Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Storing in extreme heat

We just bought a 2014 30í signature. Two of the interior walls recently cracked before we got it. The owner was beside himself and thought it was from sitting in the Phoenix heat. We live in Las Vegas are and will have it outside for a while. He had it closed up. We think maybe leaving windows open a bit may help ventilation.

We are very concerned to preserve our beautiful new home away from home. Any suggestions, thoughts? This week will get to 115 degrees. Of course we are working on some shaded storage until we take it north but in the meantime it is exposed.

Curtis and Wendy
Thorpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Red Oak , Texas
I leave the shower vent cracked year round
thomasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I installed Fantastic Ultra Breeze covers over one of the Fantastic fans so that the fan lid can be left open. I've left my trailer stored in FL for 5 summers. I had no issues related to heat.

One time while I was there in August the temp in the shade was 110 F.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The fantastic fans left open will help dissipate the heat. However they will close with moisture. The covers help with keeping them open but at some year they changed them so the lid will not reopen by itself if they detect moisture. Which means you will have to reopen them manually.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
At the local dealership (Lazy Days) here in dry, dry Tucson they keep a bucket filled with water inside the Airstreams during the dry, hot months.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpflyer View Post
We just bought a 2014 30’ signature. Two of the interior walls recently cracked before we got it. The owner was beside himself and thought it was from sitting in the Phoenix heat. We live in Las Vegas are and will have it outside for a while. He had it closed up. We think maybe leaving windows open a bit may help ventilation.

We are very concerned to preserve our beautiful new home away from home. Any suggestions, thoughts? This week will get to 115 degrees. Of course we are working on some shaded storage until we take it north but in the meantime it is exposed.

Curtis and Wendy
Welcome to the forum. Phoenix or Las Vegas heat in the summertime? Hope this advice is not too blunt, but . . . FWIW . . .

Most of any heat-related cosmetic "damage" is already done IMO. "Baked into the bread?" . . .

"Get used to it" is probably the thing to do . . . living inside of the Southwest's massive "earth-oven" yields limited work-arounds . . .

Focus on the road ahead, not the rear-view mirror IMO.

Life is short.

Happy trails,

Peter

IMO
FYI
FWIW

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The fantastic fans left open will help dissipate the heat. However they will close with moisture. The covers help with keeping them open but at some year they changed them so the lid will not reopen by itself if they detect moisture. Which means you will have to reopen them manually.
Even with the Fantastic Ultra Breeze cover keeping rain off dew will trip the moisture sensor occasionally, but only if power is left on.
I disconnect the battery's ground while the trailer is in storage, so the lid closing is not an issue.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I disconnect the battery's ground while the trailer is in storage, so the lid closing is not an issue.

Maybe for covered storage, but not when left outside.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Maybe for covered storage, but not when left outside.
Mine has been stored outside with the lid open exposed to weather for the last 9 years. In FL from 2013 through 2019. Exposed 100+ mph wind at the eyewall of hurricane Irma in 2017. Since 2019 it's been outside, in NC, with the lid open and one window slightly opened.
I added a Fantastic UltraBreeze cover. (as stated in post #3 above)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:16 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Thanks for all your suggestions folks. I just like to take real good care of my stuff having grown up with very little. I talked to the local dealer as well and they did suggest pails of water in the bathroom and a couple other places and vent open and maybe a couple windows.

I’m hoping to have it in enclosed storage within a couple days and then in Montana for the rest of the summer.

Curtis
Old 06-16-2021, 12:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

Happy Trails,

Peter

Old 06-16-2021, 03:54 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Menifee , California
We live in southern CA and frequently get summer temps well into the triple digits. We had a high of 109 yesterday. We keep our 22FB parked in the driveway, and we are retired, so we are able to keep a close eye on it, opening windows, vents and door during the hot hours. What I'm curious about is the recommend to keep a pail of water inside the trailer. How does this help?
KrustyKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The water evaporates and off-gasses water vapor to the interior, thereby raising the humidity level. Every little bit helps . . . and all without the electricity which would be required for a standard plug-in room humidifier unit.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
At the local dealership (Lazy Days) here in dry, dry Tucson they keep a bucket filled with water inside the Airstreams during the dry, hot months.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #14
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Mine has been stored outside with the lid open exposed to weather for the last 9 years. In FL from 2013 through 2019. Exposed 100+ mph wind at the eyewall of hurricane Irma in 2017. Since 2019 it's been outside, in NC, with the lid open and one window slightly opened.
I added a Fantastic UltraBreeze cover. (as stated in post #3 above)

So with the battery disconnected, the lid open so it cannot close, you have never experienced moisture getting into the trailer, even with the fan covers? We sure have with wind driven rain.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Unfortunately we haven’t had significant rain in a year in southern Nevada. Severe drought and heat. Phoenix is running the Colorado river dry. They will have to make some changes. Surprisingly LAS Vegas recycles 90% of its water but lake mead as as low as its ever been. Boat launches closed.

No worries about moisture in our AS.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Menifee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The water evaporates and off-gasses water vapor to the interior, thereby raising the humidity level. Every little bit helps . . . and all without the electricity which would be required for a standard plug-in room humidifier unit.

Peter
I understand about the evaporation giving a minor boost to humidity level inside the trailer. What I wonder about is how this small additional humidity helps the trailer cope with extreme heat. Is it all about the wooden components? Or does the humidity help somehow with the aluminum skin? Given that the owner's manual mentions danger of humidity build-up inside.

Thank you.
KrustyKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes humidity helps the wood not shrink, in theory, but in the conditions here -- IMO -- hot is hot and the wood may crack and shrink. Standard RV ownership issues not possible to control or ameliorate much IMO.

[over and out on these issues]

Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKush View Post
I understand about the evaporation giving a minor boost to humidity level inside the trailer. What I wonder about is how this small additional humidity helps the trailer cope with extreme heat. Is it all about the wooden components? Or does the humidity help somehow with the aluminum skin? Given that the owner's manual mentions danger of humidity build-up inside.

Thank you.
My brother owns a home in Lake Havasu AZ that he and his wife spend the winter. In the summer, they have a housekeeper whose job is to fill five five-gallon buckets with water inside the home. She does this every two or three weeks. Temp can get up to 140 degrees inside the home.

My brother explained that if you did not do this the cabinets would literally dry up and crack. Moisture can be bad for an Airstream, but so can extreme dryness!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have stored our AS in Gold Canyon about 45 miles east of Phoenix for the last 9 years. We leave the shower vent open and three five gal buckets of water inside. We have a Classic with lots of wood. The only problem we had was the first year I left the wood table inside, well it crack, so after replacing it, now the table is stored in the spare bedroom at home to keep it from drying out. I also leave fresh water in all three tanks about half full to keep seal on the dump valves wet. This year we havenít left yet and itís been over 117 a lot already. Will leave the end of June. Go north young man go north!!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
(PHX) We're fortunate to store our vintage at home. We have taken to leaving the windows open (it never rains here) just so it doesn't get 140 inside. We have reflectix under the curtains against the screens and canvas covers on the windows themselves. We close the windows up when mowing the lawn and during dust storms. The original cabinet laminate is quite fragile and will need to be replaced in time. We were at the oceanside recently and the upper sliding cabinets swelled from moisture it hasn't felt in forever.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote