Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
in the yard

by the pole barn on black top and no cover
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #42

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Pittstown , New Jersey
We hibernate our Airstream Land Yacht RV in upstate NY. We blow air into all water lines and add RV
Anti-freeze we get at Walmart. We have a pole barn. It’s not heated but we use two oil heaters set at the lowest setting inside the RV. The floor is concrete - we cut plywood to put under each tire. In every nuke and cranny I put bounce drier sheets - the mice hate this stuff. I also put moth balls on the top of each tire.
I did the same when we had a tow behind Coachmen Trailer and kept it outside our home in NJ. We had a stone parking area for the trailer but also put plywood under each tire. Good luck.
Pattysea519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
My nearly 20-year-old Safari sits outside all winter, uncovered no problems. Sometimes I'll knock a bit of snow off of the one solar panel so the batteries stay charged. Just like with rain or any wet weather you want to make sure it is properly weathersealed (caulking etc.). But other than that, I can't see any reason not to leave it out. Most folks do with no problems. I would actually think having some snow on it is better than it sitting in the sun.
Attached Images

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Storing our airstream

To be honest, our 1987 sovreign gets stored outside. We live in Calgary AB (thats in Canada). It stands up well, the snow can accumulate but it tolerates it fine. We do winterize the water system and the batteries are always stored in the house so they don't get damaged. I'm not sure if this is the best thing but it works fine.
triptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
We live in Burlington, VT with our 2011 22FB. It has always been stored under cover before, including last year, which was our first year of ownership. But as you say, given the indoor options which are both costly and frankly far enough away that I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on things like mice etc. - we are thinking we will try a year outside on our property.

All the posts seem the same: keep it inside/under cover if you can, but it can survive if you can't. So with that in mind, if you discover a good indoor option in Northern VT - please share!
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #46
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
storing my Airstream

FYI, I have a 2018 FC, 30. I recently had a cantilevered shelter constructed in my back yard. It will stand up to 85 mph winds & hail. All aluminum extrusion construction with transparent, heat & UV resistant polycarb roof panels. The cost was $10K. But I decided the cost was worth protecting a $100k trailer. Live in Austin, Texas.
Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Hi, I ended up finding a storage solution through Facebook group called "Airstream addict". I communicated with the owner, who owns this large facility that used to be a paper mill in Ryegate VT. It has outside gate, the facility indoor is huge, clean and with security. The owner takes few customers, he keeps his nice toys in it too, boat, vintage Airstream, Mercedes. He charges $100. /month which is so reasonable. I will be storing my AS there starting Nov. 1, then will be taking her out in early Feb. heading South.
I can even stop by anytime to visit "her". Look him up inAirstream Addicts on FB.
My3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote