Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #161
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes, as the owner of a 2014 27FB International Signature I do agree it's helpful when existing owners provide feedback, based on genuine experience, of what they'd like to see in future Airstreams. I've provided my initial list.

That said, until last year about this time we'd not owned one. From that perspective I'd suggest that new potential buyers have equally legitimate input on what they want to see in an Airstream. Otherwise, where will new owners come from?

Oh, and here's another one: stop wasting all that valuable space just inside the left side of entry door on the 27FB Intl Signature, behind that ridiculous gigantic wedge-shaped seat cushion back. Turn it into a storage area like the one on the Classic. I mean, really, why are you wasting that incredibly useful space?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Depending on size and compared to current pricing I'm betting a custom AS with the upgrades people are desiring would start at 250K
And that should be an option, as long as the quality is there. Some people will be replacing houses that cost three times that when they retire and wish to go full time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
And that should be an option, as long as the quality is there. Some people will be replacing houses that cost three times that when they retire and wish to go full time.
And that is an option. You go to these people:
Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles
They will buy a new shell of the basic model you want and appoint it any way you wish if you can afford it. I guarantee the quality will be there.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
And that is an option. You go to these people:
Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles
They will buy a new shell of the basic model you want and appoint it any way you wish if you can afford it. I guarantee the quality will be there.

Ken
Can they get Eddie Bauer shells with the rear hatch?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #165
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Can they get Eddie Bauer shells with the rear hatch?
I'd call them and ask. I would assume so. Some of their projects are pretty amazing.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post

Next, teach new employees along with existing ones how to tighten fasteners with out striping threads. Seriously, a little training in this department would sure help. Too many stripped out fasteners throughout my trailer and I know many others have voiced the same situation with theirs.
Imagine how we felt with a new 2015 International Limited edition Eddie Bauer when we went to transfer our motorcycle from a 2013 EB and found that as soon as we slightly moved the D-ring tie downs in the 2015... they pulled out! The factory designed locations were missed by 3-5 inches in our installation!!!
This was right at the dealer's lot and all of the service guys had gone home for the day This was not the fault of our dealer (they have been great ... or factory support folks as they too have been great). Rather this is the fault of the one person who put in the D-ring anchors !!! The mothership sent us some "moly" fasteners; would you trust your expensive M/C to 5/16 expansion anchors ???

We really like our AS unit, but for heaven's sake - just where do they find these apes on the end of the air wrenches ???!! We are TERRIBLY dismayed / disappointed / frustrated / taken for a ride / discouraged (you get the idea) on the quality of this $92,000 unit !

Our dealer is over 600 miles away and it is not a quick and easy trip to just pop over to get something repaired that was clearly improperly torqued and CLEARLY evident to the ape that did the installation. We expect to have small issues with items that wear or vibrate into final position, but when something leaves the factory with the full knowledge of the install technician that it was improperly installed ... that more than takes the cake.

There is NO EXCUSE for this !!!

The concept is great ... the follow through is lacking. Our first FC20 was nearly problem free ... not so much for the last two ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Mefly2 - I get that you're upset and don't blame you - but twice referring to the employee as an ape might be tempting or even cathartic, but it's offensive and misses the point.

I took the tour when I was there for service this year. As a corporate training leader for many years, I was really interested in finding out what their training process was like. I was told it's essentially apprenticeship.

There are pros and cons to that (won't bore you with the dissertation on that) but at the end of the day - quality issues like this are rarely the result of bad people and almost always the result of bad process/ineffective systems (not IT systems, holistic systems of approach - starting with defined goals and including training, coaching, feedback and apprenticeship).

Airstream does a lot right. They could use a fresh look at their definition of their expected customer experience and their quality goals, under which they could more effectively align their design, engineering, manufacturing and sales systems (including training approach).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #168
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
EB model is not advertised with a mc in back, only kayaks etc? Still no reason for misinstallation.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
You know what, that Timeless Travel suggestion is actually an awesome idea. Grab a shell with ducted AC and have them build the trailer I want. Once I get my breath back after looking at their quote, it would seem a fantastic idea. Getting a perfect trailer right out of the chute - it doesn't get better than that. I'll seriously consider this idea if / when we decide it's time to move to a new TT after enjoying the one we have long enough.
Then, let us know how much that costs, please. Airstream could likely do it somewhat less expensively given the production line method of assembly and economy of scale, but I suspect the cost of that travel trailer would have most people running back to the dealer to give them a blank check.

I have a potential solution to the QA complaints: Hire me. My expertise is in quality assurance/quality control with a background in statistics.

My biggest suggested improvement: a three stage converter. They're so cheap now, even if it raises the price of the trailer some, no one is going to notice that difference, and it's going to save the owners money and headache over the long run.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post

I have a potential solution to the QA complaints: Hire me. My expertise is in quality assurance/quality control with a background in statistics.
You know - hiring experienced users of their products with expertise in these areas is a great idea!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #171
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
ideas

Remember the suggestion boxes of years ago??

Most suggestions were ignored, but every once in a while, a suggestion became huge.

It seems that in time, some people prefer to gripe, instead of trying to be positive.

Good things happen from positives, and brick walls are created for negatives.

Hamburgers, even though they do not contain any ham, still sell very well, mostly because of it's name and looks.

Hot dogs are not always hot, but that name sells very well too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Items on our unit were personally pointed out to the chap in charge of Quality Control followed up with email photos of the issues we had just talked about. Issues were NOT repaired before leaving the factory!

I guess we were lucky the wheels did not fall off while the trailer was being towed to Arizona from Ohio! Or as happened with a our Shulte 12' wide trailer in the late 60s., the frame split on the interstate with all our possessions in it. We were three months awaiting the trailer living in a motel room out of two suitcases.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Oh, and here's another one: stop wasting all that valuable space just inside the left side of entry door on the 27FB Intl Signature, behind that ridiculous gigantic wedge-shaped seat cushion back. Turn it into a storage area like the one on the Classic. I mean, really, why are you wasting that incredibly useful space?[/QUOTE]

I met someone at the SoCal Rally in Kern who took that cushion, replicated it in wood with a door, and then covered it with matching fabric turning it into addtl storage. Looked great just like the foam cushion but now had a useful purpose! held coffee pot etc.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #174
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Things I like to see on New Airstreams

Hey, LiLNomad, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Every cubic inch of storage space is precious. When I bought my TT, I didn't think of it, as this was our first trailer. Now I would insist on that mod in my order if the trailer doesn't automatically come that way.

I also like the look of the "circular" dinettes they put in at TTT, but some of the seats would have their back to the Pano windows. Decisions, decisions....

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Oh, and here's another one: stop wasting all that valuable space just inside the left side of entry door on the 27FB Intl Signature, behind that ridiculous gigantic wedge-shaped seat cushion back. Turn it into a storage area like the one on the Classic. I mean, really, why are you wasting that incredibly useful space?

You mean like this?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122172
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'd like to see:

1. Access panels to facilitate maintenance on the waste dump valves, tank monitor sensors (even SeeLevel may need service) and FW drain maintenance.
2. Ditto on a better FW drain valve.
3. I'd like to see an alternative to the dinette/side couch on the 23d, 25fb/B, 27FB. I don't find the dinette comfortable for watching TV in my 25fb. Maybe a couch with pop up foot rests and a side folding table like some of the older Safari floorplans but do this for the rear dinette plans too. Add some cabinets under the TVI don't need a dinette set up full time and when the table is down the lounge created is too odd of a shape to sit comfortably.
4. Reduce some weight.
5. Ducted air in the smaller floorplans mainly for AC noise abatement.
6. Double pane windows.
7. Exposed drawers in the kitchens for the models that only have cabinet doors with interior drawers.
8. Higher quality skylights and plumbing vents.
9. Better TV antenna than what they offer in the 2015 models
10. Built in XM antenna.
11. Ditto on a better converter.
12. Winterizing connection to pump antifreeze into the system.
13. Easily accessible water pump and water pump filter.
14. Better sound insulation of water pump.
15. Use Hepvo valves instead of P traps to save space under kitchen sinks.
16. Ditto a water proof subfloor.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #177
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Then, let us know how much that costs, please. Airstream could likely do it somewhat less expensively given the production line method of assembly and economy of scale, but I suspect the cost of that travel trailer would have most people running back to the dealer to give them a blank check.

My biggest suggested improvement: a three stage converter. They're so cheap now, even if it raises the price of the trailer some, no one is going to notice that difference, and it's going to save the owners money and headache over the long run.
If you are looking for a job, I believe your background in quality may be a detriment in today's market. This may sound cynical, because it is. However, my impression of many so called "quality" products I have purchased in recent years is that volume and profit per unit trumps actual quality nearly every time. Many US companies are coasting on long past records of high quality while making products well below their past standards using components sourced from sweatshops overseas. This has been going on for so long now, that I believe consumers (especially younger ones who were not here to observe previous "Made in USA" products) have expectations so low that they now accept this as the norm.

If this post was annoying to any or all, take solace in the fact that it made me feel better.

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #178
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You know - hiring experienced users of their products with expertise in these areas is a great idea!!

You know, that's a great idea! I'm not pushing for a job, but working on a multitude of RVs every year, I have seen just about every type of construction, layout and orientation.

I also have extensive experience in correcting the glaring installation mistakes of OEMs and upgrading many components for clients. This includes a good deal of electrical component and wiring upgrades, not to mention the high-end solar/battery/inverter systems that I install on a regular basis.

Airstream could benefit greatly from an 'outside' viewpoint from someone with a depth of real world experience of solutions that really work!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #179
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Airstream could benefit greatly from an 'outside' viewpoint from someone with a depth of real world experience of solutions that really work!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Lew,

None of this will ever happen, until it is shown that it would help the company's profit margin.

In my few years on these forums, I have read countless lengthy threads on Airstream production quality issues. They were all from owners. I have yet to see a single post from someone stating the they didn't buy an Airstream, because they observed low quality constructions practices when looking at them. Until a significant number of people stop buying Airstreams because of these issues, there is no incentive whatsoever to change. As near as I can tell they can't keep up with the sales as it is.

You have the advantage of seeing the inner workings of many RVs, I would be interested in hearing your opinion of which brands have the best quality construction.

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Mefly2 - I get that you're upset and don't blame you - but twice referring to the employee as an ape might be tempting or even cathartic, but it's offensive and misses the point.

Agreed that AS does a lot right.

OK, then, let me rephrase that verbage ...to gorilla ... as in some organism with much more brawn than brain with regard to proper installation techniques. The individuals that strip out the fasteners on these expensive purchases either physically have their hand tool or mechanically (electrical or air) operated tightening device / tools set for the wrong operating pressure / torque or have parts of their anatomy in a very dark place to not notice when their driver device either spins freely or has a significant change in pitch ... as the fastener tightens and then strips out. Certainly the installer him/herself is fully aware of that issue personally and yet they send the unit down the line (ostensibly unchecked by anyone else) for delivery to the ultimate purchaser.

Few folks want to purchase anything that was assembled as a "training" exercise. In our case - all of the anchor points has some issue that made then unsuitable for the designed function. Where is the quality control ... missing in our last two nearly 100K purchases. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Fortunately, AS has a dealer network that is mostly well trained and able to remedy many of the mistakes that leave the factory - either known or unknown to the employees that send the units down the road. I guess that is part of the expense of the purchase - to fund after delivery repairs under warranty.

Zig Zag - when you buy your own EB, then you can put whatever you want inside ... see the EB forum! You missed my point entirely; the D-ring anchors (6) pulled out with simple finger pressure by rotating them ...some were missing the retaining washers and yet others were stripped out of the wooden flooring. They missed the frame / outriggers that they were supposed to be fastened to. This was noticed right at the time of purchase as we were ready to depart - NO load was attached to the D-rings! Unfortunately, we had already spend a great deal of time camping (in our 2013 traded in) on the dealer's asphalt lot and needed to get down the road to regional. So a proper fix will be at some time in the future as we do not have faith in all of the more closely located dealers' abilities to property repair this issue. Employment and distance constraints factor in to just when we will have full functionality of our purchase. Both the selling dealer and the factory have been great on all of the other issue that have arisen ... and we DO LIKE our 2015 (65 days so far this year), but over time it seems to us that the quality control exercised by the factory has lessened in some units now coming off the line.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote