Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
We are glad that we have started doing this now.

My wife and I have been Airstream owners for 3 months, and we are learning a lot.

When we first visited a dealer (we were just curious; not serious), I remember telling them that it would be a fun way to travel after we retire (17 years away) and that it's not really practical for us right now because we can't really take weeks off from work.

Then they told me, "You know, a lot of people tell us that they regret that they didn't start when they were younger."

At the time, I thought to myself, "Boy, he is a good salesman," but now that we are learning this by actually doing, I think he had a really good point.

We had never owned an RV or towed anything ever in our lives before getting our FC23D. But we believed that we are still young enough that we could learn, which has turned out to be true.

But if we wait until we retire, say the age 67, I honestly don't think we would be able to handle learning this many new things or enjoy the experience.

So yes, we are glad that we are doing this now even though we can't just take off on a month long journey as we are still working full time.

For now, we are content with short trips on a long weekend (and maybe a week long trip per year). Hopefully by our retirement, we will have a couple of decades of experience under our belt and enjoy this life style more.
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
All I can add to your comment is that we wish we would have started traveling with our AS sooner. But it was always something else that seemed more important at the time. However, as someone once said, the only thing that is really in limited supply is time! So I'm glad to hear you are starting on your journey now!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome to the club! We bought 5 years ago - first ever trailer - and immediately thought, why didn't we do this the day we got married???

Still working - can't go months at a time - but long weekends and our annual 2-week celebration of ourselves is plenty for now!

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
yukon , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
My wife and I have been Airstream owners for 3 months, and we are learning a lot.

When we first visited a dealer (we were just curious; not serious), I remember telling them that it would be a fun way to travel after we retire (17 years away) and that it's not really practical for us right now because we can't really take weeks off from work.

Then they told me, "You know, a lot of people tell us that they regret that they didn't start when they were younger."

At the time, I thought to myself, "Boy, he is a good salesman," but now that we are learning this by actually doing, I think he had a really good point.

We had never owned an RV or towed anything ever in our lives before getting our FC23D. But we believed that we are still young enough that we could learn, which has turned out to be true.

But if we wait until we retire, say the age 67, I honestly don't think we would be able to handle learning this many new things or enjoy the experience.

So yes, we are glad that we are doing this now even though we can't just take off on a month long journey as we are still working full time.

For now, we are content with short trips on a long weekend (and maybe a week long trip per year). Hopefully by our retirement, we will have a couple of decades of experience under our belt and enjoy this life style more.
Glad you are able to start enjoying your Airstream now. However dont
count us "old folks" out of enjoying an Airstream... LOL . my wife and I are in our early 70's and getting ready to take delivery of our first AS next week. You are true, lots to learn, but so much more to experience and enjoy.

Many happy miles and years of enjoyment ahead for you and hopefully us...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Airstreaming is an excellent retirement hobby. I bought my Airstream 3 years before I retired (purchased December 23rd 2011, retired January 2nd, 2015).

In the later half of my Federal civil service career, I got 10 Federal holidays plus 208 hours (26 days) of annual leave each year. By carefully analyzing my schedule, I realized that by taking 4 days off in any given holiday week, I could get a 9-day vacation for the price of 4 days of leave (a week off plus the weekends before and after). Do that 5 times a year, and that's 20 days of leave to get five 9-day vacations. Then for the other 5 Federal holidays, if the holiday was on a Monday I'd take a day of leave the Friday before, to get a 4-day weekend. If the holiday was on a Friday, I'd take the Monday after. That took care of 5 more days of annual leave, and I'd have one day left in reserve to use at my discretion.

The weeks off those three years were always Christmas and New Years (with holidays in consecutive weeks, that made a 16-day vacation for the price of 8 days off, gotta love living where you can camp year-round), Independence Day (my birthday is July 5th), Memorial Day, and Columbus Day.

Nine camping trips each year, ranging in duration from 4 days to 16 days. Not bad for a working stiff! Whenever I would leave on a trip, I would tell my coworkers that I was headed to "retirement practice"! Which is kind of the point. You too can get in lots of retirement practice since you bought your Airstream so far in advance of actually retirning.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
We waited until our mid 30s to get an Airstream and wish we would have started earlier!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yes, this is a downer .... sorry about that ... When you retire may not be entirely up to you. Yes a target date is a good idea. Getting to that target date is up to you and up to your employer. In our case it came a little sooner (but not a lot) than we hand expected. No, we're not starving and we always planned against various "surprises". Get out and do what you want to do NOW. Don't wait for some miracle future. Life will do unexpected things !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
"Life is short and you can't take it with you". That's what I tell people who ask me why I have a Mustang, and Airstream. I see plenty of people every day who are disabled (I'm a nurse in nursing homes), and can't get out and "do" anymore. So I know, life throws a curve ball or 2 sometimes. I want to LIVE so I get out and do as much as I can whenever I can.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Bought mine at the ripe old age of 27, that was 17 years ago. Tent camping with three children came off my wife's to do list pretty quickly. My Argosy allowed me to carry the family to many destinations that we probably could not have afforded without it, at the very least it allowed for longer stays. The stories that we made and the experiences that we learned from are priceless. The fact that two of my three children expect to get my trailer when I'm gone tells me having bought it early was the right decision for me.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sitting here in a rather odd "sub set" of AS fun and games. An AS only "rv park" that leases sites out. You have an AS to roam the country. When you are not out roaming it's parked in a "destination". You now have both a trailer *and* a summer cottage. Next site over, mom just loaded kids into SUV (after day at beach) and headed off to who knows where ... It's a summer cottage ....

Bob
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
We're in the same boat (and likely at the same age you are, too). I went through cancer a number of years back, and it reminded us that life is too short; why put it off.

We're headed back to the dealer tomorrow to zero in on the floor plan we want (27FB or 28) and the bed arrangement (storage and length of twin beds, or the abbreviated closeness of an RV queen bed) before pulling the trigger.

I can't say how much we've appreciated the help and information (as well as the plethora of opinion) available here on the forum. We feel a lot more comfortable after only a month online.

Congrats on your purchase!
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Wish we had started sooner also. When people ask how we have the time to do so much camping while working full time, my wife tells them we are retired on the weekends.
A couple of more years to official retirement.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Congratulations! In the same boat here, decided to do it now before I get too old, my decision was precipitated by a sudden life change but I am so happy to be waiting for delivery of my FC25..

I wish you many fond memories friends

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I am 50 and once a year we take off for 3 weeks and travel the west with my family with the goal of my kids seeing all 50 states before they go to college.

I don't know about you guys, but the trips are a lot of work. There is a ton of planning and a lot to do on the road. At this point, I'm thinking when I retire that will be the end of long trips. Never really wanted to full time.

When we retire we may still take smaller trips and even fly and do the hotel thing.

But I just can't see doing all this work later, I mean the trailer is a constant project keeping everything going and fixing everything that breaks.

So I am here to say thank goodness I am doing it now. Its now or never for me. Maybe you too?

BTW, I spent many years setting p my career to work remotely and take a lot of time off. Its not impossible, you just have to make it work. Look at all the fulltimers out there still working...it is possible.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I am not retired yet but I would really like to get my Airstream soon. The biggest issue is no room for it on my property (garage) till I retire and sell off the work trucks. So if I buy now it will have to be kept in storage.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I am not retired yet but I would really like to get my Airstream soon. The biggest issue is no room for it on my property (garage) till I retire and sell off the work trucks. So if I buy now it will have to be kept in storage.
Hi

Around where I live, indoor storage is $100 a month and outdoor is $25 a month. Yes, it's a cost. Gas to haul the trailer around is a bigger cost ....

Bob
Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Protagonist - My husband and I currently do what you describe, working most of our trips around holidays so we get more "bang for our buck" in vacation time. I may never get to retire, so I am very happy we started Airstreaming 13 years ago. I love your "Retirement Practice" and am totally stealing that phrase!! Happy Trails!
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We traveled the country for years, living in our 3 person backpacking tent. Our son's first camping was at 6 weeks old in the Adirondacks NY with night temps in the low 30s. He always called our tent the green hotel. We enjoyed those years to the max and it never held us back from exploring the west - esp. the national parks. Finally, at age 60 my wife and I got "soft" and bought an AS. It was the way to go. 11 years later we are still loving the AS life and traveling over 10,000 miles per year average. My son, and now my grandson and I still enjoy actual backpacking. The main thing is... Carpe Diem.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
KathFred
Just a quick side note to compliment you on actually deciphering Protagonist's approach..i.e., Protagonist - My husband and I currently do what you describe-----. To wit...In the later half of my Federal civil service career, I got 10 Federal holidays plus 208 hours (26 days) of annual leave each year. By carefully analyzing my schedule, I realized that by taking 4 days off in any given holiday week, I could get a 9-day vacation for the price of 4 days of leave (a week off plus the weekends before and after). Do that 5 times a year, and that's 20 days of leave to get five 9-day vacations. Then for the other 5 Federal holidays, if the holiday was on a Monday I'd take a day of leave the Friday before, to get a 4-day weekend. If the holiday was on a Friday, I'd take the Monday after. That took care of 5 more days of annual leave, and I'd have one day left in reserve to use at my discretion.

In spite of this mental challenge (which he won, btw) I love his advice...you'll see he is one of the best. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Gpershall - congrats on your new rig, and you will really enjoy your TV. I have a 2016 Chevy High Country Duramax- what a vehicle! The AS you selected isn't bad, either!!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote