Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
What I Love About My Airstream

Please share what you love about your AS! **This is not meant to be antagonistic towards the "what Airstream is not getting right" threads because there is absolutely a need for that too. This is just a place to join together in what makes us happy.

For me, a new-ish owner who has only done small local trips and down by the pond getaways, I love that I have this beautiful "house on my back." I'm not tied to any piece of real estate so I can explore and I have seen places in my home state that I would not have if I didn't have my beautiful Bramble.

I also love my RB. The other night when I was down at the pond, my neighbor was setting off fireworks and I had a great view of them from my RB window while I was about to nod off! It feels like a cozy haven which is very welcome when you need to get away from the world a bit!

I want to thank Rich Luhr for his knowledge and experience. He even emailed me back about a dumb question I had.

And lastly, for now, thanks to this community which has given me so much help and encouragement, a few laughs, and much inspiration. I am amazed at the trips you all have taken, the DIY fixes and modifications, ingenious solutions, the makeovers...it's all incredible! Thank you!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Love the way it looks of course! The design is timeless and has always appealed to us, and we get so many positive comments about it. Airstream is without doubt an American icon. Love doing small cosmetic and functional upgrades to suit us. For our particular model (20 FC/FB Bambi), love the Galley which is arguably more usable and larger than many longer models. Would never consider SOB. As a side note, our "storage neighbor" just sold his Class A and bought a brand new 33'? Classic Airstream-beautiful.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You folks are loving people. I can truly say that the only thing I love about my Airstream is/are the Airstream friends we have made in the club and elsewhere as we have camped in our Airstream. Some great people and friendships.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
It is our home from home.

When we are out in our Airstream we have all the same creature comforts as our house, but the views are even better.

My favorite design feature are the front and back pano windows. no other trailer has those wrap around views...
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
We love our 2016 27’ International Serenity! Started later in life than many of you, but making up for lost time... now 3+ months into one-year adventure traveling across the country. Love coming back to the “CTYII” (Close to You 2) each day and love the way it tows! Nearly all the sob owners we’ve seen to wish they’d gotten an AS! Makes us proud! Oh, and the community is the best part, for sure.
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
We like many things about our Airstream. Love the iconic shape and the aluminum skin inside & out. The shiny aluminum walls inside feels like a futuristic space capsule. The wrap around windows in front are a wonderful feature. My wife really likes the slide out pantry beside the cook top. We both really like the separated bathroom with shower across the hall.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
1976 Sovereign 31 (#1784)

1976 31' Sovereign
Poulsbo , Washington
Full-time Freedom

Hello All

My wife and I are full-timers living our 1976 Sovereign 31. We renovated it over 3 years. The goal was to make it ours with everything we wanted for full-time living and travel. We like waking up in our own bed every morning wherever we are at that moment. Have a washer/dryer on board that keeps us out of laundry rooms. Having a clean bathroom when we travel is also nice. The best thing about our Airstream is it just fun, it constantly gives us things to fix or improve because it goes down the road and has for many years. It keeps us busy and healthy. What’s better than that!

Geoff and Rita Dean
Full-Timers in Newton the Airstream (#1784)
geoffdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We love 'Blue Streak' our 2004 International 25 CCD CR ... love the layout
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Four years into our retirement we decided to get back into camping after a career working overseas and many domestic moves. From 1965 to 1976 we went from tents, VW camper van and a Winnebago and we had no doubt our re-entry was going to be with an Airstream. Started with a one year old 2014 International Serenity 25', but after two seasons decided the East/West bed and lack of comfortable seating was not going to work so traded for a two year old 2015 Classic 30' twin beds. Love everything about it into our third year of camping with it. No major problems, well designed with quality fittings. I did change the converter/charger to a four stage, installed latches on some of the cabinets and drawers that were prone to opening on rough roads, etc.

I thank this forum's members for all of the shared information, it has been immensely helpful to me in having the knowledge to maintain and fully enjoy these beautiful trailers.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
NWR - sorry if I got initials wrong but could you send photos of your latches you installed to keep doors closed. The duct tape solution is getting old
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
What I like best about mine, 2017 Classic, is I can travel anywhere and not have to worry about bedbugs ( which are much more prevalent than most people know, even in the 5 star resorts). My bathroom is always clean. I eat what I want when I want it without having to check to see when the restaurant opens. I don’t have to pack, lug around suitcases, unpacked over and over. I can have my morning coffee in my PJS with my dogs right beside me. I have traveled approximately 15,000 miles in 2.5 years that I wouldn’t have done if I didn’t have it but my favorite thing is I can take my fur-kids with me which saved tons of money on boarding and I wouldn’t have been gone for months or more at a time in the first place without them. The million places to go and experience that you would miss completely by just flying into and out of. Airstream’s always seem to attract a crowd or even just a “nice rig” comment from fellow travelers which often leads to a nice conversation that other brands don’t offer. She’s both iconic and and cutting edge, simple to maintain and will probably last longer than I will.
The more I learn, the more miles I travel, the more confident I get, the more I love it. Yes, there will come a time when I can no longer do this but I will always have the memories of the places I got to see in person because I owned an Airstream.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Have you ever owned a vehicle that, after locking the door and starting to walk away, you turn around and look over your shoulder just to admire the way it looks? That's the way it is with an Airstream for me and that's what I love most about it. Sure, it tows well and has the features and amenities that make for a nice travel experience but it's the design and style that really appeal to me. Owning an Airstream, as with any RV, no doubt has it's challenges. But it's that glance over my shoulder that makes me sure, every time, that I chose the right trailer.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
That it's finally paid for!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #14

2017 27' International
Bend , Oregon
I never realized how many of us there are with AS in Bend, OR. Seems so seldom we see them out there when driving around town. Like everyone else, we have had issues with our, bought new, 2017 27' International Serenity AS, but when inside, feel like royalty. We, too, love the front and back wrap around windows....spectacular! This is my first post on this forum, but have enjoyed posts of others and already learned a lot! Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
It is our home from home.

When we are out in our Airstream we have all the same creature comforts as our house, but the views are even better.

My favorite design feature are the front and back pano windows. no other trailer has those wrap around views...
therighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
We have a 2018 International Signature 23C ("cozy bed").

I only have two Airstream regrets:
1) That I didn't buy one sooner, and;
2) That I didn't get the next size up.

Other than that, I LOVE my Airstream.

Favorite things:
- Sleeping in my own bed while travelling
- Pulling over en route for a picnic lunch
- Always being warm (or cool) and dry (we were previously tent campers)
- The solid feel and ease of towing

I know there are a lot of folks on here that find things to complain about (mostly legitimate, I'm sure), but that is the nature of life. Happy people seem less likely to broadcast their happiness than their unhappy counterparts - think of your own workplace or extended family and I think you'll agree.
Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Have you ever owned a vehicle that, after locking the door and starting to walk away, you turn around and look over your shoulder just to admire the way it looks?
That just about explains a whole lot about why people buy Airstreams.

I'm not an industrial designer but this has to be a case study in design.

There have been other great designs (for example the Ford Mustang in it's day, or the VW beetle) but they don't always age well, and they certainly don't age as well as the design of an Airstream (now, if they could just get the subfloor and frame to age as gracefully, that would be nirvana).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Have you ever owned a vehicle that, after locking the door and starting to walk away, you turn around and look over your shoulder just to admire the way it looks? That's the way it is with an Airstream for me and that's what I love most about it. Sure, it tows well and has the features and amenities that make for a nice travel experience but it's the design and style that really appeal to me. Owning an Airstream, as with any RV, no doubt has it's challenges. But it's that glance over my shoulder that makes me sure, every time, that I chose the right trailer.

This, it’s way I look at one of my cars as well. You just know it’s special.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Not NWRVR, but saw your comment on latches. This was my fix with the FC interior, brushed nickel window sash lock, $4 ay Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C553C5B-5C10-402C-9362-44B8470AAA29.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	351306  
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Well, because it is an Airstream! Beyond that though, mostly because of the AS community (both online and face-to-face), and how it has opened up what we can see and do in this great country.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Love the fact that I purchased before the new Cdn. retail price sky-rocketed.

Would I buy new today?

No.