Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Washing dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Is it just me?

Why would anyone design an RV with a galley in it, then put a single-bowl sink in it? Especially when these vehicles are "premium". Lay out $100K+, then have to buy a $2 plastic mixing bowl to wash dishes? Makes no sense to me.

I would rather have two sinks and choose to not use them than to have one sink and wish I had another.

Ummmm,,, I plead guilty.

A single deeper sink made sense in my "design for space" thinking on how to build a nice RV kitchen, but not so great in actual use.

I would like to say that my original design was the smart move, but that ain't so... (Like several other of my ideas that didn't make the cut in actual use).

My next "re-refit" will consist of a redesigned galley cabinets with a double sink. This is my last major redo of some of my ideas that SEEMED good on paper, but not in practice.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #42
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is one place where Airstream could take a lesson from the boating/yachting industry. There are plenty of small-but-deep sinks made for sailboats that would be much more effective than what Airstream uses. Sailboat sinks have to be deep enough to hold a usable amount of water even when the boat is heeled over at a 20° angle.
I have zero experience with anything "marine" outside of fishing-boat-sized floaters, so your mention of marine sinks made me curious. A quick search came up with this:

http://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/kitchen-centre/

Now that seems like a good idea. One sink, but it transforms into two basins if you'd like.

Kudos to that designer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
A quick search came up with this:

http://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/kitchen-centre/

Now that seems like a good idea. One sink, but it transforms into two basins if you'd like.

Kudos to that designer.
I agree wholeheartedly! Two basins in one, plus a tray where you can set a drying rack, plus a rack for holding sponges and dish soap on the underside of the hinged glass lid, and it all stores inside the sink. Never mind my Airstream, I want one of these for my apartment kitchen! Not that my landlord would let me install one, though…
Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the single sink is to give some counter space in a very small galley kitchen.

We buy plastic bowls to wash in so as to conserve water use, and our small grey tanks.

One could use the sink, minus a dishpan of some sort, but water usage would differ as would one's ability to choose where the dishwater goes.

There is adequate cooking space in a small kitchen, if you just plan adequately. I have prepared hundreds of meals in mine, for years for a carnivore husband.

The small space is a choice, and some of us prefer it.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I actually love the single deep, round sink bowl-- it's big enough to rinse out my largest Dutch oven or the baking sheet/pan without splashing water all over the place. It's made me want a big farmhouse sink at home.

Thanks for the tip on the microfiber drying mat, SeaLevel-- I just ordered one. It will definitely come in handy when the dish washer is working at a faster pace than the dryer!
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
This drying rack has worked very well for us. It stores in the sink when not in use.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-CleanGen...und+drain+rack

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Don't know if I want to lose cupboard space, but everything I'm reading about the single drawer dishwashers used in some RV's, mention that unit ONLY uses 1.3 gallons of water for whole dishwashing cycle. Makes me wonder how many gallons I use just to wash and rinse same amount of dishes.....
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote