Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
2011 25' International-No Microwave!

Just picker her up yesterday and so far, I love it! However, I didn't realize it, but the convection oven isn't in it. No microwave!!! What are some of you Interstate owners doing for microwave and for coffee makers?
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Mr. Airhead,

I do like the name.

We do much more boondocking than parking at places with full hookups. That said, we much prefer an oven to a microwave. In the perfect world I would want an oven and a separate microwave like the setup in the 27 FB. Since we bought used, we were limited with what we could find.

On those few occasions where we are hooked up we have missed the micro but not enough to buy a new trailer. I personally don't like the idea of the convection oven. Like I said, we are out in the sticks and wouldn't be able to use it much.

The key to all of this is to find the best unit equipped for what you like to do most of the time. The 25 FB fits our needs quite nicely.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
_

. , .
many folks have installed micros' in newer units,

here's a couple of threads with photos and user insight...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f283...ave-19555.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...5-a-44736.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...not-47697.html

lots of others with personalized approaches and nice pix...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Our Bambi has an oven, which we love...and use. But we also take a small portable microwave with us when we know we will have electricity...we set it up outside on a small table...there's not a lot of extra room inside! Works for us!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We have a microwave in ours, but very rarely use it other than to make tea or popcorn. I use the oven on every trip...old fashioned I guess. As for a coffee pot, well, we went to Bed Bath & Beyond and splurged on a good ol' Faberware Percolator Coffee pot...it takes up alot less room on the counter and makes the best pot of really hot coffee! I'm now ready to get one for the house!
Enjoy your new toy!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I use my basic pots and pans to boil the water... then pour into a cute modern coffee press that I got at Marshall's ... wonderful and stylish! For popcorn, I use Jiffy Pop or make it in my larger 2 1/2 qt pan with lid.

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We just completed our third year with our 25' International. To date, we've not used the cookstove/oven. We use the microwave all the time but the oven is simply another storage area. Which is really strange as we don't even have a microwave at home so never use one there. If we plan to fix a meal that requires oven cooking, it is done outside in the firering. Works for us! Some folks enjoy boondocking - we prefer full hook-ups. We just returned from a week in southern Indiana along the Ohio River. Campground with 160 sites - we were the ONLY camper in the CG. Got so cold, owners prefered turning all water supply off to keep it from freezing. We filled our tank before unhooking but we did still have electricity and sewer. Temps. reached 21 degrees - cold enough but the AS handled it well. Had two small oil-filled radiators to keep the AS warm during the day - the furnace to heat it up after a night of no heat.
It was a good time! We really like the self contained cooker sets - rack on top, filled with charcoal and just light the paper cover which lights all the charcoal. In 30-40 minutes, charcoal is ready and it usually cooks for 90 minutes - time for s'mores after dinner. Enjoy your travels!!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
The last trip we didn't use a coffee maker. Just heated water and did a press. Might not miss the microwave at all!
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote