Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Stupid Airstream Tricks

I have considered starting this thread for some time now. I am doing this primarily to showcase some of Airstreams less thought out "improvements" to their product line. It can also be a place to congratulate Airstream on some of their better new ideas. We can also use this thread to tell Airstream what we would like to see in future Airstreams.

Hopefully, this will become a thread that the Airstream Company will monitor on a regular basis. This can become a real asset to Airstream. Here they can get a feel for what their core customers are thinking.

I will start the ball rolling with one of my favorite pet peeves. When we bought our 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB (our third Airstream), we were quite disappointed to find that Airstream had decided to get rid of the 12 volt (cigarette lighter type) outlets in favor of some 3 volt USB phone charger outlets. I guess Airstream did not realize that there there are many accessories that Airstreamers use that cannot be plugged into USB outlets. One of the first things that I had to do in my new Airstream was wire in a couple of 12 volt outlets to be able to use my small oscillating fans.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Okay, I’ll see your plug and raise you two: 1. The incredibly cheap ‘chromed’ plastic trim used on the exterior lights. The ones on our 25’ 2014 FC aged 10 yrs During the first year. We had them replaced and those looked equally bad after the 2nd year. You would think that for the money Airstream would worthier use chromed metal or better quality plastic.
2. The idea tha the 20 lb (?). mirror front on the medicine cabinet does not need some sort of latch or support to hold it open during use. I should not have to hold the front open with my head while looking for something. Was Airstream to lazy to find one that works or too cheap to supply one? The attitude of ‘let the buyer do it ‘ is way too prevelant in the corporate mindset.
Just my humble opinion - carry on.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Two things:
1) I had to put another latch on our medicine cabinet with mirror in the bathroom. It angles down, and always came open while driving. But it’s a poor design. Do they test these things on bumpy roads. Not sure the extra latch will work. But someone else did the same thing and it fixed problem. One more latch put in by AS would fix issue and cost little.
2). Vents need to be screwed up to the ceiling. We had 2 that kept coming down. Finally used some glue to keep them up. But really no screws? They use screws in houses that don’t move down the road. Why wouldn’t you not do that in an RV?

These are admitted little things. But little things add up to annoyances.

I do concur with the 12 volt suggestion. But do like the USB plug-ins.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
While my experience is restricted to early 2000s trailers, from what I have read it doesn't seem like it has gotten any better. It would go a long way for owner impressions and probably improve quality if they instilled in their workers a pride in their workmanship. Rats nest wiring could be eliminated with $.050 worth of cable ties. Having trash cans handy during assembly so rivet tails, pieces of stripped wiring insulation, dropped screws, etc wouldn't be in every nook, cranny, and crevice. A touch of vacuum cleaner to pick up sawdust wouldn't hurt.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm not sure that we are the core customers for Airstream. I think the demographics Airstream is targeting is younger and possibly more affluent then the Airforums group. There are a lot of people here that have older trailers and different opinions then a younger group that Airstream needs to attract for long term business growth.

There are a lot of members of Airforums that express their desire for twin beds, recliners, old school audio equipment (I still want my cassette player for all my oldies tapes), and other things that are out of touch for a younger, more affluent buyer.

I sure Cadillac ticked off a lot of their older, long term customers when they realized they needed to attract a younger group of buyers several years back. At that time, the did edgier styling, more performance based offerings, and marketed with some Led Zeppelin music.

All that being said, if Airstream is listening to suggestions, please bring back another model line more in keeping with the original CCD's. That would be a clean, crisp modern interior (whites and or grays, not beige). Also, update that the 30' models floorpan so the big side windows are on the same side as the awning and view, and the utilities are all on the street side. This makes more sense both when in most regular RV campsites with patios on the curb side and when boon docking and you can orient a side of the trailer towards the best view. In the boon docking situation such as hanging out at a beach, it is great to have the best view from both the awning side and the inside the trailer. The utilities on the 30's are also goofed up with the city water connection and the fresh water tank fill on opposite sides of the trailer.

Just my 2 cents for the evening.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I have had the same issue with " the incredibly cheap ‘chromed’ plastic trim used on the exterior lights." We had these replaced at JC under warranty. Withing a year or so, they were just as bad again.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Can we not have the open door block the kitchen window?? Just Sayin!!!
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico

I never saw one in person but in 1973 there was an optional accessory called a Thermosan. Basically it consisted of a hose that went from the black tank to the exhaust manifold on the tow vehicle. No @#$% !
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
SmartPlug

Please switch to SmartPlug for the shore power connections. I never have to worry about scraping up my knuckles after installing these, and they make a much better connection.

http://smartplug.com/rv/
Old 05-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I never saw one in person but in 1973 there was an optional accessory called a Thermosan. Basically it consisted of a hose that went from the black tank to the exhaust manifold on the tow vehicle. No @#$% !
I don't think I want to be following one of these down the road.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Also ADD 1) 12 volt outlet outside
2)additional110 outlet by awning
3)awning roller with slot that accepts attachments; not like Zip Dee (none);
my Zip Dee broke where the holes are for adjustment and told NOT covered, NOT defect. Put dent in trailer.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I'm just glad ours did not come with the "have to push by hand" function that we see in many of the vintage caravan pictures. The "close enough to kiss pavement" dump valve location and the "14 inch" tire configurations do qualify for the "Stupid" award. The "disconnect switch" that does not disconnect parasitic loads is a close second for the podium followed in third place by the obsolete converter.

When I worked in Oklahoma, a lead worker helping me load a rail car said it's very important to leave something undone that's easy to fix so the inspector feels good about finding a flaw and you don't have to redo a bunch of trivial things to get sign off. I think the AS team went to the same school as that guy.

Newer teams that eliminate all issues so we can find none no matter how hard we look have raised the bar. We expect our RVs to be similar quality to our cars. Maybe it's a retro thing and worth the trip down memory lane.

Best to count the smiles and forget the STUPIDS. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Can we not have the open door block the kitchen window?? Just Sayin!!!
LilNomad

I agree. Our first Airstream was a new 2005 Safari 25FB. This unit happened to be one of the first ten FB units produced. The door was hinged to the rear and did not block the kitchen window. Airstream soon decided to rehinge to the front. We always liked the rear-hinged door. We traded the 2005 for a 2015 25FB. Given our druthers, we would prefer the rear hinged door.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
What would we "tinker" with?

Improvements are always welcome. I feel certain that $$$ drives decisions at AS. QC & PDI remain vital. Airstream has great warranty coverage and nothing is perfect. I agree "it would be nice" to incorporate the aforementioned ideas however pleasing all of the people all of the time is virtually impossible. Let's go tinker with our rigs.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robere View Post
Improvements are always welcome. I feel certain that $$$ drives decisions at AS. QC & PDI remain vital. Airstream has great warranty coverage and nothing is perfect. I agree "it would be nice" to incorporate the aforementioned ideas however pleasing all of the people all of the time is virtually impossible. Let's go tinker with our rigs.
This thread is less about “tinkering “ with things we would like and more about “what the heck were they thinking “ during the design phase. Tinkering is changing the curtains or upgrading to less. I should not have to tinker to get a cabinet lid to stay open.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I started this thread awhile back: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-127199.html

It started off well with some good and some good but impractical or too expensive ideas. We even had a member of AS staff reading and commenting. Then as usual here, it went south with a lot of bitching and the AS rep never came back. So Good luck here.
Meanwhile, this was my first comment on the thread:

Gray Water Tank Flushing Valve, like the one for black water tank.

Recently I bought a clear adapter for my dump valve hose connection. As usual, I emptied the black water tank first using the new clear adapter and connected a hose to the black water tank flushing valve.

I was fascinated watching what came out with the flushing valve in operation. Way better than anything on network television. Although, I have to admit an amazing similarity to celebrity worship shows like Entertainment Tonight, Academy Awards, and other orgy of self congratulation award shows, etc.

Anyway, after the black tank emptied, I did the gray tank. Then I thought I'll close the gray tank valve and add a couple of gallons of water. Whoa! I was surprised how much sludge (lack of a better word) came out with fresh water.  It then occurred to me how nice it would be to have a gray tank flushing valve too. Or maybe a valve to switch the current flushing valve connection between black and gray. What do you think?

What else could Airstream add to improve new models?
Old 05-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
There should be a factory option for a lift kit. With as many trucks and tow vehicles hitches being higher up these days, a mildly lifted trailer would fit the bill!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Three comments:

1. "I think the demographics Airstream is targeting is younger and possibly more affluent then the Airforums group."

Maybe so, but the young and affluent people I know are, if anything, even less willing to accept poor design and sloppy workmanship than old farts like me. These people grew up with iPhones, and have correspondingly high expectations for build quality in other products.

2. "It then occurred to me how nice it would be to have a gray tank flushing valve too."

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but in my experience tank rinsers work great for about a year... then clog up and become useless. It happened with two different nozzles I installed on my previous RV, and now the tank rinser on my less-than-a-year-old International 27FB is completely clogged. I'd love it if these things worked, but for me at least they just don't. So I continue to use my clear Hydroflush elbow to back-flush my tanks every time I dump.

3. "There should be a factory option for a lift kit."

Amen! I don't have a problem matching height with my F-150, but I want one so I can get more ground clearance when boondocking.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
"The door was hinged to the rear and did not block the kitchen window. Airstream soon decided to rehinge to the front. We always liked the rear-hinged door."

"...pleasing all of the people all of the time is virtually impossible."

Yep, check out the Suicide Door thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ms-180465.html

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Why won't Airstream offer a window in the door that you can see through? Maybe a lot of people like the opaque “windows.” We hate them. There are few enough ways to see out the door side of an Airstream without blocking the view through the window in the door! Since we began our quest, we have found an underground source of these windows, definitely NOT approved by Airstream. At last check via our helpful service rep, Airstream would not even discuss the possibility of having a see through window in the door.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote