Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
Showering Al Fresco?

Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences using the outdoor shower for bathing.

We just purchased a beautiful 22FB Carvel and plan on mostly camping in State and Nat’l Parks. I’m 6’8” and I believe the interior of the Caravel is exactly 6’8” - the inside shower is a little more challenging though I can get it to work : )

The bigger problem is on our shakedown cruise I filled the grey tank about 20% with what I thought was a quick shower (the new AS’s have an on-demand water heater that can’t be turned on and off for a navy shower).

So I was thinking … why not let the wife use the inside shower while I rinse off outside? Is anyone on the forum using it this way? Here’s my questions:

* Has anyone rigged up a simple screen? Most of the shower tents look like they would take up too much space in a campsite/take too long to set up ... and we don’t have an awning on that side to just hang something off of.
* Will shower water/soap splashing hurt the AS’s aluminum skin?
* Would this be considered grey water and is it even generally allowed in state parks?

I searched the forums and found a couple of discussions on this issue from years past, mostly before the outside shower was a standard issue. Would love any feedback you can give me. Thanks!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I know that in National Parks, this would be considered grey water, meaning you can’t do it.

Every Florida State Park I have visited prohibited the release of grey water as well but they also provide showers so it would be a non-issue.

Can’t speak for anywhere else. I have heard that a lot of desert BLM areas have no problem with dumping grey water but don’t take my word for it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I am sure you can turn the water off when ever you want. No different from turning your kitchen faucet on then off, then on again to rinse dishes.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
WALNUT CREEK , California
We boondock mostly, and at remote sites whenever possible and have used our outdoor shower a bit. We don't have a shower enclosure and so try to be discreet, or shower in trunks if needed.
Biggest issues are comfort and what happens to the water when it hits the ground. With the dry air out here in the west you get chilled from the evaporation of the water in even what might be very warm weather, and if there is any wind then it can be quite uncomfortable.
You will want a platform of some type to stand on to stay out of the mud, and site drainage is key so you don't have a river running over to the AS doorway, or create a muddy mess at your campsite. You should definitely use biodegradable soap, get some suction cup hooks to hold your towel, and just dry off the side of the trailer when done.
In my opinion you still can't just let the water run, as that just makes the mess on the ground even worse, and you will blow through your fresh water tank even though the gray tank might be empty. I don't have a tankless heater so the shut-off on the showerhead works just fine, but your mileage may very. Hope that helps.
jmickow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We rarely use our outside shower, and then it's for rinsing things and dogs.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
There are outdoor shower tents and screens that you can purchase for your desired use. They aren’t expensive.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Take a look at the length of the "hose" on that outdoor shower...... hmmm .... 6'8", probably not going to use any shampoo.

Yes this can be changed around. It is one more thing to put on the list.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote