Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Any Gluten-Free Chefs Out There?

Based on celiac requirements for some, we've gone nearly (can't say 100%, because there's always something in the pantry that isn't) completely GF in our household.

Any good camping recipes you can share?

Stir-fry is always a crowd pleaser (especially if we're near the water and it's shrimp). "San-J" makes very good GF soy sauce and different marinates.

My DW makes a killer apple-crisp using GF oats and tart apples; warm under chocolate ice-cream is out-of-this-world.

"America's Test Kitchen" published a great GF cookbook. Has a bunch of really spot-on reviews of GF products, too.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Castle Rock , Colorado
Several members of our household are gluten intolerant so we usually cook GF. Camping favorites include taco salad (many corn chips are gf and there are some gf taco seasonings), "hobo" suppers of chicken tenders and veggies in foil packets, meat sauce on gf pasta, breakfast for dinner, ham and apples or if we are somewhere with electricity we might do a stew in the crock pot.
-Kevin and Martha
kmlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Same here...DW found out a couple years ago she is "sensitive" to gluten.. We struggle to find decent recipes, the uplift in price for "specialty" is astonishing!!!!!! Bob's Red Mill has options and a few recipes...

We just purchased a book which has many "reworked" recipes to eliminate gluten. If they turn out to be good, we'll share the book name!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
+1 all day breakfast

+1 on taco salad.
Iceberg lettuce, black beans, seasoned ground chuck (ground pepper, paprika, salt, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cumin), non-GMO tortilla chips, Daiya orange/white shredded non-dairy cheese, guacamole (fresh garlic, lemon juice)

We can serve the whole crew, and then some.

Barilla has outstanding GF pasta. Spaghetti tends to clump, if you're not extremely careful- olive oil, salt, constant stirring with pasta spatula.

Crock pot is another fave. We burned out an 800W inverter trying to run a crock pot over-the-road (whoops!).

If there was one thing I wish was identical in the GF world: hamburger buns

The only thing we've been able to substitute, with OK results, is "Udi's Bagels"

But, I guess that soft, chewy bun is impossible without gluey gluten...
Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes! Same here. A couple times we went to Fuddruckers.. $1 uplift!!! Stopped that foolishness.

I have found lightly buttered or olive oil and pan toasted UDI bread is so good I don't miss the regular HB buns.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Texas Parks & Wildlife's contest winner

Couple of years ago, I stole this one out TP&W's website. It was the winner of their camping recipe contest that year. Gluten free, by accident, I'm sure, and the family loves it.

Dutch Oven Green Chile, Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas

recipe submitted by Victoria Serna from Denton, TX
Ingredients

16 corn tortillas 
3 large chicken breasts, shredded 
3-4 cups spinach (or kale, chard, greens) 
1 pkg Neufchatel cheese [similar to cream cheese] (softened) 
1 can diced green chiles 
1 28oz can green chile enchilada sauce 
1/2 cup shredded cheese 
1 large zip-loc bag 
1 12-inch dutch oven
At Home Steps:
• Cook your chicken in any method you choose so it can be shredded. I usually bake or boil it, but I have tried cooking it in a pan on the stove. Baking it makes it much easier to shred, in my opinion. Shred the chicken and set aside.
• Place a pan over the stove on medium-low heat. Add the shredded chicken, Neufchatel cheese, spinach (chard, kale, or other veggies), and diced green chiles to a pan.
• Cook on medium-low heat until all of the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted, usually 5-7 minutes. Let the mixture cool. (Tip: add the cheese in small chunks)
• Once mixture is cool, use a spatula to put all of it in a gallon-size zip-loc bag. You can easily put this in your cooler until you're ready for dinner at the campsite. You'll need to take the other items so you can make the meal at the campsite.
• Don't forget: the can of sauce, a can-opener, a dutch-oven (been there, forgot that), shredded cheese, tongs, a spatula, a lighter, charcoal (or wood), and a leather glove for handing hot tools. Take the tools you need to have a comfortable meal!
At the Campsite Steps:
• Light enough coals to heat your dutch oven to approximately 350 degrees. We have a 12-inch dutch oven and usually heat enough to have about 14 coals on top and 10 on bottom, give or take.
• Heat the dutch oven on the bottom coals for a few seconds and then pour some sauce straight from the can into the bottom of the oven.
• Place a layer of tortillas at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them as needed. Spread a layer of your chicken and spinach mixture on the first layer of tortillas. Repeat this step twice to have more tortillas in the "casserole" or do this step once to have a more creamy version.
• Cover the enchiladas with a layer of tortillas and pour the remaining sauce into the dutch oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
• Place the lid on the dutch oven, add the coals on top, and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For best results, turn your dutch oven 1/4 turn every 5-7 minutes for more even cooking.
• Use your spatula to serve the enchiladas, and enjoy
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
BTW, that recipe works quite well in a slow cooker also.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks delicious, mimiandrews!

Did a copy&paste, to try later.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

1964 17' Bambi II
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Hi--I am addicted to Frontier Soups--many are gluten free and you just add a few extra ingredients. They are super easy and yummy. I order them online for more choices. Enjoy!
Robgski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Houston , Texas
New to the forum, about to purchase our first AS!! Very excited!
We eat gluten free, and mostly "paleo" (no grains) - cooked in a motorhome for a year...

I find that if you shop on the outside perimeter of the grocery store and just eat whole foods - you can avoid the "upcost" of processed gluten free foods, though sometimes they're nice to have in a pinch.

One of my favorites to make was Carnitas (slow cooked pork shoulder in a crock pot). Link to recipe.

It could be cooking for 4 hours in crock pot with mexican spices - then we can eat off a 5 lb pork shoulder for days...
wrap it in lettuce with some pico de gallo
eat by itself with a side of sautιed veggies
wrapped in a corn tortilla if you want the taco feel
put over white rice and black beans for a more cuban meal
freeze the rest when you're over it, for defrosting later for a quick meal.

Another favorite is mashed cauliflower served with anything!
steam or boil cauliflower, when done put some butter or cream cheese in and mash with fork, put in salt and pepper - done. we like ours "chunky" but to fool the kids, use an immersion blender or just mash up really well with fork, add some shredded cheese - and they'll love it!
serve with:
bunless burgers - either wrapped in lettuce or served just the patty with some cheese
steaks from the cast iron over the campfire or camp grill
grilled chicken breasts
grilled/sauteed shrimp
* i love mashed cauliflower cause it's easier to cut up than potatoes
* takes less time to steam or boil than potatoes (using less propane and less heating of the place)
* replaces starch with a veggie that kids will hardly notice
* keeps for days, warms up well
* because it's a veggie but also feels like mashed potatoes, no other side needed!

Lastly, taco soup...
brown some ground beef and an onion, in a stock pot
dump three different cans of beans drained into the pot
dump, can of diced tomatoes with juice, can of drained corn, can of green chiles, 3 TBS of taco seasoning, let it simmer for 15 minutes - ready!
it doesn't have to be served immediately to be good, which is a real plus when a new camping friend comes by for a "quick" visit that turns into an hour and it reheats amazingly well. (of course this is hinged on you not minding using canned goods - i know it's against my "perimeter of the store" thing, but it is easy if you've had a long day

Hope this helps! I have lots more, but these are my go-tos
Andreaharps is offline   Reply With Quote