Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

2018 27' International
Boulder , Colorado
WeBoost RV65

Has anybody installed the WeBoost RV65 in airstream. Figuring out mounting and running wire. This is only used once you set up since it has a telescoping pole. Any help appreciated.
dslat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
WeBoost RV65

Hello,
I have a 2016 Classic. I put the amp and antenna in the overhead compartment and ran the coaxed out to the refrigerator compartment. I used the flat window coaxed piece to exit the refer compartment. I purchased 2 suction cup mounts to attach the pole.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

2018 27' International
Boulder , Colorado
It’s working ok having the amp and antenna close together? They say they should be spaced out. Love the suctions cup idea. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We have the RV65 and a 25FB trailer. We connect the outside antenna cable to the "satellite" connection on the trailer. The other end of that comes out in the overhead cabinet at the back of the trailer (where the blue-ray player is). We put the amplifier there. We put the inside antenna on the wall next to the fridge, near the middle of the trailer. The cable between the amplifier and inside antenna runs under the end cabinet and across the window blind supports. It is visible but we don't mind. We leave it in place even when not using the RV65.

For the outside antenna, we have only used the big pole at a long-term site where we had a handy sign post at the corner of the site. We lashed the pole to the post. For shorter stays, we use a painter's pole, and lash it to the awning arms (with the awning closed). That means we can't use the awning unless we move the pole.

One other point. The RV65 kit comes with two power supplies for the amplifier. We used the 120 volt one first, but did not like how hot it ran. So we hooked up the 12 volt one. That turned out to cause some interference when listening to weak FM broadcast radio stations on the trailer radio.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslat54 View Post
It’s working ok having the amp and antenna close together? They say they should be spaced out. Love the suctions cup idea. Thank you.
It is not the amp and the indoor antenna that cause an issue. It’s the outdoor antenna being to close to the indoor antenna.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
We have a 2020 FC 30 RBQ and are trying to install the WeBoost RV65. The system works if we run the cable from the external antenna into the trailer via the front door (using the flat cable supplied with the unit—we could also do this via the rear storage compartment under the bed). But we want to use the external satellite port instead. We found coax cables in the rats' nest of wires behind the Blue Ray player. There's a gray cable that was connected to a black one. We disconnected these and then tried connecting the booster to each of these but neither one worked. Anyone have any ideas about this?
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
My 2013 had only one coax near the Blue Ray player, and that coax worked for the booster.

In you case, I would check continuity between the outside sat connector and each of the inside coax ends. That would mean running another piece of wire/cable out the door and around to the sat connector. ALso check each inside coax for being open/shorted from shield to center. Assuming they are open, short shield to center at the outside sat connector. That would tell you which coax (if any) is connected to the outside sat connector.

In addition, you could unscrew the outside sat connector housing and see if the coax is properly connected at that end.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #8

2018 27' International
Boulder , Colorado
WeBoost RV65

Since my dinette is in the rear, I drilled through the bottom(under the seat/storage) into the rear bumper. drilled under where wires are going for rear lights. This way, I secure my telescoping pole to the rear bumper to hoist the directional antenna. By the way I use a painting pole rather than the one provided its a lot easier and lighter to use. The booster and wall mount antenna are all mounted under my couch/dinette seating. So everything is hidden. I mount a U-bolt set up for securing the painter pole to my bumper. I can send pictures if you need them.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Pics Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslat54 View Post
Since my dinette is in the rear, I drilled through the bottom(under the seat/storage) into the rear bumper. drilled under where wires are going for rear lights. This way, I secure my telescoping pole to the rear bumper to hoist the directional antenna. By the way I use a painting pole rather than the one provided its a lot easier and lighter to use. The booster and wall mount antenna are all mounted under my couch/dinette seating. So everything is hidden. I mount a U-bolt set up for securing the painter pole to my bumper. I can send pictures if you need them.
Please add photos....thks Larry
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Depending on the location of your outside satellite/cable connect the connector has room to add an additional F connector the black plastic mounting piece that has the two current connectors. I actually added two connectors, one for the RV65 and the other for a HughesNet satellite modem. Then run the interior cable to the RV65 and back side of the outside connector. On my Classic 33 I mounted the RV65 along the wall on the roadside of the interior wall.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
RV65 installation

Since my earlier post, we've managed to install the WeBoost RV65. It works as advertised and can be installed easily and neatly. Here's what we did.

We have a 2020 FC 30 RBQ. I ran the coax cable from the outside antenna to the satellite coax port (next to the cable tv port) on the streetside exterior of the trailer. I found the other end of the cable in the rats' nest of cables and wires in the compartment beside the box that houses the blue ray player in the right side upper cabinet at the front of the trailer. It took a lot of fishing around to find the cable there, but I finally did. It's labeled 'satellite.' (A friend of mine who's an electrician has a device that verified that this was the same line as the port on the outside. This isn't really necessary because, if you find it, it should be labeled.) This cable attaches to the booster unit inside the trailer. The big advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to drill into the trailer or run the flat cable through the edge of the trailer's door.

After finding the cable and attaching it to the booster, I reinstalled the blue ray box and mounted the booster on top of the box with Velcro. There's a 120 outlet right there, so that's the power supply to the booster. I mounted the inside antenna in the left side cabinet at the front of the trailer. I put it there rather than in the same cabinet as the booster because the instructions say they need to be at least 18 inches apart. I mounted the antenna on the partition wall between the two cabinets and connected it to the booster with a short coax cable. Rather than drilling through the partition wall, I just ran the cable around the front of it. In our trailer the cabinet doors are curved, so the cable fits fine without having to leave the doors partially open. Everything is neat and out of sight.

We erected the pole with the outside antenna by attaching it with bungees to an existing clothesline pole at the campsite and using heavy tent stakes to attach the base firmly to the ground. We only extended it about 15 feet or so. It did fine in some pretty heavy wind, though the pole did tend to pivot somewhat, requiring re-aiming of the antenna. I used an iPhone app called FindTower to aim the antenna.

It works! My Verizon iPhone and iPad went to from three to four bars. My wife's AT&T iPhone went from one to three bars. Using a wi-fi hotspot on the iPad and a Google Chromecast device, we were able to stream YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime to the trailer's front tv.

One last thing: Mounting the antenna pole to the outside of the trailer is trickier that it would be with a boxy RV because the Airstream shell is curved vertically. We called the manufacturer about this. The person said we could probably get away with using only one of the two supplied brackets. We haven't tried this yet, but when we do, we'll also attach the base to the ground with the tent stakes and lash the pole to the trailer's bumper with a bungee. Otherwise, it's easier to attach the pole to an existing pole. This may be necessary anyway because you're supposed have 30 feet between the outside and inside antennas.

Sorry about the length of this post. Hope this helps!

David M.
2020 FC 30 RBQ, 2020 Ford F-150, ProPride
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote