Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2023, 08:01 AM   #841
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Griddles (Blackstone) are also becoming the thing. Got , but haven't tried.
I carry the Blackstone 17". Love it.
I don't see a need to carry another grill. Not only does it make a burger and toast the bun, I also do eggs, hash browns, and peppers and onions....things you wouldn't think of with a grill.

The downside, IMO, is it's heavy, since the cooking surface is cast iron. 20+ pounds. I still use the 1 pound propane cylinders.

Blackstone tip: I discovered WalMart sells a bundle of hand towels 18 for $4-$5. I put water on the hot griddle, then use a cloth towel and the tongs, then toss it in the trash. That way critters aren't smelling the greasy towel and zeroing in on the grill.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:06 AM   #842
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Probably been mentioned somewhere up above.....but he Volcano Stove has been working great for us the past few years.

The Wok fits on there like it was made for it and the stove generates plenty of heat from the propane setup for wok hei !

Works equally good with wood or charcoal as well !

https://volcanogrills.com/product/vo...e-grill-stove/

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:37 PM   #843
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Love the Blackstone. I was skeptical, but… I have the 22, but will probably downsize. I do wonder if it is a critter magnet
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:38 AM   #844
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
We now travel with two grills. First, the Weber Q1200 with 1/2 griddle plate (for breakfast like pancakes, french toast, bacon, etc.) We will also use this for a quick lunch - grill some asparagus, hot dogs, some corn, maybe a burger.

Second, we carry a small kamado grill for when we want really great food like steak or seafood. This is a charcoal grill, so it takes about 15 minutes longer to get ready to cook. It is the Lifesmart Pack & Go Portable Kamado Ceramic Charcoal Grill, and has a 10 inch grill area that is perfect for the two of us for cooking a couple steaks and some shrimp and asparagus, and gives us the supreme charcoal flavor.
sbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #845
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8trwood View Post
Love the Blackstone. I was skeptical, but… I have the 22, but will probably downsize. I do wonder if it is a critter magnet
I did have an issue once. I had just put the cover on at night and not cleaned it. In the morning some furry friend had chewed a hole in my cover.

I since fashioned some 'wind blockers' from aluminum and magnets.
10" x 4" x .125"

I have four I stick where needed, but at night and to store, I stick them on the cooking surface, and that keeps the cover from touching the cooktop and getting greasy.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #846
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
I think I more concerned with a big critter tearing open my topper
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #847
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8trwood View Post
I think I more concerned with a big critter tearing open my topper
I was at Topsail Hill SP, Florida where big critters tend to be gators, not bears.
I'd like to believe mine was a raccoon, the hole was 1/2", but when the cover is there for rain, it was now worthless.
I don't want to think it was a rat, raccoons have better PR agents.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #848
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Iím going to try a different route. I have been using a Weber Q1000 and propane from the RV as a grill. I also have been carrying a Yeti 45 cooler but all I have been using it for is ice for my drinks.

Iím getting tired of the amount of space and weight the 2 take up. Iím going to try this Ninja air fryer / grill and portable ice maker to address both issues. Weíve been very happy with an air fryer at home and this one address cooking and grilling. The portable ice maker makes the ice very quick. I will carry a small / lighter cooler just in case I need one on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3979.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	439166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	439167  

GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #849
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Iím going to try a different route. I have been using a Weber Q1000 and propane from the RV as a grill. I also have been carrying a Yeti 45 cooler but all I have been using it for is ice for my drinks.

Iím getting tired of the amount of space and weight the 2 take up. Iím going to try this Ninja air fryer / grill and portable ice maker to address both issues. Weíve been very happy with an air fryer at home and this one address cooking and grilling. The portable ice maker makes the ice very quick. I will carry a small / lighter cooler just in case I need one on the road.
As mentioned, we bring along the Volcano grill for steaks/chops using charcoal; sets up/ folds up to nice size (17" diameter x 5") and stores in zippered carry case. I have a Webber Q1200 propane for most all the other grilling.

You mention the Yeti...they are indeed heavy; we have couple different sizes, and still need to buy ice so rarely use anymore on long trips. The ice maker is nice, but a hassle IMHO; we ended up selling ours and just making ice in the freezer for drinks; wife likes those big 2+" ice balls!

We purchased an ICECO electric cooler few years ago, and although it is as heavy as the Yeti empty, it does not need ice and works AC or DC. We keep it plugged in the bed of the truck. When camped, I plug it into the AC trailer outlet with extension cord; if in bear country leave under the hard bed cover. This system works pretty nice now for us.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:11 PM   #850
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Just looked at the volcano grill. That looks pretty good as well.

Recently we were camping for three weeks and I never took my Weber out of the truck bed. 2 events were Airstream rallies and 2 were not. At the rallies there is usually food provided so no need to grill. For the other 2, activities and weather kept us from using the grill.

We will be on the SW Caravan in 2024 for 2 months. Iím sure meals with be provided most times so our grill will not be used much based on prior caravans/ rallies. The ninja saves space / weight and the opportunity to grill inside in inclement weather.

At a recent rally someone had a domestic refrigerator/ freezer with the same power sources you mention. It was a pretty slick set up on a slide out tray in his truck and is an option if the ice maker thing doesnít work.

I figure for less than $300 it was worth trying this experiment. Worse thing that happens is that it doesnít work and I still get to use both at home. Or, I just use them for rallies and short term trips where less can be more.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:37 AM   #851
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Just looked at the volcano grill. That looks pretty good as well.

Recently we were camping for three weeks and I never took my Weber out of the truck bed. 2 events were Airstream rallies and 2 were not. At the rallies there is usually food provided so no need to grill. For the other 2, activities and weather kept us from using the grill.

We will be on the SW Caravan in 2024 for 2 months. Iím sure meals with be provided most times so our grill will not be used much based on prior caravans/ rallies. The ninja saves space / weight and the opportunity to grill inside in inclement weather.

At a recent rally someone had a domestic refrigerator/ freezer with the same power sources you mention. It was a pretty slick set up on a slide out tray in his truck and is an option if the ice maker thing doesnít work.

I figure for less than $300 it was worth trying this experiment. Worse thing that happens is that it doesnít work and I still get to use both at home. Or, I just use them for rallies and short term trips where less can be more.
I get it...worth a try for sure. We have gone thru 4-5 propane grills over the years and the Volcano has always been along, for the steaks. Doesn't take up much space. There is a propane attachment, but I never got it. This is our 4th Webber, and the smallest; works fine, but for I also went thru 2 different "O-Grills" prior to this Q1200 Webber. The O-Grills were very nice also and I got a deal on the folding table for the O-Grill back in the day...now I use it with the Webber! If we get another grill, likely get the O-Grill model again.

I also have a Trager Ranger portable smoker which I bought to bring along...but have not brought it on a trip yet. This summer may take with us to WY for the summer...it's pretty nice size for up to 12lb turkey...have done salmon, turkey, and 5lb brisket so far...works fine.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #852
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Would you rite a few more stories for Airstream Life...Puleeze!
Old 12-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #853
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
As mentioned, we bring along the Volcano grill for steaks/chops using charcoal; sets up/ folds up to nice size (17" diameter x 5") and stores in zippered carry case. I have a Webber Q1200 propane for most all the other grilling.

You mention the Yeti...they are indeed heavy; we have couple different sizes, and still need to buy ice so rarely use anymore on long trips. The ice maker is nice, but a hassle IMHO; we ended up selling ours and just making ice in the freezer for drinks; wife likes those big 2+" ice balls!

We purchased an ICECO electric cooler few years ago, and although it is as heavy as the Yeti empty, it does not need ice and works AC or DC. We keep it plugged in the bed of the truck. When camped, I plug it into the AC trailer outlet with extension cord; if in bear country leave under the hard bed cover. This system works pretty nice now for us.
Which model do you recommend?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #854
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
The portable ice maker makes the ice very quick.
I've considered one also, but here's my concern. It takes a lot of counter space. Also it's good at making ice but not at keeping ice. You have to constantly remove the ice and put it in the freezer, and replenish the water supply.
The one thing I miss from my MH that I considered real luxury was an ice maker in the freezer.
Now before I leave on a trip I put a bag of ice in the freezer and use it for drinks.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #855
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've considered one also, but here's my concern. It takes a lot of counter space. Also it's good at making ice but not at keeping ice. You have to constantly remove the ice and put it in the freezer, and replenish the water supply.
The one thing I miss from my MH that I considered real luxury was an ice maker in the freezer.
Now before I leave on a trip I put a bag of ice in the freezer and use it for drinks.
I certainly understand that part of it. My Yeti did too! My plan is to start up with home ice in the freezer for our cocktails and keep the ice maker packed up in my truck bed (just like the Yeti). When happy hour rolls around I set up the ice maker ahead of time and put the ice in the freezer and pack it away again.

Same with the air fryer / grill. Stays in my truck bed till needed ( like my Webber).

Looking forward to see if the experiment works. If so, great. If not, still have my old method available.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #856
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
For ice, I have four of these that stack in the back of my freezer in my 23FB leaving plenty of room in the freezer. I like them because they seal up, so the water doesn't spill like normal ice trays.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:14 PM   #857
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've been known to knock on the door of the biggest RV in the campground and ask, "Pardon me, but might you spare a glass of ice?"
Old 12-03-2023, 07:14 AM   #858
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've been known to knock on the door of the biggest RV in the campground and ask, "Pardon me, but might you spare a glass of ice?"
Iíve done the same. Have a funny story from our Newfound trip last year. We were in Twillingate, (most towns in Newfoundland are small) and I needed ice for drinks. I went to 3 different stores and they were all out of ice. Found out there were 2 weddings going on in the town and the wedding venues bought up all the ice!

I found it ironic I was in the place where the Titanic sunk from an iceberg and I couldnít find any ice. Went knocking on doors of my neighbors and go my 2 glasses of ice.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #859
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
For ice, I have four of these that stack in the back of my freezer in my 23FB leaving plenty of room in the freezer. I like them because they seal up, so the water doesn't spill like normal ice trays.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Interesting...I had to watching the sales pitch on this one! $34 for an ice cube maker so I don't have to "touch" the ice? Why, thats part of the fun of making a drink! As for ice trays, we have both the 2+" ball and also the 3" cube trays; wife puts the finished ice in plastic bag for use with our drinks. Works pretty well, since the drinks and white wine are stored in our ICECO electric cooler.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:01 AM   #860
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Which model do you recommend?
I was looking at mine but I got it a few years ago and do not see the model number. External size is 26L x 16W x 17H. Looks very close to the new 37qt "37QT VL35Pro Single Zone model they have. Works great although a bit heavy, like a Yeti. There are several models/sizes on Amazon or on the ICECO website. I have also run it for 3 days with my portable battery Ecoflow Riverflow Max.

When not camping, I have used it for parties and also use to hold my turkey's when marinating. This past Thanksgiving, I had a 12lb for bird for smoking and a 20lb turkey for the oven, both in different brine bags for 2 days in the cooler; small bird on top of larger bird, freeing up space in the fridge!