Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Something other than AS

I've been lurking here a few years. I thought long and hard about getting an Airstream, but in the end, settled on something different.

I decided to go with an Oliver Legacy Elite II. I needed a very durable trailer to use in extremely cold weather as lodgings near jobsites I work at. My monster 5th wheel trailer was just not cutting it.

This probably has zero appeal for most of you, but if your curious, and maybe get some ideas for mods on your existing trailers, then please look over my lengthy review on my blog. I warn you it's long with over 80 pictures, so I didn't want to pollute airforums with all that.

Wincrasher's Travels: My New 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting post. Airstreams are not for everyone.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Airstream would do well to incorporate some of those ideas....
Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm impressed. The Oliver has a quite a few features that should be included in Airstreams. I particularly like the cell phone and wifi range extenders. These Olivers even have powered leveling units just like a big moho. Looking at all of the pictures, the fit and finish at least equals Airstream.

I hope thta this company does very well.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Don't think he even mentioned that is has a top of the line 3 or maybe 4 stage converter. The Oliver Legacy Elite II is a very nice unit.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Did you also look at Bigfoot? Same price range, fiberglass with dual pane windows but don't offer all the electronic goodies like the Oliver but wider and a little heavier.

Looked at your site. Nice photos showing all the features. Thanks for sharing

I hope you enjoy it.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Man! Slick camper. Like others on here, I hope that Airstream pays attention. They did so many things so right on this little camper. How long and wide is it?

-Red, lusting over fiberglass??? Inconceivable...
Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
yea, we need cell phone booster and wifi ranger, wish it was an option offered by airstream
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Beautiful trailer. Glad to know that Olivers are again being made. There are quite a few Oliver lovers out there.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Man! Slick camper. Like others on here, I hope that Airstream pays attention. They did so many things so right on this little camper. How long and wide is it?

-Red, lusting over fiberglass??? Inconceivable...
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
As a former Casita owner I used to say, "I wish Casita made a larger trailer" but Oliver wasn't around when we decided to switch.

I don't think we can give up the dedicated queen bed, larger dinette, 2 wardrobes, slide out pantry and the extra trailer width now. However, I do worry about the same issues Wncrasher alluded to earlier above. If Oliver came out with a 23fb lloorplan and 8ft width I'd be tempted.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Prior to trading for our 2015 Sport 16 we were ready to put a deposit on a new Oliver, although the smaller 18 footer. The Oliver is a fantastic TT and in my opinion the best molded fiberglass TT built today. In short the front window on the AS was the deciding factor for us. We decided we would rather look out the front window than look at the bathroom and closet doors in the Oliver. Of course with the Oliver no worries about wood floor rot. Every decision in life seems to involve some compromise. Oh well, probably for the best.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
Prior to trading for our 2015 Sport 16 we were ready to put a deposit on a new Oliver, although the smaller 18 footer. The Oliver is a fantastic TT and in my opinion the best molded fiberglass TT built today. In short the front window on the AS was the deciding factor for us. We decided we would rather look out the front window than look at the bathroom and closet doors in the Oliver. Of course with the Oliver no worries about wood floor rot. Every decision in life seems to involve some compromise. Oh well, probably for the best.
And no worries about filiform corrosion.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
I've been lurking here a few years. I thought long and hard about getting an Airstream, but in the end, settled on something different.

I decided to go with an Oliver Legacy Elite II. I needed a very durable trailer to use in extremely cold weather as lodgings near jobsites I work at. My monster 5th wheel trailer was just not cutting it.
I have their literature and price lists and am curious. Can you negotiate price or is what you see what you pay?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Pretty much it is list price. If you select a rather long list of options, he may cut you a slight break on an item.

Keep in mind you have to go and pick up your unit should you order one. That cuts out the delivery/shipping and PDI fees you'd pay at a dealer.

The unit you see in my pics I got for right at $50k. I have almost all of the available options.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
Pretty much it is list price. If you select a rather long list of options, he may cut you a slight break on an item.

Keep in mind you have to go and pick up your unit should you order one. That cuts out the delivery/shipping and PDI fees you'd pay at a dealer.

The unit you see in my pics I got for right at $50k. I have almost all of the available options.
Thanks. That's what I figured. I had one of these ordered back in 2009 - it was the next trailer to go on the line and ended up being cancelled when they went into hibernation for a few years. They didn't offer much of a discount then. I've been to the factory in Hohenwald, TN twice. I'm full timing in a 25' FC - not sure I could cut down the stuff enough for one of these. Do like the trailer very much.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sweet Rig!

I looked at your blog....nice camper man! Were I buying a new one, I'd look hard at that!

I have an Avion 34 footer (36 bumper to ball) that I've modified the wee out of. It's a pretty sweet rig with a stout frame and everything new on, but it sure isn't insulated like your rig is.

I think you chose wisely.

Rock On!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Fantastic blog with all the pics. I've enjoyed reading your posts in other RV forums about the Oliver process and your Travato.

Little bummed that the Elite II weighs so much, but it looks like it's built to last a very, very, very long time. I really like that floorplan.

Tom
Old 02-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for posting the review and pics! We're just starting to realize that retirement isn't that far away anymore and are thinking about snowbirding for a few years. Haven't decided on a trailer yet and this gives us something to think about. Curious what other trailers you considered before buying the Ollie.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Um, Airstreams? 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums