Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
-- snip -- fuel cell -- snip -- hydrogen fuel cell, right?
No, a fuel cell is a tank that is fitted with a bladder/foam to make it reasonably safe in a collision. Why would you do such a thing? Because when you add more fuel to your load out you add risk. A fuel cell reduces that risk. There will be some maintenance involved as it is a more complex system than a gas can.

Not suggesting a Hydrogen fuel cell. Save that tech for your stationary solar plant that needs storage so excess power can be used at night.

https://fuelsafe.com/fuel-cell-facts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...CABEgJx3fD_BwE

https://www.jegs.com/i/R.J.S.-Safety...iABEgIfhPD_BwE
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Current example of a vehicle that uses a gasoline fuel cell is the Toyota Prius.

They apparently do it to make estimating range easier...and it makes the fill up take a bit longer in cold weather...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I almost always fill up with fuel before I hookup even if I only need a quarter of a tank to be full. That way I rarely need to stop for fuel before my next unhooking.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
When the gas pump is out of reach

Filling up the truck before hooking up the Airstream has always been our travel routine, just for ease & convenience. Definitely limits the number of fuel stops necessary while the Airstream attached.

The Next Exit 2018 book is another handy little help if you don’t mind a paper book. Lots of info on what you will find at the next exiit AND the RV friendly options are usually listed in RED print for quick iD.

Here’s the Amazon link to purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-201.../dp/0984692169

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Drop the TT, then drive to the gas station. Never, even one time, did I consider this option. What a reasonable thing to do.

I have considered a replacement gas tank, but I am way over payload capacity as it is.

When I was 14 I was a genius, 160 IQ. When I turned 30 I was bright, 110 IQ.When I turned 50 I had an average IQ, 100. Now that I am seventy...I aspire to match Koko the gorilla.
I did consider dropping the trailer in my head to calm me down as an escape hatch but never got to that point. Using the blue ox it takes less than 30 minutes to drop and reconnect. Do it at the Cat Scale occasionally so why not for fueling in crunch.
The smarter I get the more I realize how little I know.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I never felt constrained by the 26 gal. tank.
26 gal x 11 mpg (conservative) = 288 miles.
At 250 miles I'm ready to get up, stretch, and see if the pup might like to do the same. If you plan a long 600 mile day, that's two gas stops.
That's the truth.

Our family has found that bladder capacity is less than fuel tank capacity.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
In our first year of full timing we almost got caught running low of fuel and not being able to find a station we could fit into without unhitching. From then on we began looking for stations when the tank was half empty.

I also now carry a small jerry can in the back of the truck - no worries about carrying fuel as it's empty. It's much easier to fill up the jerry can at the pump a few times to get me further down the road than it is to unhitch and re-hitch
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
After getting down to a 75 mile range on Interstate 10 West of Houston because gas stations are scarce I started carrying two Sceptor military gas cans full of marine grade gasoline and conditioned with Stabil. Haven’t had to use them but it is comforting knowing I have a hundred mile cushion in the truck bed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	312595
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
I watch for Pilot or Flying J stations. which are usually fairly easy for gas. Some have special pumps for rv's which have both gas and diesel available. A plus feature for these stations is that with a good Sams Pilot discount card you save 5 cents a gallon. Moosetags is correct, in a pinch unhook and hook up when done. Also my Ram has the 32 gal tank which helps a lot.
Discount is $.08 on diesel.

My truck has a 36 gallon OEM tank. That translates to at least 450 miles of range. We, retired people, target 300 miles a day. Just put the trailer in the camp ground and go to the store without a tow.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Sonoma , California
which allstays app did you get? Googled and there are a lot of them.
Thanks,
Paula
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
IF I WERE HIM......RECOMMEND DRIVING LESSONS
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Having a diesel TV makes refueling easy, I just stop at truck stops, if the auto area is tight or full I simply pull into the semi-truck lanes with no tight spots anywhere. This is a huge benefit if you ever decide to replace your TV.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I suppose it just comes down to having to carry spare gas tanks, and do a better job of planning.

We will be on the road soon for a few months, so I will take two 5 gallon gas tanks and maybe a 2.5 gal tank (really for my gas generator, I prefer to only run it on non ethanol gas, which is hard to find, and would only be used in the truck as a back up to my 5 gal back up gas cans). We do a lot of spur of the moment destinations so many times we tow on unimproved roads, sometimes in 4 wheel drive, which just sucks down the gas.

Down the road I may buy another truck and will pay more attention to its payload capacity and fuel tank size, although I bought this Tundra with the hope that it might be my last pickup.

I do use the Allstays Camp & RV app, as well as Google maps, and The Next Exit Guide, and other maps.

I keep forgetting that western towns are a bit different than eastern towns. For instance, last camping season we came to a fairly large town, Cheyanne,
WY, I think it was (but maybe not). I like to drive through a town then get gas as we are leaving on the far side, if at all possible. Well, in this instance the road forked and there were no gas stations on the fork we were on. A sign said next gas in 24 miles, so no problem, I figured I have 30, maybe 35 miles of gas left ( I know, I know, I should have turned around and got gas in the town we just left). We get to the gas station and it is out of business, next gas in 50 miles. Stopped and put in the spare gas. Made it to the next gas station, but was on the empty mark for way too long.

I do have AAA travel insurance, but have yet to need them to bring gas.

I will file away the notion of unhitching the trailer then driving to a gas station. I hesitate to drop it alongside the road or in a parking lot, but I suppose if it has to be done so be it. I do carry a hitch lock. However, I can just see it now, there I am pumping gas and notice some guy driving by towing a trailer that looks just like mine.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #34
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- I figured I have 30, maybe 35 miles of gas left ( I know, I know, I should have turned around and got gas in the town we just left). We get to the gas station and it is out of business, next gas in 50 miles. Stopped and put in the spare gas. Made it to the next gas station, but was on the empty mark for way too long. -- snip --

We used to own a car that ran out of gas before the gauge hit empty. After running out of gas several times, we learned to fill before the gauge read 1/4 tank. Troublesome, but the car was paid for and no spare money to fix or replace the sending unit.

We like to purchase Shell gas to dodge the ethanol. Not every town has a Shell station. So getting gas when it's available is a good plan and works better than trusting to find it with an empty tank. We also found one station in the East that only had regular. We ran on it, but got horrible milage and topped off at the next opportunity.

We pulled into an isolated store that had a single set of pumps and was busy with lots of customers. The entry and exit access was not bad, but the protocol for pump use was opposite to our fuel fill orientation. It took a very long time to get up to a pump without blocking in other folks.

The keys are patience, planning, and flexibility. Note, no gas cans required. Travel safe. Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Plan ahead! We try to save money where we can (a nickel from Good Sam; up to a dollar off for Kroger affiliates), but anything will do in a pinch.

When we had the trailer, we unhooked after every day's trip and filled the truck, no matter how much or little it required. With the moho, things are a good deal more complicated, we're finding.

Lynn
Old 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If WAY OUT is not obvious and easy... I have learned to ignore the WAY IN.

One 23 point backup, turn, pull forward, repeat... should be enough, but I promised God I would never do it again about 5 times before I started living the resolution.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
Having a diesel TV makes refueling easy, I just stop at truck stops, if the auto area is tight or full I simply pull into the semi-truck lanes with no tight spots anywhere. This is a huge benefit if you ever decide to replace your TV.
Ditto on the Diesel, some places like Pilot, TA, Loves etc. you might have to go in and give them the card but that is a very small inconvenience for the ease of pulling through..
I however much prefer the independent small truck stops that I have discovered last year using the Allstays Ap. Their prices are much lower even considering the silly rebate the Pilots of the word offer and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. Pilot prices are on the average 20 to 30 cents higher so they poke your eyes out with a nickel rebate and most of those places are like a circus. Especially when they have a McDonalds.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also have a diesel however it originally came with a 28 gallon tank. The solution for me was to replace the tank with a 55 gallon tank. so I now i am no longer a slave o the gas pumps.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I researched on the internet and found a couple of companies that manufacture replacement gas tanks. That is the old tank is taken out and replaced by a larger capacity tank. But the increase is only about 10 to 15 gallons, Does not seem worth the price.

I had a truck some years ago that hand a manually activated auxiliary tank, but it did not always work and it was hard to judge how full it was.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #40
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Get a smaller camper?
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote