Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Big Green Egg Mini Max

Anyone have any experience Airstreaming with the newer (and smaller) models of the BGE? Trying to decide if it's worth the extra weight/hassle of lugging one along.
lrankine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have a mini at home. I don't like it much as I can't keep a constant temperature, its either 200F or 600F. It's heavy, top heavy and messy and you would have to carry a bag of charcoal. A mini max would be heavier. The only time I use it at home is to cook burgers. When I grill other meats at home I use our OGrill propane grill we take on the road. Charcoal grills just take more investment in time and learning.

Kelvin
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
BGE is great but heavy

I have a large BGE at home. Love it! Sure, it is messy and takes time to learn how to keep a constant temp but the results are superior to the charcoal and gas grills I have owned over the years.

I have considered the BGE mini max for our airstream but the weight issue is holding me back. Lifting it off the bed of my truck would be difficult for us.

Currently have both a Lodge and a Weber charcoal grill for camping but I'm not very satisfied with them.
blufishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
I Love my BGE's we use to carry a mini while traveling but the weight is just not worth it coupled with packing it properly to avoid cracking, if you looking for a decent alternative you might look at a PK grill aluminum been around for ever does a great job and can be used as a smoker just so happen to have a brand new one used once with grill grates if interested don't need 2 also might look at a Weber Jumbo Joe Love it as well. It's even easier then the PK.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Just returned from a 12 day trip to Moab. I purchased a Mini Max shortly before we left as my son cooks on a large Egg at home. He cooked on it every night, first night chicken, then prime rib, then pork chops, then salmon, I was sold. The down side it is heavier than my Q weber; however, turns out a different quality cook. We grilled, then smoked--taking longer time. It weighs 75 lbs. The large Egg weighs 165 lbs--of course it appears the Mini is for on the go, and sat in the back of my pick up without moving around on my 375 trip home that day. The major difference between the two is the fire box is not as deep so smoke time is not as great-however, a pork roast at home for six hours was no problem. Most " EggHeads", if you like it, end up with both. It is an attension getter at the camp ground. Overall, I have been using it at home, watched several You Tube videos, purchased Ray Lamps"s cook book, and plan to take it throughout the summer travels. My wife helps carry it to and from the picnic table at camp sites.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The smaller the BGE, the more attention you have to pay to controlling it. Fuel load, lighting style, top and bottom vent settings, and initial warmup all have an impact. The big ones (XL) change pretty slowly. The little guys have far less inertia. The good news is that you can get cooking on a small one faster than on a big one. Thus the answer to "why do you have three of them?" question If you lug one around, be careful of the top hinge setup. It is not fragile, but I would not want to put a lot of strain on it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We have the large BGM for home, and the mini for travel. We traveled with the mini for the first year or so, and it was fun, but we got tired of packing it and the charcoal. (The ceramic elements inside can break in transit if not stored properly.) We now usually bring a gas grill, instead, unless the campground is close to home, in which case we may haul the Mini. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We purchased a BGE Minimax planing to take it along on our Airstream travels about the country. After one cross-country trip with it, we found it too heavy to be practical and convenient for travel and frequent stops. We also thought the ceramics were too fragile for cross-country travel in the back of a pickup, no damage but it was on my mind, they are expensive.

So we leave it at home, traveled with our sturdy Q1200 and its collapsible stand. The way it actually works when out on the road, we have been more likely to sample local barbecue that than mess with it at the campsite.

Even though our Airstream has an oven, range top, microwave, convection oven, portable induction Nuwave, and Q1200 to cook food. I should mention after 8 years we just sold the Airstream and are in the market for a simpler way to travel.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I was thinking the same thing regards to weight and the potential for breakage. I've been an "EggHead" for years and absolutely LOVE my XXL BGE! BEST DAMN GRILL I"VE EVER OWNED! Hence the thought of taking a minimax along for the ride. Based on your feedback I'm thinking the Lodge and/or a small Weber will be the wiser choice for traveling. Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We've used a Weber Q1000 for at least the past 10 years or so in our Airstream....at home we have a medium BGE, which is fantastic.....the small BGE is simply too heavy for RV use, in my opinion.

I bought an "Amazin" smoker that I use with our Q1000, it's great, not much of a mess, and a 5 pound bag of pellets lasts for a month or so of a lot of grilling. They make several models and sizes, and they are very easy to use....

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I do have a smokey joe grill that I take along with us. Dealing with the charcoal is not a big deal - I try to bring a full unopened bag and use it all during a trip. I have owned and used a big green egg for a long time and it is hard to beat for use at home for all day low temp cooking / smoking. I have to believe the micro size egg is aimed at the RV / camping market but I’m not persuaded that I would bring it along and be able to expect to use it the same way as I do the full size model at home. I would tend to agree getting temperature consistency would be difficult in the micro version and you sure can’t get much on that grill surface - as in maybe one whole chicken beer can style standing up (but then it would mostly fill the full top portion and restrict air flow) and sure not a brisket or rack of ribs. So that leaves it - in my mind - as an expensive grill to cook a couple burgers on or a few hot dogs. Plus my smokey joe can be dropped or banged and it won’t break and I got it at Walmart for $35
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
I do have a smokey joe grill that I take along with us. Dealing with the charcoal is not a big deal - I try to bring a full unopened bag and use it all during a trip. I have owned and used a big green egg for a long time and it is hard to beat for use at home for all day low temp cooking / smoking. I have to believe the micro size egg is aimed at the RV / camping market but I’m not persuaded that I would bring it along and be able to expect to use it the same way as I do the full size model at home. I would tend to agree getting temperature consistency would be difficult in the micro version and you sure can’t get much on that grill surface - as in maybe one whole chicken beer can style standing up (but then it would mostly fill the full top portion and restrict air flow) and sure not a brisket or rack of ribs. So that leaves it - in my mind - as an expensive grill to cook a couple burgers on or a few hot dogs. Plus my smokey joe can be dropped or banged and it won’t break and I got it at Walmart for $35
Excellent points my friend! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hudson , Florida
Bge

We had the same delima and went and purchased a Akorn made by char griller, under 50Lbs, and around $150. Travels well, and does the same thing as a green egg, check it out online. Sold at Home Depot,Lowes and Walmart. Hope this will help.
funcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
This takes 2 my strength or 4 average to get into a utility trailer... if you widen the door on the AS, build a ramp, you can cook for 6 or 7 folks at once...

We have one at home.. we cook then bring food along

BUt here is a "portable Primo..
http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/products/primo-go
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
If you can find a Cobb (online) they work well, don't use much charcoal and you can carry it if you need to move it while cookin. I love mine
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
I do have a smokey joe grill that I take along with us. Dealing with the charcoal is not a big deal - I try to bring a full unopened bag and use it all during a trip. I have owned and used a big green egg for a long time and it is hard to beat for use at home for all day low temp cooking / smoking. So that leaves it - in my mind - as an expensive grill to cook a couple burgers on or a few hot dogs. Plus my smokey joe can be dropped or banged and it won’t break and I got it at Walmart for $35

I store my smokey joe in it's original cardboard box. It only requires removal or 3 screws and wing nuts to brake it down to fit back in the box. For longevity I painted the cardboard box with polyurethane inside and out and close it with velcro. I carry a small bag of wood chunks to put on the charcoal after cooking. This makes a small off the ground fire. for campsites that don't have a fire ring and don't allow campfires.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
BGE=Heavy!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
Have cooked on large BGE for about 15 years now and have often wished there was a practical way to take it with us, as sittin around a grill or fire or pretty campsite with an adult beverage is our way of chillaxin. After a year of deliberation about what new grill to get young adult DD who is quite the chef, she ended up with a PK and loves it! The mini max egg is too heavy and too small, the larger eggs are NOT portable and the TOL Kamodo Kamado is what to dream for. There is a new PK that is more egg shaped which might be the perfect compromise for the chef who wants to cook larger cuts of meat or whole birds low and slow ( not sure about its weight, but it looks to be aluminum also). My friends rave about their new PKs, but they have never cooked on a egg. DD thinks her new old style pk us fine for most cuts of large snd small meats, but hasnt done a big brisket or whole shoulder yet.
I vote for the aluminum Portable Kitchen + Airstream... they match!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The PK appears to be up around 60 pounds. The PK360 probably is a bit heavier. Since the weight on the PK spreads out between the cart and the cooker (and other stuff) it would not be quite the beast to handle that an 80 lb BGE would be.
Still not quite in the same range as a Smokey Joe

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Just read up a little on the PK grill.......besides looking like an AS it seems to have some great features in a full size grill that doesn't weigh a lot!