit into the microwave location.

One needs a much larger capacity inverter and battery capacity than the factory options to power the convection microwave from battery power in the woods. A 2,000 watt generator might have the capacity to power the convection microwave. The convection microwave label plate will detail the power requirements in both watts and amps.

Our custom solar conversion and large battery power bank could run the typical convection microwave oven for a few hours because of a large capacity inverter (2,800 watts).

The news today is that the Bunk house models are continued, so you may want to spec a unit out at your favorite dealership. They can change any order they have on the books with Airstream to a different modelt perhaps a month before the "reservation" slot unit gets built.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This is another one of those camping style questions. Some folks would never think of camping without full hookups. The microwave would be nice in those situations. Some others spend quite a bit of their time boondocking where electricity is not available. We do a bit of both so for us, it comes down to making a decision about "if you only have one choice". We would go with a regular oven.

We use ours a lot and not having a microwave isn't a big issue. If we had one we would use it but I wouldn't give up our oven to get one.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
When I bought my Airstream the Micro convection oven was on my replace list until I started using it.I works like a conventional oven plus a microwave.It is staying.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Ahab,
Noticed you have a Safari 22' & interested in what capacity generator you use. Currently researching alternatives for our Flying Cloud 20' which also has convection/microwave oven. Expect we will boondock & we love to cook!
Also interested in others experiences with the 1000 watt inverter.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I will chime in here. Our first two had a regular gas oven. I used them and liked them. We bought our International off the lot and it had a microwave/convection in it instead of a gas oven. I don't like it. I almost never use the microwave at home and we frequently camp without enough power for everything. I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a gas oven.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The label plate shown above in post #13 mentions a 13 amp power draw. That equals 1,560 watts. The factory inverter option is rated 1,000 watts.

A Honda 2,000 watt generator is rated for 2,000 watts surge, but 1,600 watts or 13.3 amps for continuous use. That would be the smallest generator that could run that microwave equipment for any length of time when boon docking..

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote