Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
It is incomprehensible to me that people would choose storage space or easy of bed making over being able to sleep next to their partner. Many of our travels take us to beautiful, romantic getaways and I can't image having a trailer with twin beds. Maybe we still think we are newlyweds after only 31 short years of marriage but normally sharing a bed is non negotiable.

We also feel the same way with people wanting recliners over a sofa. It seems like we are the only Airstream owners that aren't complaining about the "L" lounge.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You can do what grown folks do on one of the twin beds and then get on the other bed to sleep...
That narrow bed ain't stoppin' nothin' from goin' on!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Near 1200 nights in our FC25RB Queen and still enjoying it. Put in a Sleep Number mattress with separate firmness controls last year and enjoying it more.

She uses two elastic bed straps underneath to hold the fitted sheet better in the center. A plush blanket that has a pocket at the bottom wraps around the foot of the mattress to keep it in place. For cold weather she attaches a down comforter to the plush blanket with ties she sewed on each. Then that assembly is under the factory Airstream bedspread that also has a pocket at the bottom to hold it in place. She pulls the assembly up into position before getting out of bed in the morning, then gets up and pulls it straight so it looks nice. If it's really cold, she throws a Pendleton Wool Blanket over the top of it all. Pretty fast and easy.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You can do what grown folks do on one of the twin beds and then get on the other bed to sleep...
That narrow bed ain't stoppin' nothin' from goin' on!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
What many of us are saying, is, even after adult festivities are completed or sometimes without having festivities, many, many of us prefer to snuggle/cuddle in the SAME bed. So much so that we can't imagine other couples not doing so. Yet others prefer that. It just depends on the preference of the couple IMHO.

Personally for us, QUEEN bed or bust!!

quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
With the twin beds it is easier to walk between the beds than it is to side-step around the island queen.
There are more storage compartments more easily accessed from inside and outside the trailer with the twin beds.
The twin beds are easier to make up.
That being said, you are sleeping beside a cold wall on the twin beds...
We mostly solved the cold wall by putting a 1/2" layer of foam rubber against the walls above the beds, covering it with some napped polyester upholstery material and trimming it out with aluminum floor covering trim which holds the top edge securely. I said mostly because in our unit there is a large window above each twin but lined curtains helps with that also.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #46
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Wow I must say this forum has been the most informative with quickest detailed responses Thank You. As stated I think so far it leans towards the twins over queen I like having my better half next to me examples of the dogs laying between twins is a factor to consider we have 2 babies that are going with us. AS is an adventure even before you own one! Thank You All very much
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Some time ago I asked about what was involved in converting twins to a queen. I got some pictures from someone who actually did the conversion. We are in the group that wants a queen. We're looking for a 34' Airstream, so that will give us the walk-around queen. We're not going to look at any twins.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
It is incomprehensible to me that people would choose storage space or easy of bed making over being able to sleep next to their partner. Many of our travels take us to beautiful, romantic getaways and I can't image having a trailer with twin beds. Maybe we still think we are newlyweds after only 31 short years of marriage but normally sharing a bed is non negotiable.
Yes.

Cuddling and snuggling with ones partner is important.

Maggie
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I've had my trailer both ways and the twins are a little more livable. The factory had upholstered cardboard wall coverings on the walls next to the beds that worked to keep you from touching the cold walls. I built a Queen platform over the twins and that worked well also except for it was an East-West orientation. If I was getting another trailer I'd be tempted to get a North-South Queen. It's really about a toss up either way so I'd advise either a North-South Queen 52% or Twins 48% ! The water heater under the street side bed was a bonus in the winter but an obstacle for installing a Queen. Also when I first started living in my trailer I had to learn to "rotate on a spit" to turn over because I had been sleeping in a Queen bed. Not a problem and the drawers under the beds was compensation for that.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I agree with HeadWest, except we have been hitched 42 short years. It all depends on one's preference to snuggle or not.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #51
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Full sized queen

We had to use twins on a river cruise. It worked, but was not our preference.

The Queen in the 23FB is an East West configuration. The person in the front has to crawl over the person on the outside. This is a problem for some. We get up together, so it's not a problem for us. The bed is hard to make, but I have long arms that make it easier. Not much of a sacrifice and using a king sheet with a big quilt helps wrap everything up so it stays made.

The short queen is easily replaced with a standard length mattress. It just takes the addition of some 1/4" plywood to support the foot and some pillows to fill the void at the top. Modifications make the coach your own.

So the answer to your question is simple. It depends on you. Everything about the configuration of your ideal AS coach depends on you. Cost, availability, condition, length, bed, toilet, shower, AC, sink, frig size, dinette, couch, recliner, storage, closets, front or rear BR, bunks, tow vehicle ....... it is all up to you. Get it right for you.

Good luck with your investigation. It's a lot of the fun. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #52
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
My wife and I are mid forties with two kids. We had planned on a 25FB queen but when we saw it it just seemed totally impractical compared to the twins. Lots more room to move around with the twins, the bedroom becomes a usable room on a rainy day with the twins, and sleeping configuration can be changed more easily with twins if we had guests or wished to send the kids to bed earlier or something like that.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I'm with all the above. I have a 27' twin and love it. I know when I was looking for a used twin it was hard to find. I opted for a new one.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #54
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
I had a 27' queen and just bought a 30' with twins. I agree with all of the above mentioned benefits of the twin (that's why I ordered it!).
One downside to the twin is that in cold weather, you are really close to the very cold walls.
I think the queen is much better for lounging, watching a movie, and keeping warm
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
We have had two twins. I did not Ike them at all. It seemed like they were too narrow and when I rolled over my face would wind up against the curved wall. We now have the Queen. Both of us plus our cocker sleep in it and we have plenty of room. My wife says it is much easier to make up. It does make it a little tight in the bedroom but the comfort that we get negates that. IMHO.
Woodbury, Minnesota
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Did you convert yourself or have and AS dealer or RV shop do it? Would love to see photos. We have the East/West front bed and if you are on the inside you need a lot of flexibility to get out in the night without disturbing your partner. Sorry for the hijack!
We converted it ourselves. Yes I have lots of pictures. Not sure this thread is the place to post them. Let me know.
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #57
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
I would appreciate a pics or tutorials
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
For me, only one negative and that is that I can't sleep with my wife. Plus what about a guys only trip? MUCH better. Otherwise, too many positives too count!

Jamie
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #59
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
As for having tried both the corner bed when we were younger was fine but as I got older and having to get up in the middle of the night and having to climb over the wife and dog because she can't sleep on the inside love love my twins......
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
We came up with a way to have both, but it is a custom re--do & not cheap. We hated the 2nd gaucho that was the fold out Queen in our unit (an '81 27' Excella). It was uncomfortable, and dumb, to sit on as a sofa and worse as a bed. I pulled it out and had built a Twin XL day bed with two storage drawers at the base and a slide out platform for a 20" wide extension. The twin measures 39x 60 - when the platform is extended, it is 59x60 - 1" shy of a full Queen. I purchased a good twin xl mattress and had a custom 20x60 mattress made. Significant other and I can "snuggle" or sleep together in the Queen or sleep separate utilizing the other gaucho and the twin. When alone I never use the extension. The twin is super comfy, extra long and the storage is great. Hope this idea helps someone. (p.s. We modified the plans found online for the daybed.)
I would be super interested in seeing photos and plans! We are renovating a 67 Overlander. We plan on converting the bed/sofa at the back to a permanent queen bed but we are looking for ideas "out front" living room.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote