Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #41
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Survey said Midlands. Real life says small-town Louisiana, northern Maine, southwest Oklahoma, northeast Oklahoma, then big-city Louisiana.

No matter where I go, people say, "You're not from here, are you?" Including the city I've lived in for the last 31 years. So, I guess that means I'm not from anywhere.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
Survey said Midlands. Real life says small-town Louisiana, northern Maine, southwest Oklahoma, northeast Oklahoma, then big-city Louisiana.

No matter where I go, people say, "You're not from here, are you?" Including the city I've lived in for the last 31 years. So, I guess that means I'm not from anywhere.
Just point to the airstream and say "I've been everywhere, man!"
Bonus points if you can sing it like Johnny Cash!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
It missed my birth city by about 25 miles, or 2000 miles depending on which result you choose. I've got a generic midwestern accent apparently.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Got me right too - Boston girl! I've always thought I didn't have a Boston accent. Guess I do!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I must talk funny. It said I was from The Inland North. Wisconson or Chicago. I guess that's pretty close to Eastwood, NY.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have to say that I am originally from the Chicago area, but have lived in the south more years then where I grew up as a young adult.
The results has me half with the midland north and half with the south. 50/50 split.

Brian
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Although I haven't lived there in almost 50 years I did grow up and learned to speak in Minnesota, at the same time and place as Garrison Keillor. People still think I sound like him; I guess you can't shake the accent of where you learned to talk. The quiz pegged me as inland north.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey Webspinner: I wonder if Evanston had less of an accent because it's a university town? My aunt and cousins, from Evanston, have what I think of as a Illinois or Wisconsin longer and slightly nasal "O", as in Ohhhh NOooo.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #49
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I have never been there much less speak it.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Interesting.

I was born in New York, lived most of my life in SF Bay, California, and now live in Los Angeles.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Well that's odd. I have been told I have no accent so that part is accurate, but all those places are not at all right. I have been told I talk fast though? How do you get a "West" accent?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
They pegged me almost nearly correctly, as being from the South (actually Southwest - Texas). Having lived & worked overseas for nearly 25 years in 9 different countries, I thought I'd lost most of my Texas-speak.

I guess you really can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Interesting.

I was born in New York, lived most of my life in SF Bay, California, and now live in Los Angeles.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Well that's odd. I have been told I have no accent so that part is accurate, but all those places are not at all right. I have been told I talk fast though? How do you get a "West" accent?
So Cal people speak faster than Bay Area people. The West accent is, I've been told repeatedly, like a news announcer.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
There is actually a City of West Miami, but I'm from downtown. I guess that I've never talked real good.

Brian
Hey Brian, I went to West Miami Jr High, did you? And SW Miami High: you?

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My results have me from "The Inland North". I was born and raised in the North East, but 40 years in AZ must have moved me slightly from my origin.

Same here. Maybe 8 years in Buffalo and 34 in Colorado have changed me. But, I have no accent anyway.

My wife was raised in Colorado and has lived here all her life but a few years, so she has the midwest neutral accent and pronounces "water" funny.

There are a lot of accents in NYC and because it has always been an immigrant city (whether from other countries or the rest of the US), and they change and influence the NYC accents. I always have thought the Brooklyn accent is the one people most associate with NYC, but we didn't speak that way in Queens. Education makes a lot of difference too as people with college degrees tend to speak a more neutral accent.

Richard grew up a few miles from where I did and he has no accent either.

With national TV, regional accents are disappearing. Travels in New England and the South have shown me the classic accents from those regions are harder to find than when I was a kid. From what I have read, the Appalachia accent is most like the accent of the British when the area was settled. I have never noticed it but it shows up in C&W music.

If you have lived in NYC, you'll know what "Jeet?" means.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
If you have lived in NYC, you'll know what "Jeet?" means.

Yep....Pizza & Wings,

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
We, being Chinese types, are more likely to say "Squeet!"

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
"Jeet" in NYCese, from my Bronx born partner translates to "did you eat?". This to me is similar to PSDS in Rhode-Island-ese.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Even though I have lived in N FL since the early 70s, it did say I was from Ohio which is correct. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, I'm "Midland".

The description accurately reflects my central Illinois upbringing but also my affinity for the South and Confederate heritage.

Fun! Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I was born n New York, and raised in Florida and South Carolina. It said I was from the west... Must have meant western Florida, like St. petersburg!

Marie