RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
LazyGray2's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 57
Question Convection Confusion

We just graduated to a 28 that came with the convection oven. I think Im already missing my gas one. It seems you cannot bake anything without the turntable turning, so then you are limited to a 9 square pan? Cant do a 9 X 13 pan for a cake or casserole? Help!
LazyGray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,591
Convection Confusion

Is the turntable itself and its rollers removable?

Put the dish up on a couple ovenproof supports or an inverted shallow ovenproof dish to keep the turntable motor moving freely and improve air circulation in the cavity. Something microwaveable for the supports would be ideal just in case...
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGray2 View Post
We just graduated to a 28 that came with the convection oven. I think Im already missing my gas one. It seems you cannot bake anything without the turntable turning, so then you are limited to a 9 square pan? Cant do a 9 X 13 pan for a cake or casserole? Help!
10 inch round pan.
I like the microwave for some things. The convection oven turns the trailer into an oven and it is slow. Been doing a bit more oven work, over charcoal and a dutch oven.
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
Denisemdb60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 14
I believe I read in the guide for the convection oven that it was important to use the turn table.

I'm no expert. I haven't even tried mine yet.
Denisemdb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisemdb60 View Post
I believe I read in the guide for the convection oven that it was important to use the turn table.

I'm no expert. I haven't even tried mine yet.
Agree! There is nothing intuitive about any convection microwave I have ever used. And "preheat" - well the idea that convection is faster than a conventional oven is true IF you ignore the time it takes to preheat - and if you ignore the fact that your entire trailer gets preheated.
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,170
Well. you do have to pre-heat a regular oven, and they do heat up a room. I've never had a trailer with a regular oven so I have nothing to compare my convection microwave with, but I like to do dutch oven outside occasionally as well. We don't bake much in the trailer, mostly grilling outside and cooktop for pan cooking.

Al
__________________
You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 272
Can I use a metal convection cooking pan in this microwave if I only use the convection mode?
__________________
2018 Classic 30
2012 F250 6.7l
US Army Watercraft Engineering Officer
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,093
At home I have a full size convection oven and it does not care what kind of pan. It does not rotate but it has a big fan to move the air. I also have a large convection/microwave at home. It does not care what kind of pan, but it rotates. I suspect the fan in this oven is really not large enough to even out the temp from the element. I am guessing the same is true about the convection/mw in the Airstream. I would not use it without rotation, but the pan composition in the convection mode does not matter.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 272
Thank you. I was worried and didn't want to break it.
__________________
2018 Classic 30
2012 F250 6.7l
US Army Watercraft Engineering Officer
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,361
I am not sure, but I NEVER use metal when operating the microwave side of my oven. The only exception is for something frozen like a pot pie which is packaged with a metallic browning coating inside a cardboard package.

I did accidentally use a China plate with a gold band on it... and in about 5 seconds the oven made nasty noises and I yanked it back out. The plate was red hot right around the band, and of course on the underside it said "Not for use in microwave ovens". The oven survived but if I had walked away? No way.

The convection function leaves the magnatron OFF, and uses a regular heating element along with air circulation to cook food.

The microwave IS basically a magnatron - a radar wave emitter. My convection microwave has a COATED metal turntable, but I think the coating may absorb rather than bounce the radar waves, plus the magnatron may be aimed so that the waves don't hit the turntable.

READ the manual - and try a piece of foil for 10 seconds if you are a risk taker - but common sense says it is a bad idea.
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Newmanstown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 34
The book states not to use the oven without the turn table in place. I don't know why unless it protects the drive for the turn table. I made a rack out of an old oven rack. I welded four 1" legs on it that sit in the four corners of the oven. I plan to try it this week and will report back.
Jonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 272
Maybe I didn't state my intention correctly. I only want to use the convection frying pan when using the convection part of the combo microwave convection oven. Therefore like you said the magnetron should be off and I should be okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am not sure, but I NEVER use metal when operating the microwave side of my oven. The only exception is for something frozen like a pot pie which is packaged with a metallic browning coating inside a cardboard package.

I did accidentally use a China plate with a gold band on it... and in about 5 seconds the oven made nasty noises and I yanked it back out. The plate was red hot right around the band, and of course on the underside it said "Not for use in microwave ovens". The oven survived but if I had walked away? No way.

The convection function leaves the magnatron OFF, and uses a regular heating element along with air circulation to cook food.

The microwave IS basically a magnatron - a radar wave emitter. My convection microwave has a COATED metal turntable, but I think the coating may absorb rather than bounce the radar waves, plus the magnatron may be aimed so that the waves don't hit the turntable.

READ the manual - and try a piece of foil for 10 seconds if you are a risk taker - but common sense says it is a bad idea.
__________________
2018 Classic 30
2012 F250 6.7l
US Army Watercraft Engineering Officer
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 15,191


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . .
READ the manual . . .
. . .


OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 272
The manuel I found on the internet for it gave conflicting instructions in different parts of the manual and therefore I wanted some real-world experience.
__________________
2018 Classic 30
2012 F250 6.7l
US Army Watercraft Engineering Officer
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Newmanstown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmad View Post
The book states not to use the oven without the turn table in place. I don't know why unless it protects the drive for the turn table. I made a rack out of an old oven rack. I welded four 1" legs on it that sit in the four corners of the oven. I plan to try it this week and will report back.
Rack worked perfectly. I tried to attach a picture but not sure if it worked. My wife awesome taco dip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57A5F8F1-4F4D-4D08-A10D-6506C27CD1CD.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	368100  
Jonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 272
What grill rack is that? My wife tossed ours and now we want it back but the website shows a round one that would still rotate on the turntable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmad View Post
Rack worked perfectly. I tried to attach a picture but not sure if it worked. My wife awesome taco dip!
__________________
2018 Classic 30
2012 F250 6.7l
US Army Watercraft Engineering Officer
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Newmanstown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
What grill rack is that? My wife tossed ours and now we want it back but the website shows a round one that would still rotate on the turntable.
I made it from an extra oven rack I had laying around. I cut it to fit and welded 1 legs on each corner. Used it again tonight for French fries and it worked great. Turntable is left in oven as per the owners manual but it just turns under the food.
Jonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusion on "weatherstripping" vs. "gasket" pinkflamingoes Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 14 03-20-2005 03:55 PM
12 volt confusion?? COArgosy78 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 7 09-21-2004 04:51 PM
Replacing Univolt and 12V confusion sander17 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 8 06-29-2004 10:09 AM
Wheel confusion Sneakinup Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 11 02-15-2004 10:22 PM
Confusion-1957 bubble parts smallfry General Interior Topics 5 11-21-2002 06:09 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.