Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Saw this when searching for small two person grill for camping. Had never seen this type of grill before and was interested to know if anyone on the AS forum has used or seen one of these being used. The on-line videos make this look like it work well for camping.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Saw this when searching for small two person grill for camping. Had never seen this type of grill before and was intersected to know if anyone on the AS forum has used or seen one of these being used. The on-line videos make this look like it work well for camping.
You're a little bit late, actually. CobbUSA just went out of business a couple weeks ago.

But if you can find one still on some store's shelves, grab it. They're great to cook with. I've had mine for about a year, and use it every night that I'm camping. The fact that you can grill a whole meal on just a dozen charcoal briquettes is a big selling point for me, since I don't have a lot of room to schlep bags of charcoal.

I will admit, though, that other owners here on the Forums have given mixed reviews. Some love it, some hate it. Most of those who hate it hate the cleanup.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was purchasing some grilling equipment from Firecraft and learnt that they will be the distributor for all Cobb Grills and accessories. I was also told that they had a good supply of LOKI charcoal. THEIR 800 number is 800-745-6109. They also have a web site.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We have a Cobb grill that we do not use, PM me if you would like to but it

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
We use the Cobb grill for camping, stores in the truck bed and does chicken/veggies nice. Clean-up is the worst part, but all cooking has a clean-up of some type. I would say "buy" one if you can.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm a fan. We've had ours for several years. I like the way it doesn't use a lot of fuel, and the exterior of it stays cool so I don't have to worry if something gets pushed too close to it while cooking. It's really more like an oven though, not so good at searing steaks (or I should say my results have been hit n' miss), but awesome at slow cooking a big hunk of meat.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Cobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Saw this when searching for small two person grill for camping. Had never seen this type of grill before and was interested to know if anyone on the AS forum has used or seen one of these being used. The on-line videos make this look like it work well for camping.
I have a Cobb that we used twice that I would sell you if you are interested. You can PM me and we can work out the details. We bought a Volcano grill and it works better for storage for us.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I love ours. Use it not just when camping, but even at home rather than firing up the Big Green Egg.

It's small, works well on very little fuel and delivers amazing results.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
We just bought from Rasmussen gas logs and grills a Solaire grill "anywhere" model.
It is an infrared compact portable grill. Cooks really quickly.
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Cobb has gone out of business. I have one and it does seem to work fine but cleanup is a bit of a chore. When storing in the storage compartment I have to remove the lid then put the lid back on once in the storage compartment. Actually I am looking for something just a little more compact and somewhat easier to clean up.

In all fairness it does work well.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've also had a Cobb for a few years... It does work pretty much as advertised, but isn't much of a 'griller' - not hot enough to sear two or three steaks...

We've used it for snacks; stuffed mushrooms, asparagus, fondue, etc... also for breakfast scrambled eggs, toast - but it's not the best for bacon, takes forever...

It's great if you don't want to haul around lots of cooking gear due to its compact size and low fuel usage - but, we still use the portable propane grill for the steaks & baked potatoes...

Here's a collection of recipes...

http://homepage.virgin.net/l.carter/cobbrecipes.htm

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index....-cobb-recipes/
Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I have one and it does seem to work fine but cleanup is a bit of a chore.
I never have much trouble cleaning mine. Spray the surfaces to be cleaned with Easy-Off Fume-Free oven cleaner, scrub with a soft-bristle brush, hose off, done.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gray sailor
fire craft is now the distributor for Cobb in the States
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Gray sailor
fire craft is now the distributor for Cobb in the States
I don't think that's quite right; they don't carry anywhere near the entire line of Cobb products… no Kitchen-in-a-Bag, no Premiere Grills, none of the accessories like the wok or the round cutting board that you used to be able to buy separately, and they don't sell the Lokkit (AKA Cobblestone) fuel anymore, either.

They don't even sell the folding Cobb grill stands anymore, either, even though I bought mine at Firecraft a year ago.

More likely they just have some leftover Cobb stock they haven't sold yet, but aren't a distributor taking the place of the now-defunct CobbUSA. So if you want one, get it before they're gone. Or else plan to order it as an import since they're still sold overseas.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
When I was placing an order with FireCraft last week I also asked about the Cobb grill. The Customer Service rep told me they were going to be the distributor for the Cobb Grill to include all accessories. Not sure when thisis suppose to take place but I thought he said heexpected their first shipment of grills etc later this month. He also siad they had quite abit of lokki charcoal. they were selling it for 11.99.

I will call and confirm the date they are schedule to begin selling Cobb's full line.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I reconfirmed with FireCraft. They will be the distributor for Cobb grills in America. They have been notified by Cobb Grill that the items are in customs. Although FireCraft is not sure when the items will clear customs they are expecting to have all items on line by next month.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hmm, sounds like I should go ahead and order those accessories I put off getting. Before they really are gone for good.

I wonder if Cobbs sell well somewhere else in the world?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I always have a problem getting the Cobb grill hot. So I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I am using the same natural lump charcoal that I use with my green eggs.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I always have a problem getting the Cobb grill hot. So I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I am using the same natural lump charcoal that I use with my green eggs.
How many lumps are you using at a time? For briquettes, it takes about a dozen for high heat (but only 8 if you only need medium heat). I haven't tried lump charcoal in mine, but it's possible that you may need more pieces.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The challenge I am having is getting the charcoal to light. I lit it a 4:45 this afternoon and less then half the charcoal is lit. When you light yours do you keep the lid off until the coals are lit or grey? It is just frustrating.