Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Aurora , Colorado
Can I use metal pans in my Contoure Micro/Convention Oven?

Instructions aren't clear, so I'm wondering if anyone has information about what kind of pan is acceptable. The manual indicates what to avoid in the microwave, but not what kind of pans are allowable when the oven is used in a convection fashion.

Thanks!
PandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maybe google your unit and see what their manufacturer says...

Maggie
Old 05-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I believe that a convection oven is simply an electric oven with a fan inside to circulate the air for efficiency. Unless the instruction booklet prohibits metal, that seems fine IMO. As long as you don't need to "nuke" your dish with the MW after baking, just to warm it up!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yep, a convection oven is just that; you can use any baking pan in the convection mode. In microwave pan you must use microwave acceptable pans. we have some ceramic pans that work in both.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
I have a Micro Wave /Convection oven and metal pans can be used in in the convection mode b
but not in micro wave mode but why carry two sets of pans?
Silicone pans store easily and can be used in both modes, plus they are light weight
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
That term "Convection" is a REAL Misnomer!��
CONVECTION is what an ordinary oven is.
Smoke/heat rises, remember?
THAT'S Convection!

What 'they' are calling a "Convection" oven is actually a Forced Air oven; which has it's advantages.
But call it what it IS; instead of listening to 'Ad Man Word Spinners' trying to corrupt the English language to impress the buyer with how little they know!��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
THAT'S Convection!

What 'they' are calling a "Convection" oven is actually a Forced Air oven; which has it's advantages.
But call it what it IS; instead of listening to 'Ad Man Word Spinners' trying to corrupt the English language to impress the buyer with how little they know!��
Amazing, the pool of knowledge we have on here!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
THAT'S Convection!

That train sailed a long time ago. Nice rant though.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I never got the hang of a convection microwave oven.
I burned everything.
Also I never knew if I was supposed to remove the glass carousel and rollers from the microwave. I always took out the metal rack when using the microwave, so it had to go somewhere. More trouble than it was worth.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Palm Springs , California
I’m on hr 2 of baking 9 cookies. I have the Contoure Convection/ Air Fry ... I tried the baking pan it came with for cookies then I read don’t use a pan with sides on it like the one it came with. So now I’m trying to put my cookie dough right on the glass tray. Fail 2 cookies were ok the others I put back in. Is the roller circle supposed to be in there? I can’t get the glass to sit right on it. Next batch I won’t put a cookie in the middle
Angeltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #11
Tif
2022 Caravel 20FB

2022 20' Caravel
Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandM View Post
Instructions aren't clear, so I'm wondering if anyone has information about what kind of pan is acceptable. The manual indicates what to avoid in the microwave, but not what kind of pans are allowable when the oven is used in a convection fashion.

Thanks!
You can use metal pans when you use the Convection Oven by choosing that option on the keypad … When it’s in microwave mode you can’t use the metal grate/stand that came with it but you can use the special pan with the rubber on it that also came with the oven…
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #12
Tif
2022 Caravel 20FB

2022 20' Caravel
Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltu View Post
I’m on hr 2 of baking 9 cookies. I have the Contoure Convection/ Air Fry ... I tried the baking pan it came with for cookies then I read don’t use a pan with sides on it like the one it came with. So now I’m trying to put my cookie dough right on the glass tray. Fail 2 cookies were ok the others I put back in. Is the roller circle supposed to be in there? I can’t get the glass to sit right on it. Next batch I won’t put a cookie in the middle
The manual says the baking pan/“Tray” it comes with is for “Pizza Cookies & More…”
Do not remove the turntable shaft look closely at the shape & fit it into the bottom of the glass tray accordingly. It has to fit into the notches under the glass turntable to hold it steady & allow it to turn correctly.
I’m thinking your main issue is that you are not choosing the correct setting for baking… are you selecting the “CONVECTION” option on the keypad? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but not sure if you could be assuming it defaults into Convection mode…
Also, it says: “when selecting cookware, choose pans that do not have extended sides (like the BONUS BAKING TRAY included with your unit)” it’s just written oddly with the sentence structure so it can be misleading but what it’s attempting to do is use the BONUS TRAY (that came with it) as an example of what you CAN use with it - so you can examine the height of the shallow sides of the tray & have a gauge to go by when choosing additional trays/pans that did not come with the unit. As you can see when looking at it, although it does have sides - the sides are significantly shorter than on the average cooking tray/pan…. They are saying that the pan with it does NOT have “extended sides” like traditional baking pans/trays. It’s just being used as a point of reference to use when shopping for additional pans…

Hope this helps, hugs!
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:13 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Prescott , Arizona
I baked cornbread in a Pyrex pan (instead of a cast iron) and it turned out good. The oven cooks much faster than the home oven, and 20% to 30% faster. It must preheat before you start cooking. If you want to add more time, the oven has to pre-heat again. It's going to take some trial and error to get used to this oven. But sure is nice to have it!
CheriMc is offline   Reply With Quote