Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2004, 08:15 AM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The low-road

For years, I have carried a small charcoal grill that I bought at Cabela's in Sidney, Colorado while passing through from South Dakota. I guess the diameter at about 13". It has detachanble legs and a carrying bag and cost me all of about $12 as I recall. The grill is the perfect size for 2 people.

With the grill, I carry a bag of match-light charcoal with mesquite. If kept well sealed, the charcoal retains the match-light ability for a long time. A 10# bag usually lasts over a year.

If you haven't visited a Cabella store,you are in for a treat. It would take a half day to completely cover the store. A new Cabela's is currently slated for Buda, Texas, just 18 miles from my door and a stone's throw from my Airstream dealer. I can't wait.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Royce, thanks for the post; that grill looks very cool. No prices on the website.... Seems others are really just gas burners which hardly deserve to be called barbeque grills. Does the fan prevent hot spots, and can you maintain low settings or does the unit pretty much operate at v. high temps? Also, how long to the cubes burn and what are they made of? God knows WHAT is in "self-lighting" briquettes.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up George Foreman propane grill

We used one of the cheapie $20 propane grills for years, and just carried it around in a cardboard box. When it got really nasty and rusty (usually two summers of hard use), we threw it away and bought another.

Last summer, after looking at the Colemans and the other brands of 'tailgater' grills for around $140, my wife found a "George" propane grill at the famous French retailer Tar-get' for $39. It's got it's own stand and wheels. It'll do either the stand or a picnic table. but folds down reasonably compactly for storage in the Excursion. The cook top is teflon and huge. I thought initially that I'd not like it, as the flames heat the bottom of the grill, and the fats run off into a cup so the 'smoked' flavor wouldn't be there, but I confess that I actually like the thing, and food prepared on it is superb! Cleanup is a snap, and there's no burned-on grease to get messy. All for $39. I am impressed with it in spite of myself!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Haven't seen this one in person yet, but it has potential
http://store.yahoo.com/infomercialshowcase/q-grill.html
They have been running the informercials on it on late night television. It is also in the Skymall catalog that you find on those long boring flights.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Frozen,

As I recal I paid about $175 for the grill. It burns hardwood chunklets for fuel. If you buy from Woodflame they will be unfinished hard wood flooring cut offs 2.75"x2.75"x0.75" Almost any kiln dried North American hardwood will work. I build custom furniture and so have plenty of fuel available as scrap left over from the build process. Should be easy to find someone local to supply you with their scraps. It uses 3-4 of the cut offs to grill one load of burgers or steaks. About 6-8 for chicken or small roast. The temp is easy to control by the variable speed fan. I tyically start off with three of the blocks in the burner and fan on high for 1-2 minutes per side then turn to medium setting for the balance of the cook. Eight burgers can be done at a time if you are careful and three blocks (one load) will be enough. If you want a more smokey flavor just toss in a fresh chunklet on the coals and turn off the fan for a couple of minutes. There is almost no ash created as the system burns completly. Just under the grill is a flame disfuser that makes the system pretty even temp all over the grill surface. If you are grilling in the wind it will be a llittle cooler on the windward side.

Royce
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari
Toronto , Ontario
I've used a small portable Ducane gas BBQ for years and it has been great.

http://www.ducane.com/take_it_or_leave_it.asp

I highly recommend it.
oscarb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:45 AM   #27
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I have and love the Thermos Grill 2 Go. It is real similar to the Coleman grill.

It runs about $130.00. I have used it for one season and it is a great grill. Cooks my breakfast as well because half the grilling surface is a gridle. The folding legs can be a bit wobbly if close attention is not paid to placement of the legs during setup. Other than that it is a great grill. Light, easy to use, folds up and stashes away fast and easy.

Besides that, it looks better than the Coleman. Everyone knows that a red grill cooks best.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lowest tech

i use the good old weber smokey joe. with charcoal of course.

costs about 30 bucks last time i checked. if it gets damaged or rusted through i doesn't owe me anything!

i actually have two, one was given to me by fellow campers at sturgis, they bought it to use and couldn't (and didn't plan to) take it home with them. they were on bikes and said even with the cost of the grill it was cheaper than eating out a couple of nights at the rally! bonus for me! (i did give them a couple of cold miller highlifes in trade)

transporting the smokey joe can be difficult because it is top heavy and wants to tip over. i found that it fits nicely into a standard milk crate and with a couple of bungees to keep the lid in place it rides in the back of my pickup very well. small bbq tools and lighter fluid fit in the bottom of the milk crate as well.

i also have a propane king cooker with a large aluminum pot for boiling sweet corn or seafood. it runs on a standard 20 lb propane bottle. the bottle fits into a milk crate as well, allowing it to be safely stowed in the pickup.

the king cooker doubles as a water heater for washing dishes when we have a large group and i don't want to fill the grey tank.

john
Old 01-04-2004, 06:56 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
John, is that the Smokey Joe a smoker? I have one of those Brand X smokers I got at HD. I smoke dry hot RED Jalapeno peppers, then you have "Chipotle". After they are dry grind them up and sprinkle on whatever.
Another thing to make is "Spam Jerky" cut the Spam into strips sprinkle with pepper and smoke dry. A little salty, but good.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:13 AM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
pick

nope, it is just a little version of the normal sized weber grill.

however, if you build a small fire and place it on one side, add wet wood chips you can smoke with it. i have done fresh rainbow trout this way.

it does a passable job.

interesting recipe for spam b.t.w.!

john
Old 01-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
2005 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
We've done a lot of camping and almost always cook outdoors. After burning through a $15 copy, we spent $49 on the Weber portable (Go-Anywhere?). It is definitely better quality and worth the difference. We also have a Coleman RoadTrip Grill (very popular at little league games). It is versatile and has a large area, but it is heavy and difficult to store. At the end of the day, I'd recommend a good Coleman propane stove, a Weber grill, and a refillable propane tank or tap into the trailer supply.
68tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
The delecto grill sounds great! Thanks for spreading the info. Have you tried cutting your own hardwood blocks? We have so much stacked oak and it's too hot to burn. This sounds very similar to a little stove I have that uses a fan and one D cell and can boil a pot of water in two minutes using just about anything-bark, pinecones, pine needles leaves etc.
But I couldn't find any price info on them. The site is being remodeled. Approx how much is the Delecto? Thanks silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We just received UPS the Firelight II by Ducane: a small portable suitcase type propane combo. One side functions as a grill while the other as a two burner stove. We have previously used a two burner Coleman propane stove along with a Little Smokey Joe barbecue grill. If we like the new unit, we'll pass the others on to our kids. We'll try it out at the Midwest Rally and report back.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
The delecto grill sounds great! Thanks for spreading the info. Have you tried cutting your own hardwood blocks? We have so much stacked oak and it's too hot to burn. This sounds very similar to a little stove I have that uses a fan and one D cell and can boil a pot of water in two minutes using just about anything-bark, pinecones, pine needles leaves etc.
But I couldn't find any price info on them. The site is being remodeled. Approx how much is the Delecto? Thanks silver suz

I cut my own hardwood but it must be Kiln Dried in order to work well. If you want more info while the site is being rebuilt call Woodflame and ask for Karen at 1-888-664-6966.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Outdoor gas grill

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not on the forums, but I'm sure most A/Sers have some sort of outdoor grilling equipment. I know there are a zillion products for grilling out there, and wonder what has worked for A/Sers. Must be compact (just two of us), easy to clean, and produces great grilling results. Prefer not to deal with charcoal, so limits choices to LP or Electric. Is it possible (or even worth the effort) to hook up a small outdoor gas grill to the LP tanks on the trailer, since the gas is already there? I prefer to cook outdoors while camping. We first bought a small electric grill from Walmart, but returned it after having second thoughts about the quality of the product.
I guess this would qualify as an "Airstreamers Consumer Reports" on outdoor grills! Anyone out there firing up their grills?
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Do it yacht style.
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...p?catalogid=23
Others available from other places but you cann't beat the boat lp grills for a landyacht.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Paul,
That really looks slick! Can it be mounted somewhere, or just set on outdoor table? That looks like an LP connector on the right side of the picture....is it easy to hook/unhook? All stainless steel.......Nice! Looks like easy cleanup too!
Thanks for the info.
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
That grill does look slick but expensive...we bought a great little grill that sits on a picnic table from Wal Mart (other retailers have them too) for $30.!!!
It takes the prop gas cylinders (2 in a pack for about $3.00)..They last a long time. We went to a rally and only used one the whole time there. No one else brought a grill so it really did get used. It holds plenty of food. We put our grill in a big plastic bag and it fits in the outside compartment easily.
Good luck...
Old 07-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #39
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We use an inexpensive grill similar to the one described above. I keep it in my pickup tool box between campsites. Works wonderfully, and as stated above, is very efficient using the propane cylinders. The LP cylinders are so reasonable and easy to use and store that I see no reason to try and use the LP tanks on the trailer. Besides that, if you have a tank cover, the lid on the cover should be supported when opened or eventually it will begin to crack along beside the hinges. It just isn't designed to be opened and left unsupported in the manner that would be necessary in tying in an auxillary appliance such as a gas grill.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8172

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=4158

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote