Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
airstream lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
My dealer told me that the average time of ownership for a SOB trailer in Canada is between four and five years, compared to 15+ years for Airstreams.

That's not intended to be a value judgement, just an observation.
Could be like alot of people are with autos. They trade every 4 or 5 years because newer, bigger, better features and they have had a few years of service out of their camper. Most people can afford to trade every few years when they are spending 20 to 30 thousand. I would bet that many have bought airstreams and paid the price for them and it will take them 15 yrs to pay it off. Cool factor is not important enough for a lot of people to go over their heads to buy something they can't afford and then be stuck with payment for years and still have to fix leaks and problems like every other brand. Reality is that most of your systems used in the airstream are exactly the same as every other brand out there. Dometic, coleman, surburban, penguin, you name it it is used in SOB too.YOU CAN OWN ONE JUST DON'T BRAG ABOUT OWNING ONE let the shine do the talking.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
After a couple SOBs, I had an Airstream 190 van for 13 years, but that didn't really infect me. My son decided he needed an Airstream trailer (due strictly to the "Cool" factor) to live in through school and the math did work out, so we got the 1977 29 footer. He graduated and we got the trailer back. Then we got infected. We lived in the trailer for over 4 months in 2012 and four months again this year. My wife has never been able to stay away from home that long, but in the Airstream, she loves it.

We went to the big RV show here in Austin and walked through dozens of trailers. None of them did anything for us except the Airstreams. The ratio of time I was spending on the 1977 VS in the 1977 was turning against me and I think that gets worse rather than better. I think the life span of a new Airstream about matches what I have left in me, so - I got one. We leave for our first Rally Thursday.

I do understand brand Hype. I ride BMW motorcycles and not Harleys. I understand vintage. My BMWs are 1975 and 1979 models. I understand that new motorcycles of any kind are better than old ones. I am hoping, but doubting thats true for the Airstreams. But it sure is pretty and shiny now.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The lifestyle or experience is about the same with my airstream as with my sob-
There is less maintenance and upkeep with the new trailer and its cool factor is off the chart.
Forest River does have an owner's group, but I didn't bother. It just isn't the same.
My shiny silver trailer is prettier.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Funny that you would mention the Forest River forum site. I was doing some research on torsion axles, and that's where I found the most useful information on the subject.
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I really think this term stems back to WBCCI and its rally and caravan concept. You think about it, the organization is closed to members only (except for buddy rallys). They have business meetings at most rally's and for the most case highly regimented. All of that speaks a pretty unique lifestyle concept to me.

Contrast that to the Forum and our get togethers, we echo the way many SOB trailer groups operate. I had my sister come to a Moraine View Forums Rally with her A Liner trailer. She told me that we pretty much duplicate how their A Liner group runs their rallies.

Airstream lifestyle to me connotes to WBCCI and its practices.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
This is interesting. I did not even want to camp until my husband showed me our first Airstream. It was kind of old and beat up, but it made me smile and I said I could consider camping in it. We are now on number 3. I really like it. It has issues and I get angry about how much it cost and why does it have issues. I have met Airstreamers who have been awesome and friendly and there have been some who are total snobs. (Much like most of the population),
The thing is, an Airstream is an Airstream. People recognize them and like them.
Our last camping trip I spent most of one morning letting people go in and look at ours. People were stopping and wanting to peek in windows and I told them to go ahead and open the door and go in. One woman told her friends it was the high light of her trip. She finally got to see the inside of an Airstream. I told her she was easily amused. I was told there was another Airstream at the campground but they were never out and wouldn't talk to people. Maybe it is a cult. I don't know, but I am hooked. I think it was Bruce from Texas who said there were two kinds of campers: Ass' and sobs. Airstream owners and some other brand. Maybe it is true.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
This is interesting. I did not even want to camp until my husband showed me our first Airstream. It was kind of old and beat up, but it made me smile and I said I could consider camping in it. We are now on number 3. I really like it. It has issues and I get angry about how much it cost and why does it have issues. I have met Airstreamers who have been awesome and friendly and there have been some who are total snobs. (Much like most of the population),
The thing is, an Airstream is an Airstream. People recognize them and like them.
Our last camping trip I spent most of one morning letting people go in and look at ours. People were stopping and wanting to peek in windows and I told them to go ahead and open the door and go in. One woman told her friends it was the high light of her trip. She finally got to see the inside of an Airstream. I told her she was easily amused. I was told there was another Airstream at the campground but they were never out and wouldn't talk to people. Maybe it is a cult. I don't know, but I am hooked. I think it was Bruce from Texas who said there were two kinds of campers: Ass' and sobs. Airstream owners and some other brand. Maybe it is true.
Then their are SOB's that want to be ASS'.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I really think this term stems back to WBCCI and its rally and caravan concept. You think about it, the organization is closed to members only (except for buddy rallys). They have business meetings at most rally's and for the most case highly regimented. All of that speaks a pretty unique lifestyle concept to me.

Jack
I do know you said "most"!

Please know that basically anyone is welcome to come see what the WBCCI NOVA unit is about! I think the last time "business" was discussed at a rally, it consisted of "Your the President, go get the cooler...."

And I suspect the more successful are being run similar to this.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
"I think it was Bruce from Texas who said there were two kinds of campers: Ass' and sobs. Airstream owners and some other brand. Maybe it is true. "

Did I say that??? I surely don't remember. But I do think Airstreamers have a lot more fun. You wil generally always see Airstream strangers walk up to each other and in 15 minutes become friends.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Could be like alot of people are with autos. They trade every 4 or 5 years because newer, bigger, better features and they have had a few years of service out of their camper. Most people can afford to trade every few years when they are spending 20 to 30 thousand. I would bet that many have bought airstreams and paid the price for them and it will take them 15 yrs to pay it off. Cool factor is not important enough for a lot of people to go over their heads to buy something they can't afford and then be stuck with payment for years and still have to fix leaks and problems like every other brand.

According to him the main reason was that the majority of SOB owners who sold their units had lost interest in camping and moved on to different leisure activities.

Which makes you wonder if either AS users enjoy camping more or if AS trailers make for a more enjoyable camping experience.

The reason we got an AS is because we liked it, not because we want other people to like it.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #31

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I do know you said "most"! Please know that basically anyone is welcome to come see what the WBCCI NOVA unit is about! I think the last time "business" was discussed at a rally, it consisted of "Your the President, go get the cooler...." And I suspect the more successful are being run similar to this.
I was careful to say most because there are some relaxed units out there. I speak of my experience as having been a member for 4 years of a local unit and truly understanding that the organization was not going to change until most of the old guard had passed on. Those folks did consider it a lifestyle or as some termed it "the Airstream Way".

Glad to hear you are doing well.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The reason we got an AS is because we liked it, not because we want other people to like it.
Me too.

I have been fascinated with two rolling objects in my lifetime - 60's Porsches and Airstreams. Cool is in the eye of the beholder but I just really liked them. I was able to mess around with the Porsches for many years before they got so expensive. I'm moving on from those and now it's time to scratch the Airstream itch.

I know this has been beaten to death, but Airstreams truly are an American icon: their long colorful history; their beautiful aluminum aircraft style construction; and their legacy, the Wally passion and sincerity that still resonates today.

I'm new to Wally World, but I've participated in, and even started, many other forums over the years. My sole exposure to the Airstream community has been this forum so far, but I am impressed by a number of things: the unbelievable level of DIY and true craftsmanship shown by many here (very intimidating); the willingness to share and to help; the sense of community.

Owning an Airstream is an experience in and of itself. And it leads to countless other experiences. I'm pretty thrilled to be embarking on this journey.

Poppy
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
"I think it was Bruce from Texas who said there were two kinds of campers: Ass' and sobs. Airstream owners and some other brand. Maybe it is true. "

Did I say that??? I surely don't remember. But I do think Airstreamers have a lot more fun. You wil generally always see Airstream strangers walk up to each other and in 15 minutes become friends.
Sorry if I got it wrong. I did get the saying wrong. It is ASS' ( Airstream snobs) and SOBs ( some other brand). Too many things on my mind at the moment.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
What's NOT to love about all the quirks of an Airstream! And, I'd say AS owners are probably just a little more creative, think outside of the box type people who take pride in and enjoy what they've got (because they know it is special!).
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
If an Airstreamer get cut, he bleeds silver.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomdial View Post
Funny that you would mention the Forest River forum site. I was doing some research on torsion axles, and that's where I found the most useful information on the subject.
i
It is odd that F.R.O.G. would have anything about torsion axles- my Forest River trailer had leaf springs-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Yes, as do most trailers. They were actually adding torsion axles to their existing trailers.
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Just my two cents worth....I don't think it's just the Airstream lifestyle. I say that because, if it were, we vintage kin owners wouldn't be welcome.

It's about a mindset, rounded as opposed to square edges (regardless of make or model), an ideal, a fantasy about a way of life that may (or may not) ever have really existed.

It's about creative expression (that a SOB just never quite showed the potential for...).

It can be about spending outrageous amounts of money, but doesn't have to be. It can be about polishing aluminum and never leaving the driveway or accepting the "not quite finished look" of ongoing repairs and hitting the road.

But, that silver (anodized or shiny) does roll! And, that I think, is the big advantage to these beauties. They are still capable of making our hearts beat fast and getting us on the road. No SOB ever so moved me.

Just my thoughts....

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #39

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
i
It is odd that F.R.O.G. would have anything about torsion axles- my Forest River trailer had leaf springs-
An interesting tidbit is that Hi-Lo trailers (most models) used the same torsion axle as Airstream. I owned an 82 Hi-Lo and it was equipped with the torsion axle. In 2001 we were at the Terra Port in Jackson Center when a Hi-Lo pulled in. The owner had an appointment at the service center for an axle alignment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have some camping friends with a Hi-Lo. I didn't realize they had torsion axles. I have seen cargo trailers with torsion axles. I think torsion axles allow the floor of the trailer to be lower- better handling, lower center of gravity, less top heavy, easier entry/exit-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955