Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'm old, but but low on verbose...do 'dat count?
My verbose is draggin' these days too.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
It was started by a very eccentric, enthusiastic, erudite, engaging, and thoroughly engrossing fellow Stream'r.

Bob
Bob,

I think my wife has been hanging out with that guy, sometimes he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Thanks,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Well, what can I say? It's just like me practicing the backing up (with trailer) prior to the shakedown cruise.

The poor Airstream goes one way, then it goes the other way, and we're headed right for the fence/ditch/tree/side of the garage (take your pick).
Then I get fed up because we're going no where fast.

As the neighbour said, next time you're "practicing" backing up, can you let me know because I want to bring my lawn chair and a beer. Best entertainment around!

But, I know what to call these backing-up gigs. That's for sure. An exercise in futility. Now I've cancelled the back-in RV park for one with 100% drive-thru sites. So, I'm going.....but the thought of a back-in site is about as appealing as a root canal at this point in time.
Let me tell you how I solved this problem. (This is a factual story with the possible exception of the last sentence)
At first I backed up with my wife giving directions. The results were much as you described. Of course the problem was surely with how my wife gives directions. After discussing this heatedly, I agreed to give directions while she drove. Immediately, my superior directions allowed her to back in with very little input. I quickly discovered that the only function I needed to perform was to keep a eye out to be sure she didn't hit anything. Things have gone smoothly ever since. This apparently just proves that I am an excellent instructor.

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

I for one would not buy a new Airstream. The quality just isn't there, not the way it was just 20-25 years ago. I do not wish any bad will for Airstream however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday. Not only that but the quality control needs to be stepped up. A lot of the problems with the new units could be avoided with a little more care during manufacture and someone else checking the work closely. If Airstream is to survive they must once again build the quality product that made them last for generations otherwise they are just building silver boxes that resemble Airstreams.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #65
Buddy and Barbara

2013 30' Classic
Macclenny , Florida
I guess you could name this thread "To New or Not to New". It's all very interesting and, of course, we all have our opinion.

We love seeing Airstreams, old and new, traveling around. Our neighbors have a '67 Caravel that they restored and it is perfect. For them. Two years ago, we bought a 2004 30' Classic and it is perfect for us. It is very comfortable and meets all of our needs. We almost bought brand new and would today if money was not an object. For example, I would love to have a custom made Airstream with a front kitchen and free-standig dinette. That doesn't, however, decrease my affection for our Silver Peanut. It just means I'm human and am never fully satisfied.

I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent. Compare them to any other rv and I think you'll agree. It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.

When you find the Airstream for you, you'll know it. Happy camping!
Silver Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #66
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
I for one would not buy a new Airstream. The quality just isn't there, not the way it was just 20-25 years ago. I do not wish any bad will for Airstream however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday. Not only that but the quality control needs to be stepped up. A lot of the problems with the new units could be avoided with a little more care during manufacture and someone else checking the work closely. If Airstream is to survive they must once again build the quality product that made them last for generations otherwise they are just building silver boxes that resemble Airstreams.
Wow, No leaks or issues with yours?

My Airstream is a fake one? No quality behind it? Just a crappy shell?

"Jealousy rears it's ugly head!"

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #67
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomlin View Post
It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.

When you find the Airstream for you, you'll know it. Happy camping!
AWESOME POst!!!!!

Well Put!!!!!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #68
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent."

And others think not.....so be it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomlin View Post

I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent. Compare them to any other rv and I think you'll agree. It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.
I do think the quality of new Airstreams is better than the average white box and this is a common argument that is meant to make us accept any issues we may experience with our silver palace. This is also the very attitude that has allowed Airstream to drop their quality. Better than the others is not good enough yet every time we say this we lower the bar for the factory. We tell them that this is good enough and we will continue to support them no matter what. Build the best trailer possible, that's what Wally wanted. Of course Wally wouldn't like my comments but at the same time I don't think he would have approved the use of thinner materials and the far fewer rivets they use in the new models. After all, he is the one who said "Let's not make changes, only improvements". I don't see cutting the amount of rivets holding the skin on as an improvement. As I originally stated, " I do not wish any bad will for Airstream, however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday." We are entitled to get the same quality product that Airstream still bases it's reputation on, nothing less. Anyone reading this thread owes to themselves to take the time to read this in it's entirety, it's a real eye opener. It's just one ladies experience but she is not the only one who has had major issues.

The Silver Snail :: Why Airstream does not deserve the love :: FLOOR ROT IN 2007 LATE-MODEL AIRSTREAM

So, if I offended any of you I apologize, my comment was not meant to offend anyone, it is meant as a wake up call. We don't have to settle for better than the average white box. We all bought into the Airstream legend, we should all get what we paid for, but not everyone did. If you bought a $50,000 car would you turn your head to water leaks, rusty floor boards etc? I sincerely doubt it. Why do we do it with $50,000 -100,000 trailers? Just to support the brand? That is the kind of support that will allow the company to drive itself straight into the ground. I don't want that for Airstream, So contrary to what you may believe I am VERY pro-Airstream. So much so that I have Wally's face tattooed on my arm, I am very committed to the brand and to the club. So much so that I don't mind calling them on it when I see a problem developing. It is not a crime to want the factory to step things up. I should have your support on this. If we don't want this then who will... the bean counters in corporate? I don't think so.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I don't know about the quality issues, but it bothers me that Airstream trailers do not come with LED lights, true deep cycle batteries and disc brakes standard. Are these not the "improvements" that Wally would make?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
NEW OWNERS/OLD AIRSTREAM

we found our 'affordable to us' 1968 Airstream fixer-upper on CL... it was the year I was conceived & my hubby was born (cool factor) we have numerous leaks & have years of work (while living in her FT) ahead of us... to me... Airstream is a passion & I am proud to have as a home that was made in the USA... so I ENCOURAGE people to buy both new & vintage... new so that way Airstream will stay in biz & we can continue to fix-up our home
& vintage because we'd like to compare rehab stories when we can finally go to a rally

peace~ T
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
"In a nutshell" (as Austin Powers would say), I think the "build" quality has improved, but unfortunately, some of the stuff supplied by vendors has NOT.......bumpers, tail light bezels, towel holders, shower doors, etc., as if they now shop the third world for the cheapest prices......naw, they wouldn't do THAT.....
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Appologize for the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
So, if I offended any of you I apologize, my comment was not meant to offend anyone, it is meant as a wake up call.
No need to apologize for telling the truth. Let's face it, this site is DEVOTED to the AS, yet the posts speak volumes for rotten floors, bad customer service, appliances that don't work, and so forth. And these comments are from owners. I'd love to see an AS in my future, but I'm sure looking for alternatives. Reading comments like 'Gee, the Bigfoot quality is great and they look good but I bought an Airstream..' and the next sentence laments Bigfoot's possible demise. Did you think this will encourage AS to build a good RV? You voted with your dollars for the lesser quality.

A wake up call isn't needed. Don't worry, AS knows the quality is poor, but hey, you guys keep buying 'em...
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
No need to apologize for telling the truth. Let's face it, this site is DEVOTED to the AS, yet the posts speak volumes for rotten floors, bad customer service, appliances that don't work, and so forth. And these comments are from owners. I'd love to see an AS in my future, but I'm sure looking for alternatives. Reading comments like 'Gee, the Bigfoot quality is great and they look good but I bought an Airstream..' and the next sentence laments Bigfoot's possible demise. Did you think this will encourage AS to build a good RV? You voted with your dollars for the lesser quality.

A wake up call isn't needed. Don't worry, AS knows the quality is poor, but hey, you guys keep buying 'em...
The Bigfoot we purchased new in 2000 had by far more problems when new than did our 2010 Airstream. The factory and dealer were harder to deal with than Airstream. I ended up spending many hours of my own time putting the plumbing and electrical right in the Bigfoot because of the hassle of getting the warranty work done. I had to fight with them to repair bubbles in the gel coat that appeared in the first few months. After they finally fixed them, the repairs were distinctly visible as long as I owned the trailer. There were many examples of shoddy assembly.

I am curious. Do you have any actual experience with owning a new RV or are you just trying to interpret what others have posted?

Ken
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
POI....interpreting what others have posted BEFORE you buy is one of the important functions of the Forums.

QC has been a concern and will continue to be until it's adequately addressed.

Prominently displaying a shop-vac, and mentioning on the Tours that the workers are being trained to use it, is not that big a step.

Bob
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Quote:
POI....interpreting what others have posted BEFORE you buy is one of the important functions of the Forums.

QC has been a concern and will continue to be until it's adequately addressed.

Prominently displaying a shop-vac, and mentioning on the Tours that the workers are being trained to use it, is not that big a step.

Bob
My point is not to excuse the Q/A. My point is that to say - Airstreams are lousily put together, so I am going to look for a substitute - is probably futile. That is certainly my experience. And I am on my 3rd purchased new trailer. They were preceded by 2 truck bed campers. Everything one had more numerous and more serious "on delivery" problems that our Airstream.

Perhaps I was just lucky.

What I would like to hear from is someone who bought a new Airstream after having previously bought another brand new.
This was the point of my question.

Interpreting what others have posted is indeed important, but I personally am not interested in reading someone else's interpretation of what I can read myself. I prefer to read first hand experiences and form my own opinion.

Ken
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
What I would like to hear from is someone who bought a new Airstream after having previously bought another brand new.

Ken
I will follow the lead of the tv show "Shark Tank".
I have only bought Vintage, therefore, I am out.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
I will follow the lead of the tv show "Shark Tank".
I have only bought Vintage, therefore, I am out.
Well, I would do the same thing if Airstreams were boats.

I certainly cannot argue with the logic that most of the problems "should" be out of a fairly new used trailer.

If you are buying vintage, you are not expecting perfection and that makes a big difference in satisfaction.

Ken
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #79
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered a 28' 2012 Int'l CCD last month -- and I spent a LOT of time on the AS Forums "educating" myself before putting down my deposit. Last week, I drove from NC to JC to do the factory tour and "see with my own eyes." Also had a chance to chat with some folks who were there having some maintenance done. It was a great experience. I've been in the field of leadership development for 24 years after 20 years in the Army. I think I have a good grasp of what well led organizations look like. My observations of the JC plant: the top guy has an office in the mezzanine above the factory floor....Thor industries is across the street, leadership is present at Airstream; the owners I met were very satisfied with their AS -- less so with their local dealers ability to maintain their trailers which is why several of them brought their trailers "home"; one guy had made an appointment to have a final "go over" before his two year warranty expired (a GREAT idea, IMHO); every single person I talked to or met in either the Services or Plant was immediately responsive to my questions. Even the receptionist took the time to give me the production date for my order. A key indicator of quality is the attitude of the work force. What I observed in the plant by those who are building my trailer affirmed my purchase decision. At the end of the assembly line, Don gave us the option to go in the trailers, look around, ask questions, etc. I did. I spoke to a number of workers -- every one of them said they "loved" working there. I asked one guy how long he'd been there. He said, "I'm pretty new here, but this is a great place to work." Moral: a contented work force produces a higher quality product. At one point, we saw three guys "unriveting" a side panel of a brand new trailer (the interior hadn't been installed). We asked why they were doing this. Upon close inspection you could see a light set of scratches on the CS panel. We were told that this trailer did not meet the quality standard and the entire side panel would have to be replaced before it moved further in the plant. Don made the comment, "that's just the way it is --- better to have found the defect now!" I observed three guys intently analyzing some caulking on the lower trim of a brand new Bambi. They were not happy with the way it looked. It was getting redone. In terms of "Made in USA" -- well there were a LOT of component boxes with "Made in China" on them. I can't even imagine how many components within every other component has a non-USA origin. That's the way of the world; interdependence is where we are and where we will be. My experience in the plant and with the AS people validated my purchase. I think the cards are stacked in my favor with this purchase. For me, it's about QUALITY with whatever I buy. For cars, I have one German car (M/B), one Japanese--my TV (Infinity QX 56), and one Italian (Lambo). Everyone of these vehicles is "international" in one respect or another. They are all beautiful to look at, they more than meet or exceed my expectations, and I don't replace them every year. I expect the same experience with my Airstream and fully understand that there will be some bugs to work out. If you haven't been to JC -- go and see for yourself. I think you'll be as impressed as I was.
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #80
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Great News BAB

Look forward to the pic's, keep on posting.