Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spring Branch , Texas
Tall Man using an Airstream Shower

Thinking about buying an Airstream, but am 6'4" tall, so am concerned that taking a shower will be challenge. Anyone have any advice?
dickdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Well now, I am sure I am in the minority here but at 6'3" I find the smallest shower made by Airstream, the one in our 16' Bambi, is just fine. Coming from the sailing world small showers are just part of life for us. You adapt!
Most other Airstream models seem pretty luxurious to me...
I say no problem.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdawson View Post
Thinking about buying an Airstream, but am 6'4" tall, so am concerned that taking a shower will be challenge. Anyone have any advice?
Kneel.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I take the shower head off the holder, wet myself down, put the water on hold, suds up,turn water back on and rinse. We mostly camp where we have no water hook-up and no electricity.
I am only 5'7" and I still take the shower head off the holder and do it that way when we have full hook-up. If you can fit in the shower without hitting your head you will be fine.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
At 6'3", I find the rear wet bath of the '72 TradeWind just fine. I think it will all depend on year and bath configuration, so you might want to get in a few to see what works best for you.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Without knowing what particular Airstream your in the market for, I can give you this info.... Our 2001 Limited has a floor to ceiling measurement of 6 feet. I'm guessing there isn't a taller shower, however, there IS a bench seat. So while you might not find a model with enough headroom for you to stand erect, a model with a shower that includes a built in seat would do the trick!
I'm not familiar with any of the models with the "wet bath", but I believe the concept is an "all-in-one" shower that would use the toilet as a seat during a shower? Long story short, I don't think there is an Airstream shower your gonna stand up straight in. Maybe one with a seat would do?
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Take a seat...

I am 6'3" and found sitting to be the most comfortable way to shower. In my FC 23D I could just barely stand up without whacking my head on the ceiling but our new 27FB has even less headroom and sitting will be my preference to standing with a crooked neck. I'm actually considering adding a stool to sit on in my home shower it's so comfortable.
It would be the last thing I concerned myself about in making a purchasing decision since I spend so little time in there.
Good luck!

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yup 6' 2" and I Navy shower. Sit to was lower, etc
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Maybe install an acrylic bubble in the ceiling above the shower for more head room, sort of like a skylight. Don't laugh, it took me a couple of minutes to come up with that one.
I have to admit, the more I think about it the more workable it seems.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'm 6'4" and barely fit height-wise but have found it is not an issue at 180 lbs. If you are a bigger girth, then the space will be confining. Like a yacht, its best to wet, soap, rinse and not just run the water so elbow room is the key. A momentary bend to wash hair is not a deal breaker.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleStream View Post
I am 6'3" and found sitting to be the most comfortable way to shower. In my FC 23D I could just barely stand up without whacking my head on the ceiling but our new 27FB has even less headroom and sitting will be my preference to standing with a crooked neck. I'm actually considering adding a stool to sit on in my home shower it's so comfortable.
It would be the last thing I concerned myself about in making a purchasing decision since I spend so little time in there.
Good luck!
Jay,

Congratulations on your new 27FB! That was a quick upgrade from the 23D you had at the rally at Casini. Are you going to the fall rally at Jackson? Can't wait to see your new rig.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Maybe install an acrylic bubble in the ceiling above the shower for more head room, sort of like a skylight. Don't laugh, it took me a couple of minutes to come up with that one.
I have to admit, the more I think about it the more workable it seems.
Other brand trailers have that. My other brand trailer had it. At 5'7" I assumed it was to let daylight into a windowless bathroom, but maybe...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I'm 6'4" and barely fit height-wise but have found it is not an issue at 180 lbs. If you are a bigger girth, then the space will be confining. Like a yacht, its best to wet, soap, rinse and not just run the water so elbow room is the key. A momentary bend to wash hair is not a deal breaker.
At 5'11" (though my hair is only 5'9" as you can see in my profile photo) I don't have a problem with height in my Interstate's wet bath. What's lacking is elbow room. I can't towel off after a shower without at least opening the bathroom door. Still, I knew there would be trade-offs when I bought my Airstream, so that's not a complaint, just an observation.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, RV hot water tanks are small so you're not going to be taking long showers anyway. Bend over a little bit, and you're good.

Lynn
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have a dry bath but the shower has a bench seat that is reasonably generous so we don't have any issues.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
At 5'11" ....... I can't towel off after a shower without at least opening the bathroom door.......
Try that in a 16' Bambi built before 2013. The bathroom door opens to the outside door.I find that is exactly the moment my wife decides to open the outside door of the Airstream and come inside. It is always a thrill (although not for the poor person who has to see the show ). We have worked out a system to avoid the show....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Other brand trailers have that. My other brand trailer had it. At 5'7" I assumed it was to let daylight into a windowless bathroom, but maybe...

You made my day!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
@BruceB, had to laugh at your reply - before the Airstream and shear luxury by comparison, showers were a bucket, hose, and sprinkler head rigged to hang on the outside of the bed camper. In the Arizona boonies on a hunting trip with no one around for miles, my dad got caught in a mid-shower drive-by, performing the full Monty, for a car load of nuns headed to the adjacent reservation for early Sunday services. It was 'the' camping story retold for a decade and resulted in a curtain rail addition. At least that homespun solution had plenty of head room!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States

Boy ! I'm sure glad I don't have height problems !! .

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I was 6'-4" a few years back. Now I'm around 6'-3" and I guess getting shorter with age. I hit my head on the entry door sometimes. I sometimes brush my hat on the bottom of the ac. The shower has a little clearance above my head, enough to wash my hair. But, reaching my feet in the shower is impossible unless I use the seat. DW say it sounds like I'm wrestling someone when I shower.