Old 01-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
You'll probably think I'm far too old-fashioned, but I use only flat sheets in my '66 Safari. I learned how to make up a bed back in the 1940's when no one had even heard of fitted sheets. We tucked the edges of the bottom sheet under the mattress, and it worked. I use the same method in the Airstream.
I do not think you old fashion at all! I can sew but I like you choose to use flat sheets for a bottom sheet. They work well and stay tucked in if done correctly. I also use a duvet on top that I do make covers for to match the trailer deco if I can not find a store bought cover I like that matches the decor.

I prefer using duvets as I can change the weight/fill of the duvet to match the season.

Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
I do not think you old fashion at all! I can sew but I like you choose to use flat sheets for a bottom sheet. They work well and stay tucked in if done correctly. I also use a duvet on top that I do make covers for to match the trailer deco if I can not find a store bought cover I like that matches the decor.

I prefer using duvets as I can change the weight/fill of the duvet to match the season.
I prefer duvets too, started using them after a year in Sweden when the furnished apartment included duvets. I can't think why anyone would prefer regular sheets and blankets. I make all of my own duvet covers, and have even cut king size down duvets and covers in half to make two twins: works great! And when you buy the down duvets and covers in thrift stores, you have an incredible bargain. (Just have the duvets dry-cleaned and you're good.)

Vivian

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I prefer duvets too, started using them after a year in Sweden when the furnished apartment included duvets. I can't think why anyone would prefer regular sheets and blankets. I make all of my own duvet covers, and have even cut king size down duvets and covers in half to make two twins: works great! And when you buy the down duvets and covers in thrift stores, you have an incredible bargain. (Just have the duvets dry-cleaned and you're good.)

Vivian
Been using them at home for 40 years. You can wash down filled ones using the hand wash cycle or gently cycle using a gently soap such as Woolite. Just make sure you dry on a very low temp with a couple of tennis balls in the dryer.

Have actually switched over from feathers to using silk filled ones over the last couple of years. Find they are lighter but work well in larger range of temps and the silk does not bunch up as feathers tend to do with time/use.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
Have actually switched over from feathers to using silk filled ones over the last couple of years. Find they are lighter but work well in larger range of temps and the silk does not bunch up as feathers tend to do with time/use.
Could you provide a link or two to these products?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Not al all. I didn’t start making my own bed until 6 years in 1964. Mom only had flats in the beginning. Was so happy for fitted. The twins in our airstream slide around and the pups have been known to play on the beds. I can’t image flats staying tucked in. Such a 1st world problem.

Not a problem in my small trailer, because all the beds are gauchos and have to convert into couches in the daytime. The flat sheets fold smaller and store neatly in a roof locker above the gaucho.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Could you provide a link or two to these products?

Thanks,

Peter
Peter you can find duvets feather filled, silk filled or poly filled at pretty well any home store that sells bedding.

Do a search on Amazon.com and you will find lots of duvets just make sure you are searching for duvet and not duvet covers only. Use the search words: silk duvet.

Here is one to get you started. Amazon Silk Filled Duvet

If you are looking for a inexpensive way to switch to duvets IKEA has a big selection of various weights. They list them as comforter not duvet. But the covers for them are listed as duvets covers. I used the polyfilled ones in my last trailer. One light one for summer and a much heavier for fall and winter camping. They are much easier to clean, just toss in the washer, great option if you have children who spill things. IKEA also sells down filled as well.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Comox , British Columbia
BTW if you use duvets with covers only the covers are what you would wash when you do your sheet change. How frequently you clean the duvet itself depends greatly on the amount of use. In a home you clean them a few times a year. If used in a trailer and your not full timing, cleaning them at the end of camping season is really all you need to do.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks. For some reason I have never heard of a silk duvet.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Been using them at home for 40 years. You can wash down filled ones using the hand wash cycle or gently cycle using a gently soap such as Woolite. Just make sure you dry on a very low temp with a couple of tennis balls in the dryer.

I have silk duvets bought in Beijing several years ago, just haven't used them yet because I am so happy with the down. I need to find them and at least try them out!

My last down duvet purchase (Q-sized down with linen cover--$7.99 in a thrift!) taken to a dry cleaners and asked them to wash in large machine (too big to wash properly in my washer/dryer); they said dry cleaning is actually better for the down because even washing with the correct soap removes some of the oils in the down that protects the down and keeps it fluffy, so I am converted to dry cleaning. Maybe washing is what causes the bunching up. And I wouldn't use feather duvets: too heavy and it does bunch up; I only use goose down. Been using them since 1979.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
BTW if you use duvets with covers only the covers are what you would wash when you do your sheet change. How frequently you clean the duvet itself depends greatly on the amount of use. In a home you clean them a few times a year. If used in a trailer and your not full timing, cleaning them at the end of camping season is really all you need to do.
Yes, that's one of the things I love about duvets: no top sheets! The duvet cover is the "sheet" that protects the duvet from body oils. And making a bed with a duvet is so simple: just shake out the duvet to cover the mattress evenly and you're done!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
If you are looking for a inexpensive way to switch to duvets IKEA has a big selection of various weights. They list them as comforter not duvet. But the covers for them are listed as duvets covers. I used the polyfilled ones in my last trailer. One light one for summer and a much heavier for fall and winter camping. They are much easier to clean, just toss in the washer, great option if you have children who spill things. IKEA also sells down filled as well.
Here we are back to sewing skills again: you can make polyester duvets very easily with unbleached muslin (cover) and however many layers of quilt batting you want depending on level of desired warmth.

I made two sets for my A/S: one lightweight (one layer of quilt batting) and the second with 3 layers of batting. Just measure out your layers in the size you want, pin the layers together and serge around the outside, catching unbleached muslin and batting in the stitching. To prevent the layers from shifting during use and washing, I "tied" the layers together as quilters do.

They have held up beautifully and been washed many times. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Sorry for so many posts: since space is so important in our coaches, I have found that the duvets fold up nicely and squash into a European-sized pillow sham, then you can use it as a throw pillow or back rest when lounging. So it doesn't have to take up storage space if you don't have "dedicated" beds in your coach.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
2018 26' Flying Cloud
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I like the idea of Beddys with AB cotton and fit on the curve. Though the beddy seems to hug the mattress nicely but we have not slept in them in the camper. We tried them in house and discoverd the minky is just too warm for use in Florida winters where we run the ac often.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
2018 26' Flying Cloud
That's another great idea. I can see where AB twin cotton sheets with a nice twin comforter. I love and use my summer weight down most of the year in the house. From July to October in Fla usually have just top sheet and LIGHT cotton spread to keep the AC set to the warmest tolerable setting.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Old 01-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Here we are back to sewing skills again: you can make polyester duvets very easily with unbleached muslin (cover) and however many layers of quilt batting you want depending on level of desired warmth.

I made two sets for my A/S: one lightweight (one layer of quilt batting) and the second with 3 layers of batting. Just measure out your layers in the size you want, pin the layers together and serge around the outside, catching unbleached muslin and batting in the stitching. To prevent the layers from shifting during use and washing, I "tied" the layers together as quilters do.

They have held up beautifully and been washed many times. Try it, you'll like it!
Another good option.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
We tried them in house and discoverd the minky is just too warm for use in Florida winters where we run the ac often.
I ordered mine with "no Minky" partly because I couldn't find a good explanation of 'Minky'. Looks like I choose wisely.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #37
JacKim

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Clifton , Texas
twin sheets and new quilts for twins

I just use standard twin sheets but add 2 sheet suspenders on each twin bed (underside) for a tight fit. You can buy at Walmart, BBB,...

Also I wanted a new quilt for the twin beds but the ones I saw were too wide (hang down to the floor) so a purchased a Queen size quilt and had an alteration shop cut into 2 equal pieces longways and add a binding on the cut side of each piece to make 2 twin quilts with the correct wide (hangs down about 6" on sides).
Old 02-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #38
Fulltimer Oldtimer

2015 30' International
Marietta , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
I like the idea of Beddys with AB cotton and fit on the curve. Though the beddy seems to hug the mattress nicely but we have not slept in them in the camper. We tried them in house and discoverd the minky is just too warm for use in Florida winters where we run the ac often.

Love our Beddys with minky even in FL ( where we are now). AC on 69 degrees and cover up! With our matressinsider.com mattress itís the best sleep ever.

2015 International Sig
2015 Ford F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L
marcusmark is offline   Reply With Quote