Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Forest River is generating sales for Airstream...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
but there is no Tundra with an 8' bed anymore.
Are you sure? You can still build 2017 model standard cabs and double cabs with a 8 ft bed on Toyotas website.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where do I start?

Let me put a qualifier:
There are no Tundra CrewMax with 8' beds.
There may be no Limited, Platinum, or 1794 Edition with 8' beds.
At least I have never seen one.
The only ones I have seen with 8' beds are DoubleCab base models.
The is a CrewMax 8' bed on Desert Kar Kings on Velocity channel, but they built it themselves.
There was a conversion company several years ago that would build you one, but it was very expensive and that payload thing.
I guess it really lacks the payload to have a big cab and a big bed.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
40 years of RVs. We went from our 5th wheel to nice used 03 AS Classic for simplicity. We have a 15 year old F250 diesel that still performs very well but a properly equipped half ton will do when the time comes. The "stuff" I carried in the 5th wheel was excessive. Now the AS is easy to tow...fuel mileage is great...and it's so cool for a part time retirement home. Happy happy happy.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Owning an AS is a lifestyle choice. Don't think we realized that until we took delivery and attended a rally (Canopener 2016). What great people! We strongly prefer camping with other Airstreams. Earlier in the thread, someone noted that Airstreamers "travel." That fits us to a tee; we have always had wanderlust.

DW and I spent years researching AS; cancer striking a son and SIL delayed our purchase for three years. During the three year delay, we considered the 25FB and then focused on 27FB, but saw several complaints on the Forum about lack of comfort in the dinette/sofa area. We decided on the Classic 30 because of the real wood cabinets and other aspects that just "spoke" to us. Ordered it July 15 and picked it up the last work day of '15. We have been very happy with the AS; have had a Class A DP in the past; quality is much better with AS. The layout of the Classic is just perfect for us. Had we purchased the 27FB, we would have just pined after the 30 until we traded. Didn't you say "go big or go home" in your OP?

Whatever you choose, be sure to also select a TV with sufficient excess capacity to tow the trailer and carry your stuff. We chose a F250 diesel and love it. Going down a steep grade without using brakes (exhaust brake) is great. As someone who grew up on a ranch driving/towing equipment and then drove big trucks in college (delivered/transferred equipment for a freight company), I can tell you that towing ability is nice, but stopping ability can save your life.

Whatever AS or TV you choose, add a WDSC hitch system (we chose ProPride). You can certainly tow even the largest AS with TVs smaller than ours, but without WDSC you would be at serious risk on the road even with an F450 or equivalent.

Good luck with your search and selection process; take your time and continue to read the Forum. The Forum was our primary research source; we made several decisions based on info obtained here. We have also gotten great info from other AS'ers at rallies.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Welcome

My wife and I have owned other travel trailers and a fifth wheel and I can honestly say that we feel more at home in our 30' 2003 Classic than any of the others...new or used. It is solid...It has everything we need and it doesn't shake apart going down the road. We always dreamed of having an Airstream but felt we could never afford a new one. Ours is 13 years old and just like new....Why aren't theremore on the road???? I suppose Airstream builds enough to keep their quality at it's peak and doesn't compromise for numbers. Goid luck on your journey....Do it in an Airstream.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I also own a 30' Classic because it has been a lifetime dream.
After 32 years of tent camping we got a white box travel trailer.
All those years I thought I could never afford a camper of any kind.
Then I thought I could never afford an Airstream trailer.
I owned the 2009 Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS 2 years and 4 months till I got the Airstream.
Nearly 4 years later it is still surreal.
I own a beautiful American icon.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome to the fun.

As a comment on tow vehicles, if you do feel that a Tundra can meet the payload needs for your situation, then I will pine on about mine for a line or 2.

I drive a 2014 Tundra 5.8L V8 4x4 extended cab short bed as my daily driver. It is a very comfortable ride. We have owned 2 suburbans in the past, and the Tundra is much easier to drive around the city. More comfortable seats, better shifting points for the gears (it's easy to keep it at 35 mph around town. That was not easy with the Suburban). It has great AC, and the back seats flip up to create a huge area there.

But my #1 favorite feature is that on my trim level, the back window rolls completely down. That is just so awesome for highway travel on days with nice weather. You get that fresh air feeling without the wind in you face/blowing hair into your eyes. And unlike a sun roof you don't get cooked or need to worry about sunburn

I belive the 2017 model also offers a 35 gallon fuel tank. That would be a nice to have also.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
SnuffySmith, welcome, I have a 31' 1978 International that I've owned for many years bought as used and have put some repairs into it.
I would NEVER buy a new AS even if I could afford one if I was looking I would try to find one built before 2002 and refurbished or 1970 some thing classic reburbished 31' you will find the longer trailer is more stable towing and a lot easier to back up then the short ones, the saying "buy your 3rd trailer first" will save you a lot of frustration in the long run. I have pulled my AS with a GMC 1500 1/2 ton pickup for many thousands of miles and average between 12.5 and 15.5 mpg. Good luck! Maybe see you down the road.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
Snuffy,
Welcome to the forum!
Where to start.
At home, look at all your stuff, decide how much of it you really need to travel with.
The Airstream lifestyle is comfortable, easy to tow, iconic in a classic sort of way. But traveling and experiencing new places and people is the real end game. SOB of trailer might let you pack more of that stuff. Might let you sit inside more and miss out on the places' you are at.
We tried to make the best choice for us, 2014 27FB International CCD, lounge/dinette space and bedroom. Both have tv, wife and I can have our own space when needed. We started with a 1500 Chevy ended up with the 2500 td.
We are still working and camping as elderly parents will let us.
Most likely will upgrade to a 30 to retire with a larger bathroom.
Good Luck!
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Welcome to the fun.

As a comment on tow vehicles, if you do feel that a Tundra can meet the payload needs for your situation, then I will pine on about mine for a line or 2.

I drive a 2014 Tundra 5.8L V8 4x4 extended cab short bed as my daily driver. It is a very comfortable ride. We have owned 2 suburbans in the past, and the Tundra is much easier to drive around the city. More comfortable seats, better shifting points for the gears (it's easy to keep it at 35 mph around town. That was not easy with the Suburban). It has great AC, and the back seats flip up to create a huge area there.

But my #1 favorite feature is that on my trim level, the back window rolls completely down. That is just so awesome for highway travel on days with nice weather. You get that fresh air feeling without the wind in you face/blowing hair into your eyes. And unlike a sun roof you don't get cooked or need to worry about sunburn

I belive the 2017 model also offers a 35 gallon fuel tank. That would be a nice to have also.

Another Tundra lover.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
It is evident that all those posting love their Airstreams!

I have only this to add. I would strongly consider purchasing a nice, one to slightly less than two year old Airstream (they come with a two year warranty) that has already taken the depreciation hit. This will allow you to make sure you like the lifestyle and trailer size and if you don't you can resell without costing you as much as purchasing new would have.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
My primitive male instincts are to go big or go home. I counter that with the Robin Williams guiding principal; "Men have a p***s and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time".

We're leaning towards a Classic, but don't know exactly why just yet; top of the line, more space. A 28-30 foot rig seems right...

Meeks, with that kind of phraseology, I don't think Snuffy cares one iota about those depreciative hits. (BTW, I also bought new - was impetuous - no regrets!)

Snuffy, go for it, man! Sixty is the age to ditch "a cautious life."
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Now that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the many thoughtful and insightful replies. It will be fun putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Thanks for your assistance.

We live in Minnesota which isn't overly hospitable to retirees from a tax standpoint. We are open to establishing residence elsewhere, and I've done some research on that topic.

In terms of an AS and TV, is there any information suggesting there are better states than others to purchase/register the rig? I am not fully informed as yet on MN fees/taxes relating to RV's, but it's a fair bet that if there is a dollar of revenue to be had, MN will be collecting it.

We have only one AS dealer in MN. We visited them last week for the first time and found them to be hospitable. Are there any dealers across the country that veteran AS'ers view as cream of the crop?

Vaya con Dios,

Snuffy
Vroominum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
If I had to do it all over again, I'd likely get a Ram 3500 (non-duelly), as many Ram/AS owners have told me that simply for trailer pulling, the leaf springs in the 3500 work better for towing than the coil springs in the 2500, & the extra cost of the 3500 over the 2500 is only several hundred dollars.

Greetings Rgentum. Thanks for taking time for your informative reply. Quick question. As you noted, the difference in price between a 3/4 and a 1 ton is modest. What is the downside if any of the 1 ton.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Snuffy,
I visited that dealer when they had their satellite location in Des Moines and thought they were very knowledgable.

I suggest that anytime you are someplace between now and when you are ready to buy that you 1-make an appointment and 2-stop by and see for yourself.

Before we bought, we visited Reliable in Springfield Mo, Shorewood in Des Moines (that's the one in Anoka also), Ewald in Milwaukee, and Bill Thomas in St Louis.

We purchased from Bill Thomas. For us it was between them and Shorewood, and we chose Bill Thomas because they were in our state and closer to get to for service. And they were very experienced, a primary Airstream dealer, and knew more than I did when we visited.

Of course if you want to widen your search then use some of those airline miles and go to New Jersey, see a show at the Stone Pony, and visit Colonial.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Thanks Piggy. Coincidentally, Reliable was our first AS stop during a recent visit to the Ozarks.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Porterdale , Georgia
Welcome Snuffy!!! We're 71, with a 2002 Safari. We've had a previous progression of SOBs, but never kept the same one all that long. Once we approached retirement age we decided on Airstream for our dream getaway - not only is it still in perfect condition but it will long outlast us! You can spend the $$$ now, or you can spend it later repairing a lesser quality SOB. and one word of advice regardless of choice: make SURE your couch (or preferably recliners) are comfortable in the long run. You'll be sorry really fast if all the furniture hurts! Been there. Best of luck with your upcoming adventures!!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I live in Florida but purchased my Airstream from Colonial RV in New Jersey. Don't limit yourself to what's close to you. Make it a national search. Half the fun will be getting it home.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought both of our Airstreams from Shorewood and don't regret it; we could have saved a thousand somewhere else but it cost more than that to go get it. We are snowbirds, 6 to 7 months a year traveling and living in our Airstream in the South, Southwest preferred. A few months each year at a large RV resort is a blast, great friendships and community life. We are only in the Airstream in the evenings and to sleep.

We bought the smallest of the large Airstreams, a 25 Rear Bed, and have upgraded and customized it for our long distance travel, emphasis on reliability. Comfortable long-term seating is needed, we had Airstream Factory Service modify ours for recliners.

Living on the road more than half the year, we wanted a safe, comfortable, economical tow vehicle that spends most of its miles as our daily driver when away from home. That excluded heavy duty pickups, we have used half-ton trucks for over 1400 days Airstream travel all over the country many, many times and couldn't be happier.

There are considerations. Travel light in the truck bed, load your Airstream smartly to avoid excess hitch weight (heavy stuff near the trailer axles), a Hensley/ProPride hitch for absolute stability, climb and descend steep grades with reduced speed, stay in control and use a combination of engine compression braking (shift transmission down as needed), truck and trailer service brakes for the safest descents. Avoid long or winding 7% plus grades until you know what you're doing (there are guides to plan your routes) with any tow vehicle. If lots of mountain travel I would upgrade to disc brakes on the Airstream for the safest braking in all conditions.

We leave in a couple of weeks, route to be determined by weather and what we want to see.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote