Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Taking Delivery Thursday! Pictures included

Pretty excited to take delivery of my new tiny house on Thursday! I'll be heading south in a couple months to Panama City for my next assignment with the Coast Guard. I do have a question for anyone Towing with an F-150 with traction/sway control. I was debating on a blue ox swaypro but after speaking with Jeremy at blue ox he advised me against it unless I wanted to turn off my traction/sway control EVERY time I started my truck. I bought the new F-150 with the max tow package so I could use all the features associated with traction sway control. Jeremy even went as far as saying if I don't turn it off I'll burn up my brakes and won't be able to get over 50 mph. Anyone have experience with a WD system and the F-150? I know there are countless threads here but it seems they tend to get into the weeds a bit and I wanted to see if there's any updated info. Thanks in advance for the replies and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone out on the road!
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	281290

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-AS9308-DSC05468.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	281291

Pictures attached this time.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Electronic Truck vs. Trailer Sway Control

Take a look at this video. Mr. Truck tests the various combinations of electronic truck and 'Tuscon' electronic trailer sway control. (Dexter makes a branded unit similar to the Tuscon.)

Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We purchased a 2013 F150 to pull our 23D last fall. We also. Ought a Blue Ox on the advice of the dealer and had them set up the hitch when we picked up the Airstream. The tech didn't mention anything about sway control in combination with the hitch.

In November/December we took our first trip of 2500 miles with no issues with either the F150 or the trailer. We traveled from Seattle to San Jose, over to Yosemite in the snow and then back up highway 101 along the California, Oregon and Washington coast. A lot of windy roads and several passes to contend with as well as freeway miles so it was a good shakedown.

I have heard that sway control will work the brakes and affect mileage. We got 12-13 mpg for the entire trip while limiting our speed to 63-65mph - our trailer tires are limited to 65 but it's a good idea anyway. There was never a time that we couldn't go the speed limit or faster if we wanted so the truck has a lot of reserve for our trailer. This is our first "real" trailer and we are still learning. I haven't turned sway control off to see if there is any changes in driving effort or performance. This is something I will try this summer sometime.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
Pretty excited to take delivery of my new tiny house on Thursday! I'll be heading south in a couple months to Panama City for my next assignment with the Coast Guard. I do have a question for anyone Towing with an F-150 with traction/sway control. I was debating on a blue ox swaypro but after speaking with Jeremy at blue ox he advised me against it unless I wanted to turn off my traction/sway control EVERY time I started my truck. I bought the new F-150 with the max tow package so I could use all the features associated with traction sway control. Jeremy even went as far as saying if I don't turn it off I'll burn up my brakes and won't be able to get over 50 mph. Anyone have experience with a WD system and the F-150? I know there are countless threads here but it seems they tend to get into the weeds a bit and I wanted to see if there's any updated info. Thanks in advance for the replies and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone out on the road!
I don't understand this position, unless the Ford system is dramatically different in it's program algorithms than the GM system. The system should work in tandem with a sway control hitch, activating only if and when a significant sway condition occurs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
I've installed WD and antisway systems on hundreds of truck/trailer combos, including the one you will be getting, and have never heard of this. I can also assure you we WILL go over 50mph on the test drive.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Taking Delivery Thursday! Pictures included

Congrats on your new purchase! I tow a Pendleton with a 2016 F250 using the Blue Ox. I do turn off the anti sway system when towing as I find the system's activation of the brakes unexpectedly to adversely affect control at highway speeds. I like the combination of TT, TV & hitch for the most part. Once you determine the correct tension setting on the WD bars, the hitch does seem to be more effective than the Ford system at helping to control sway.
By the way, I asked at my dealership if there was a way to turn the Ford sway control off. It seems we will have to turn it off manually every time... While it can be an annoyance, I am still happy with the combination and don't regret my decision. I do not turn the Ford system off when towing my boat. It is much lighter and does not need a WD hitch. I think it is probably what the Ford system was designed to help with rather than towing our Airstream.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
I have a '14 F150 Max tow package and have used both Fastway and Reese sway control hitches with no issues. Never noticed any action by the truck anti-sway system. I am pulling a Classic w/ electric over hydraulic brakes, so there may be some difference with the all electric systems.
If there was an issue, I believe Ford would mention it in their truck manuals.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Currently Looking...
Milledgeville , Georgia
Great question and lots of good answers, that is why I like this Air Forum and the participants. Thanks to all in educating this reader!
gsusoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Hi Tea,

We have the same trailer and tow it with a 2014 f150 with max tow and blue ox. I've never turned off the truck's sway control and have not experienced any unexpected braking. It would seem to me that if you do experience that, your blue ox may need to adjusted as it is "supposed to" stop sway before it happens.

I must say that I did expect more sway control from my blue ox, mostly when windy. It does a great job otherwise. I may have to crank it up another link and see if that helps.

Good luck, and thank you for your service!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
TEA-

We tow our Pete, a '14 Flying Cloud 27fb with a ProPride hitch, and have a Blue-Ox swaypro on a cargo box trailer.

We used to have the BO on Pete, with a '13 F150 tow vehicle, and now use a '15 F150 with MaxTow and the PP hitch. I've never turned off the F150 sway control program in either truck, nor will I. All combinations of trucks, hitches, and trailers have towed and continue to tow well with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Damien

2012 27' FB International
2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
I've been towing our 27fb with 2015 F-150 super crew just like yours for 2 years. I use an Equalizer WD hitch with sway bars and have never turned off the truck's sway control feature, in fact I didn't know you could turn that off. I don't have Max Tow.
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I want to sincerely thank everyone that took the time to reply. Sounds like I'll just be doing some trial and error to see what works with either turning off the traction control or leaving it on depending on if I feel anything different than usual. Thanks again y'all! Excited to be apart of this community.

Stuart