Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Before COVID hit we went on the Bourbon Trail caravan. A bunch of Airstreamers loose in KY with booze for a month. It was a great trip, and a eye opener for what is available out there. At the end of the trip, my favs were Wild Roses single barrel, Knob Creek single barrel, Knob small batch, Bluegrass distillery High Rye, Limestone Branch Minor Case Straight Rye.

A couple of years down the line and my go to is Knob small batch and Russell 6 year rye.

The best tour hands down was the Beam tour. The Buffalo Trace tour was disappointing, they herded us through like cattle.

For really special occasions a bottle of Bookers can’t be beat.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Knob Creek Reserve Single Barrel

Michter's US*1 Small Batch

Old Crow- tastes like Pappy Van Winkle to me.

I drink them neat.

As a man born and raised in Bullitt County, I must agree. Knob Creek for me. Love going home and spending nights in the Airstream on the family property and smelling the yeast float over the hill.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
What a great thread! My go to is Wild Turkey, but Makers Mark and Jim Beam show up in my cupboard as well.

My wife bought me a bottle of Basil Hayden for Christmas - the recommendation of a good friend.

And I’ve experienced Garrison Brothers. It was at a reception hosted by a law firm - when the firm’s partners are commenting on how good it is, you know it’s special!
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:56 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
I have been on the bourbon trail more times than I can count. Actually going again in September. First, no such thing as a bourbon burn....it is Actually a Bourbon Hug. To lessen the intensity of that hug try a couple things. Start with nothing more than an 80 proof. Great suggestions of different bourbons here, mine is Barton’s. But stick to 80 proof and grow from there. Second, Robert Cross is absolutely 95% correct...but I offer instead of a whole ice cube, start with shavings. That will help tremendously. Then find your favorite chocolate, I prefer milk over dark but, they both work. Remember you are not trying to eliminate the hug, just learning to enjoy it.
Then and only then, if you can’t get used to it, then grab a bottle of Jim Beam or Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream and sit back and enjoy

I’m not a paid employee of any bourbon distillery, but I do love the stuff.

Bourbon hug ... love it
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Interesting that some are saying Blantons is hard to find, I see it around me regularly.
With that said, I was wandering down the aisle at Kroger and saw a bottle of Point Rider at a very attractive price and decided to give it a try. Bad idea, awful straight or with rocks. It has been relegated to be used with mixes, Vernors makes it drinkable. Last bottle that will grace my shelf.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Ok, I know this departs from bourbon, but look to Texas. I found Andalusia Stryker Smoked Single Malt Whiskey while looking for something different for New Years! If you like scotch, try this.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
. . .
. . . Vernors makes it drinkable.
. . .
Is Vernors still around?

Alas . . . no longer in glass bottles . . . [hot link in blue]

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Four Roses small batch
Woodford double oaked

Going through Louisville this July...favorite distillery tours?
Here's a link for several in Louisville. Call first, because of Covid-19 they probably aren't giving tours.
https://bourboncitycruisers.com/news...wn-louisville/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Actually, we'll be in Kentucky next week, how appropriately timed.....

I was more of a dark beer fella, still am, and wife is more of a wine gal, and my non-beer adult beverages were usually cocktails, normally rum or vodka. I'd gotten a bottle of Buffalo Creek to use when I needed a bourbon to mix, but, at that point in time, I didn't take to straight bourbon.

But, eventually, I'd ended up w/ a bottle of scotch that I liked, which led me into trying out other things, rye maybe being one of my favorite alternatives, but, it all led me finally to bourbon (with the help of a friend, who is really a bourbon fan, and has suggested many for me). My current bottle is a Four Roses small batch. But while we're in Kentucky next week, I'd like to try to visit a distillery (if any are allowing visitors).

Are there any recommended distillery tours that are currently open?
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Interesting that some are saying Blantons is hard to find, I see it around me regularly.
With that said, I was wandering down the aisle at Kroger and saw a bottle of Point Rider at a very attractive price and decided to give it a try. Bad idea, awful straight or with rocks. It has been relegated to be used with mixes, Vernors makes it drinkable. Last bottle that will grace my shelf.

Where r u? I have not seen a bottle of Blantons in over a year, that’s across a dozen states. Most owners laugh when I ask or say if your not a regular customer no way.

Blantons still my favorite but Old Forrester 1920, McKenna 10, Woodford Double Oak, Chestnut Farms or other solid choices.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
At a Christmas dinner many years ago, at a country club, the guy next to me ordered "Blanton's and Coke". Sacrilege

When I could get it, I paid $70-$79, but I haven't seen it for years, neither has my son in Texas or when he moved to Oklahoma. Even if I could get it, I'm not paying these prices; it's good, but not THAT good. I have a bunch of the cloth bags that the bottle used to come in, great for storing my fishing reels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-17-2021 12-21-23 PM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	390953  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-17-2021, 06:43 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Damn Guy's, 'ya made me do it.
Grab the Knob & order the Wellers.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5438A077-D63D-432E-B19E-A168FC295CBA_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	390985  
Old 03-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #53
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
OT

Is Vernors still around?

Alas . . . no longer in glass bottles . . . [hot link in blue]

Like most soft drinks, I rarely see the major brands in glass. I don't think it was ever available nation wide.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Actually, we'll be in Kentucky next week, how appropriately timed.....

I was more of a dark beer fella, still am, and wife is more of a wine gal, and my non-beer adult beverages were usually cocktails, normally rum or vodka. I'd gotten a bottle of Buffalo Creek to use when I needed a bourbon to mix, but, at that point in time, I didn't take to straight bourbon.

But, eventually, I'd ended up w/ a bottle of scotch that I liked, which led me into trying out other things, rye maybe being one of my favorite alternatives, but, it all led me finally to bourbon (with the help of a friend, who is really a bourbon fan, and has suggested many for me). My current bottle is a Four Roses small batch. But while we're in Kentucky next week, I'd like to try to visit a distillery (if any are allowing visitors).

Are there any recommended distillery tours that are currently open?

Kentucky Ale is in Louisville and have a tour. I particularly like their bourbon barrel ale. Interesting story from when I was working for a computer manufacturer. Sales rep for a related company had been in town prior and decided he also liked it. So on a trip for a meeting with a joint customer he stayed at the nearby Marriott. He had a mini van as a rental vehicle for the trip. After dinner, he stopped at a couple of local alcohol outlets and bought up the entire supply of BBA. Back at the hotel, he grabbed one of the carts they have for clothing and wheeled his entire supply thru the lobby up to his room so no one could steal the beer over night. Next morning he wheeled it all back out and drove home. No one at the hotel said a word.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #55
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Where r u? I have not seen a bottle of Blantons in over a year, that’s across a dozen states. Most owners laugh when I ask or say if your not a regular customer no way.

Blantons still my favorite but Old Forrester 1920, McKenna 10, Woodford Double Oak, Chestnut Farms or other solid choices.

I'm in SE Michigan. Last bottle I bought was on a Royal Caribbean cruise just before the shut down. I know I didn't pay anywhere near the prices Rich46 listed. After getting home, I've pointed it out to my DW a few times in stores. I'll have to pay attention to see if its available now.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I know I didn't pay anywhere near the prices Rich46 listed.
I just did a Google search "where can I buy Blanton's bourbon", something like that. Those prices are outrageous but for the ones posted at the $80 area it always said "sold out". We have Liquor Barn and Total Wine and More stores here, neither have had Blanton's for a very long time, unless they are hoarding it for their friends. Eagle Rare is another good, low priced bourbon. I can get occasionally get that but it's never on the shelf, always up on the office counter.

Kentucky used to have a law against buying spirits online, even wine. That's changed and I hope to have a couple 750s of vodka coming from California tomorrow, something not available locally. That's if all goes well, it's taken almost 2 weeks to get shipped.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-18-2021 12-59-40 PM.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	391042  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I did a Google search and found 2 places, CT and NY, $99 each plus $17 shipping. It's a good bourbon but I think the hype has taken over. I drank bottles of it for a long time, have multiple brown, velvet bags, never noticed there was a letter on each cap that spelled out Blantons. I've thrown many of those in the trash. There are other bourbons, just as good, no problem with getting it and you don't have to pay an outrageous price for them.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Lots of great advice here, and places to spend my money...

But nobody has yet posted about a 'right and proper glass' to enjoy these fine spirits. May I present two possibilities. First one here is for those who prefer their libation 'neat'; the Glencairn glass:

And for those who prefer a bit of ice along with the spirits, there's a really nice 'Bourbon Trail' glass, by Libby - who woulda thought...
Affordable and easy to hold for my arthritic fingers.

May I suggest that both of these add nicely to the experience.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Lots of great advice here, and places to spend my money...

But nobody has yet posted about a 'right and proper glass' to enjoy these fine spirits. May I present two possibilities. First one here is for those who prefer their libation 'neat'; the Glencairn glass:

And for those who prefer a bit of ice along with the spirits, there's a really nice 'Bourbon Trail' glass, by Libby - who woulda thought...
Affordable and easy to hold for my arthritic fingers.

May I suggest that both of these add nicely to the experience.
Both very good suggestions, thank you. I like bourbon neat but usually use an on the rocks glass. Did you get the Libby glass on the bourbon trail or elsewhere?

UPDATE: I found the bourbon trail glass on Amazon :-D
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
"America's Native Spirit" as declared by Congress in 1964. And it tastes great around a campfire. Cheers!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote