Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello DB5400,

Welcome to Air Forums. Even though you've been lurking there is still so much to learn. We joined Air Forums in its infancy and that was our initial entry into RVing. Other than buying our trailer and tow vehicle from my mother and father and having seen an Airstream in their driveway over the decades, I really had no idea what RVing was all about. We've been hooked now for over 18 years.

We strongly urge you to buy used. Based on seeing trailers for sale on Airstream Classifieds it's possible to buy a ready-to-go trailer in the $20k - $60k range depending on age and model. You can hardly touch a new one for 2X or 3X that and there's the depreciation hit on a new one. Not to mention all the things that can go wrong (with used or new). So if you can bring yourself to buy something that's not the latest and greatest you'll have plenty of cash remaining for a tow vehicle, upgrades, etc.

If you do want something more contemporary there are lots of rigs out there for good prices. Take some time and look around. Buying from a dealer is not the only option. It's surprising how many people buy an Airstream and sell them a year or two later - upgrading the size/model or simply didn't like RVing.

We've been members of WBCCI since we purchased the trailer. The club opens lots of opportunities for travel and camaraderie. Air Forums members put together rallies too - don't overlook those events as a means to meet people and learn. Rallies are likely to resume in the near future and that's another means of meeting people and learning about RVing before you buy. Stay in a hotel or rent an RV and attend a rally for the weekend.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
If you are asking airstream owners if you should have one, I can easily guess the answer you want to hear. (Yes?) If you never camped, rent or borrow a camper, try it out.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I started camping in a VW bus (not a camper though). Went through a tent, 2 pop ups, and two travel trailers prior to buying my first Airstream in 2001 at the age of 55. I bought my second Airstream in the fall of 2003 and still own that trailer today.

Others have said rent first and probably that is a good idea. Quite honestly those years before the Airstream were spent appreciating and learning what I wanted and how to understand what camping is. In essence you are putting down a large chunk of change with no experience. Much different from taking it a step at a time.

One thing I learned about was quality and all except for one situation, I spent a little extra on each of my camping units for that quality. I bought a Coleman tent, two Coleman campers and a Hi-Lo trailer. All of those items cost more, but I got back in quality and resale value when I decided to move up. That Hi-Lo was 14 years old when I sold it and was a great travel trailer. My only mistake was when I went from the Hi-Lo to an SOB aluminum framed Thor branded trailer. It was new and leaking from the day I bought it and I bought it for price rather than quality. I only kept it two years because I soon realized what a mistake I made. My Airstreams have been good. I only kept my first for 2 years because I saw the Classic slide out at a dealer rally and fell in love with all the room that the slide gave me. Each of the Airstreams had their initial issues but quite honestly those were fairly minor.

So understand not only are you buying a trailer, but you also have the expense of a hitch, proper sizing of a tow vehicle. Insurance is a factor and storage is another. Obviously you also worry about weather, and not just camping. But when it's sitting and not being used. I think my best decision was the ability to store my trailer under cover. I can't tell you how much comfort I get in the fact that I store it inside, especially when the forecasts of damaging winds and hail come by. Sitting out takes its toll and you have to be diligent about keeping the trailer clean and watching those rooftop areas where caulking is present.

If you have anyone you know who owns a trailer and has had good service, ask them about the effort they put in. Also remember that for many of us, the trailer is not stored in a always warm climate. That means you have to winterize the unit which involves getting the water out of the lines and drains. Many of us use surge protection or Electrical monitoring systems that prevents damage to your appliances due to power spikes or under voltage. Tires need to be protected from UV exposure and unfortunately you will be replacing them much more often than other vehicles you own. Not from wearing out but from the fact that there are many stresses on those tires, and a lot of stationary sitting.

Again you are going into a steep learning curve that may be overwhelming, but this forum has a lot of folks who have been there. So renting can give you a taste of the camping experience, but the ownership experience is piece that you will experience after you purchase.

Finally the important servicing side. The more you can do or learn, the better you will be. Dealer service is sometimes sketchy and ask folks about their experience with dealers. I have a remarkably good dealer in my locale. $120 an hour for labor and some long lead times for service. You can find deals all over the country for an Airstream. Remember however that you will have warranty work to be done and subsequent servicing of items that you are unskilled at doing. In these days consider if saving $300 or so is worth buying outside what you may consider your local area. Know that the guy servicing your trailer knows if you bought that trailer from him or not. While he services all Airstreams, if he knows you bought the trailer from him, getting that short notice appointment for service might be a little easier.

Also look at how he sells you that trailer and introduces you to it. My dealer has full hookup sites at his dealership. He encourages you to overnight at his place on the day of delivery. He trains you on all aspects of the trailer, gets it all set up for you and then says use it. Enjoy the chilled bottle of champaign in the fridge. Try everything out and use it! Tomorrow morning we will fix anything that isn't right or go over things again. And at that point once you are happy, we will do the paper work and you can give me your check.

Hope this all helps a little.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
We too are future Airstream owners, but I can share some personal thoughts that might help....

The last straw was an old friend who used to camp with his wife and kids early in their marriage. During his working years, he didn't have time to camp anymore, but they started to make post-retirement plans to pick it back up. Autumn before last, they'd saved up and found a used pick-up and a truck camper to fit in it. She spent the winter making curtains, buying stuff for the kitchen, and picking out bedding. He spent time fixing mechanical things. The following Spring she became suddenly and unexpectedly ill and passed away shortly thereafter. The camper sat for over a year because he couldn't bring himself to take it out without her. Only last year did he finally go, and every trip is bittersweet.

Adding to the equation, I had a heart attack three years ago. I was a healthy weight, good cholesterol, active, never smoked, don't drink, no diabetes - just a history of heart disease on both sides of the family. Three stents later, I got a second chance at living.

When that happened, I make the conscious choice to make sure I lived before I was ready to die.

We bought our first camper - a T@B 400 teardrop - last August and have enjoyed every minute we spend in it. We haven't taken any long trips yet, but we have done several long weekend jaunts and have even work camped (we both work remotely anyway) at nearby state parks.

I'm not suggesting anyone be irresponsible and buy something they can't afford, or go into something headfirst without thinking it through, but I also wouldn't overthink it. If you end up liking it and can make your own version of the compelling scenarios on the brochures and magazines, fantastic! If you find out it's not for you, you might lose a few bucks. Big deal. You'll make more.

Bottom line: You can't change yesterday. Tomorrow is not promised. All we have is today, and I'm committed to making the most of it.
jameskuzman, wow - what a thoughtful, powerful message! You did a wonderful job of explaining why tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. I’m glad to hear you’ve recovered and enjoying your T@B 400.

My dear wife is six years older than me and a breast cancer survivor. After her recovery we talked about what to do when I retired. We both love photography and travel so we made several trips out to Moab, Bryce Canyon and Zion by car. We handled the driving fine and pondered what if might be like to have a trailer. We had experience with tent and pop up campers.

To DB5400, great advice from everyone above. Consider renting (any brand) to see if you like the experience enough to have your own. If so, go for it! Life is short, tomorrow isn’t guaranteed...

By the way, we’re on our 2nd Airstream, a 27’ Globetrotter. It’s parked next to our garage and makes me smile every time I look at it. Heading to Colorado in a few weeks then will do some shorter trips closer to home.

Good luck with your decision!
Jeff & Caryle
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Think a few have hit the nail on the head here. I've restored 2 vintage trailers (Scotties), owned two fiberglass models, 19' and 27', and currently have a 30ft FC Bunk. I grew up camping with my parents and my wife never traveled when she was growing up. We tented prior to my restorations, moved up to fiberglass boxes after having children, and now have a 7yr old that loves camping.

That being said, it's not for everyone, you may at a minimum want to try a rental rv, or even an air bnb in a trailer for several days first. An airstream is a huge investment, dont get me wrong if I had to do it all over again I would have skipped the 2 fiberglass boxes and would never go back to them, but I would try camping in something less expensive first to make sure it's something you and your wife truly love. We've camped all over the US, tons of. National Parks, DC, etc. (From Michigan)

Bottom line, it's a lot of investment, and a lot if responsibility, and you need to be comfortable driving with a trailer! I've monitored a lot blogs, facebook pages, etc and have seen a lot of people jump right in only to regret it and loose money on buying a rig and turning around just to sell it a loss. So my bottom line, do whatever you can to try it out as much as you can before you take that leap of ownership. Happy Trails!
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Get the Airstream

We were sailors for years. We owned a 40 ft blue water boat, planning to retire to the Caribbean. But as retirement neared, we realized that there was much of the USA to see, and the best way to do it is on the road.

Friends had camped for years in every type of RV. They settled on an Airstream and RAM 2500 diesel as their favorite and ultimate choice.

So the decision was easy for us. Leveraging our friends experience, we purchased a 27 FCFBT and a RAM 2500 diesel. We have over 66,000 towing miles with no regrets.

The islands are a pleasant plane ride away!

Its a good life...
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Bethesda , Maryland
Thanks. May I ask who your dealer is?
DB5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5400 View Post

Hi there. Long time lurker. I love these forums.

My question is whether my wife and I should take the plunge and get an airstream? I know this is in some respects unanswerable, but I would love to hear folks’ views.

I love the IDEA of having an airstream and I am a sucker for the marketing and the beautiful Instagram pictures of airstreams sitting next to picturesque lakes and mountains..

I know the reality of it will be different.

We are in our mid 50s and have children in college. I am taking a year or two off after having worked at the same company for 21 years. We have the luck of being financially secure for now at least.

We would probably use it for long weekends and for one or two long trips each year out west. We live on the East Coast.

We like hiking and the outdoors but the way we do these trips now is flying somewhere and staying in a hotel and hanging out in towns, going to bars and restaurants, etc.

I haven’t pictured myself really as a an RV person, although I do picture myself hanging out in an airstream. But I worry that I’ll miss staying ‘in town’ when I travel, or that I’ll end up in crowded trailer parks rather than in the picturesque places in my unrealistic airstream fantasies.

I’m curious if any of you felt any of these thoughts and how it turned out?

Thanks in advance.

Just sent you a PM.....

Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
My wife and I traveled for years to major cities going to art museums, restaurants, shows, site seeing, shopping, etc. We’ve seen most of the art available to see. In 2016, we bought an Interstate and have never looked back. We still like the big cities and continue to see the world; however, the world is not exclusive to big metropolitan areas. There’s a whole lot of in between. If you think the best food is in NY or Boston, then maybe you just need to head out across America. I can’t tell you how many times that we’ve driven into a town and had a great meal, and the bill was about $100 where it would be $300 in the city, and the food and service were better. There is plenty of architecture, even in the middle of nowhere. There are massively hokey attractions- the Wall Drug Store- some places are to be avoided, needles to say. There are grand sites to see- the Grand Canyon and the National Parks. There are big skies. There are friendly people. There is history. There is so much that it is practically indescribable. But there are are pitfalls which include most campgrounds. For us, a campground is nothing but a place to plug in for the evening. So here’s a solution: get enough lithium and solar so that you only have to go to a campground if you need a plug in for AC or if you need to dump or get water. Trust me, 5k or 10k is definitely worth the investment not to have to deal with trying to find these places, trying to find your parking spot, trying to get level, and then dealing with some of the managers and owners- another place to avoid is Candy Hill in Winchester, VA. Park for the evening at Walmart or wherever.

Here are a few advantages of having your own house on wheels: you can carry all your stuff, you have your own bed and a bathroom is always available, you can go wherever you want and are not limited to the city, you can drive around the weather, you will meet the most amazing people, you are in control of your destiny.

And some disadvantages- sometimes driving is a pain, especially in bad weather or through road construction or long stretches where there is nothing but more nothing for each and every mile. Ownership comes with carrying costs including depreciation and maintenance.

So here’s my question for you: do you want to see things that you can’t imagine, or are you just looking to sit on a couch and watch football? Spend a lot of time doing your homework and make a decision. Maybe we’ll see you out there.

@coasttocoastphotoatl
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:28 AM   #30
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
We too are future Airstream owners, but I can share some personal thoughts that might help.

Some folks have already raised some great points and asked some very thoughtful questions to provide some valid reality checks, so I won't further comment along those lines. Likewise the equally valid considerations about cost, proper tow vehicles, and the like. That all absolutely matters, but I'm going to go bigger picture here.

I'm 53, soon to be 54. We enjoyed tent camping for many years but stopped about 7 or 8 years ago because it was getting a little uncomfortable unless the weather was just right, and wasn't as much fun as it used to be. I'd thought about getting a camper for quite some time but talked myself out of it because I didn't want to spend the money and wondered if I'd make the time.

Fast forward to last year where I witnessed a succession of friends and acquaintances passing away shortly after they retired. To one degree or another, they'd prepared fairly well for retirement, doing all of the "right" things in terms of saving, investing, scrimping, and waiting.

One fell down and ended up spending two years in assisted living and rehab and spending nearly all of her life savings in the process. Another died 6 months after retiring with a hefty bank account and a bunch of bucket list trips unfulfilled.

The last straw was an old friend who used to camp with his wife and kids early in their marriage. During his working years, he didn't have time to camp anymore, but they started to make post-retirement plans to pick it back up. Autumn before last, they'd saved up and found a used pick-up and a truck camper to fit in it. She spent the winter making curtains, buying stuff for the kitchen, and picking out bedding. He spent time fixing mechanical things. The following Spring she became suddenly and unexpectedly ill and passed away shortly thereafter. The camper sat for over a year because he couldn't bring himself to take it out without her. Only last year did he finally go, and every trip is bittersweet.

Adding to the equation, I had a heart attack three years ago. I was a healthy weight, good cholesterol, active, never smoked, don't drink, no diabetes - just a history of heart disease on both sides of the family. Three stents later, I got a second chance at living.

When that happened, I make the conscious choice to make sure I lived before I was ready to die.

We bought our first camper - a T@B 400 teardrop - last August and have enjoyed every minute we spend in it. We haven't taken any long trips yet, but we have done several long weekend jaunts and have even work camped (we both work remotely anyway) at nearby state parks.

I'm not suggesting anyone be irresponsible and buy something they can't afford, or go into something headfirst without thinking it through, but I also wouldn't overthink it. If you end up liking it and can make your own version of the compelling scenarios on the brochures and magazines, fantastic! If you find out it's not for you, you might lose a few bucks. Big deal. You'll make more.

Bottom line: You can't change yesterday. Tomorrow is not promised. All we have is today, and I'm committed to making the most of it.
So well said! Thanks for sharing!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, For us it's like magic. I drive to a location away from home. Find a camp ground and settle in. Take my tow vehicle to town, restaurants, museums, or any other attraction. After I have done and seen everything, I head back to my trailer. Now the good part; I have my own bedroom, bathroom, Livingroom, and kitchen. We don't have to share this with anyone. Going to motels is like going to a stranger's house every day.

+1. That’s where we’re at too. Our AS isn’t so much for camping as it is our “home away from home”. Our combined families live in four different states. We’re both retired now and have no interest in flying or staying in a motel. We drive until we feel like stopping for the day and then we eat our own food and sleep in our own bed. That’s the most freedom we have ever experienced. We’re pretty happy with our FC 27FB.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
DB5400 Dealer Question

We purchased our 2017 Airstream from a private party in 2017.

We had a major trip planned, so we set a hard date for buying a trailer. We wanted a 27FBT with ducted air conditioning.

The plan was to cruise the Airstream classifieds and watch Colonial Airstreams inventory as we approached our hard date. If we couldn't find a late model used trailer, we would buy a new one from Colonial.

We bought the pickup so that we could act quickly.

We were lucky to find a trailer that was purchased new in 2017. The owners' personal situations changed, thus they needed to sell the trailer shortly after they purchased it.

I bought it within hours of the ad being posted on Airstream classified at considerable savings.

No regrets.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
That's an interesting question to ponder and I see that many have offered their opinions, comments and suggestions. Only you and your family can make that choice, and whatever that may be, it will be what's best for your family. Don't worry about costs..... as everything will always cost something regardless of a good deal, or warranty or upkeep/repair. That goes with it being an Airstream or SOB, boat, car etc. If you want it, you will find a way! Buy what works best for you and what you are comfortable with and what will keep your family safe while on the road and at your destination.

I grew up camping as a kid and our family always had tents, Shasta canned hams, Holiday Rambler, Terry's and early Jayco pop up trailers. When I got married and started my own family we started off with tent camping, got our first pop up camper. 6 kids and Newfie put some serious usage on that pop up, but the memories we all have as a family was what made it special.

We moved up to our first AS. She's not perfect, but she's not a basket case either. I like that I am able to work on it and make it ours and the best part is I have my kids that want to help and be a part of making her the way we want her. I used to be a VW/Porsche mechanic before cheffing and I do like a good challenge, so we are doing all the work ourselves.....and so far, it hasn't been too expensive. Just takes some time, patience and being able to share some knowledge (already known and newly acquired) with my helpers.......and seeing their excitement with something that is not tied to the internet, social media or a game has been already well worth the money we have spent!

Good luck to you with your search and I am sure you will make the best choice for you and your family!
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Bethesda , Maryland
2d "should I buy an Airstream post" - hassle stopping in small towns and cities?

This is my second “should I buy an Airstream” post. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Right now when my wife and I travel, we fly, rent a car, drive from place to place, stay at hotels, etc.

We like the idea of Airstream travel but I am wondering if dragging a trailer around will prevent us from doing some of the stuff we like to do. I.e., will it feel like an albatross around our necks?

So for example, will towing a trailer prevent us from easily stopping in small towns or cities for lunch or to look around or whatever during the day when we are traveling from place to place? (i.e. when we are not set up at a camping spot and are just transitioning and want to see some sights and get some local flavor on the way ).

Even with just a car it is sometimes a hassle finding parking when we stop to look around small towns in Colorado, Maine, etc etc.

How do people do these kinds of stops with a trailer? Or do you just have to avoid it?

Sorry this question is not very well articulated but I am curious how much of a burden it feels like if you like to meander when traveling from place to place but are towing versus just having a car or truck.

I don’t mind the driving at all or the towing itself, but I am worried about us just saying “ah screw it the Airstream is kind of a hassle, and keeps us from stopping places so let’s just leave it home for this trip.”

Is this an issue? Are there workarounds?

Thanks.
DB5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I look at travelling as a balance. Some trips can be in the car, others in the trailer and some by plane or cruise ship.

For us, it really comes down to what we want to do. With current pandemic, trailer life makes the most sense and camping where ever we are able. When things get back to normal, we will look at adding other forms of travel to suite our plans.

If parking is your only negative, then sounds like you are ready to take the plunge!
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #36
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5400 View Post
This is my second “should I buy an Airstream” post. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Right now when my wife and I travel, we fly, rent a car, drive from place to place, stay at hotels, etc.

We like the idea of Airstream travel but I am wondering if dragging a trailer around will prevent us from doing some of the stuff we like to do. I.e., will it feel like an albatross around our necks?

So for example, will towing a trailer prevent us from easily stopping in small towns or cities for lunch or to look around or whatever during the day when we are traveling from place to place? (i.e. when we are not set up at a camping spot and are just transitioning and want to see some sights and get some local flavor on the way ).

Even with just a car it is sometimes a hassle finding parking when we stop to look around small towns in Colorado, Maine, etc etc.

How do people do these kinds of stops with a trailer? Or do you just have to avoid it?

Sorry this question is not very well articulated but I am curious how much of a burden it feels like if you like to meander when traveling from place to place but are towing versus just having a car or truck.

I don’t mind the driving at all or the towing itself, but I am worried about us just saying “ah screw it the Airstream is kind of a hassle, and keeps us from stopping places so let’s just leave it home for this trip.”

Is this an issue? Are there workarounds?

Thanks.
Stopping at and exploring small towns is one of the things we really enjoy about traveling with our AS. Typically we find a campsite near our target, camp there and then just use our TV to visit the town and explore the area. If there are several days of things to do we stay several days. If not we pull up stakes and go to the next target area. We have enjoyed some really nice areas and unique towns traveling this way!

And, while it's not one of my favorite things to do, I've often towed thru small towns and the suburbs. I just take it slow and easy. And since I'm bigger than most cars they get out of my way.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Visiting small towns is the best part about pulling your house with you! I treat each journey like I was riding my Harley. The fact the I am towing a 30’ 10” trailer has never stopped me from seeing what I came to see. With that said, just make sure you can back out of any situation you get yourself into. I can still impress my wife with my trailer backing up abilities!
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sure it is harder to stop and see things when you are towing a trailer. That just goes with the territory. There is no free lunch. We are campers and enjoy traveling in our Airstream with our two dogs. If you are thinking that this minor inconvenience might be a problem then Airstream travel might not be for you.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There are some really nice aspects to hauling your stuff, your bathroom, your refrigerator, and your dining room with you. For example, a rest stop at a State maintained rest area is wonderful and easy. Eat a leisurely lunch, use their toilets or your own. But the idea of doing the same thing driving on lesser roads isn't quite so easy. When you are tooling down the road at 50-55 mph, watching for hazards ahead, it is hard to see a place where you can pull in far enough in advance. Sort of, oh that Food Lion parking lot we just passed would have been great. Similar issues as you drive through a town and see something you might have wanted to visit. In a car, you just circle the block or turn around, but not towing a trailer. So, I find you really do not get to stop and smell the roses; you just press on to your destination. It is a whole lot easier in just a car.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Honestly-just about every commercial building in the US is serviced by the supply fleets that deliver in big trucks. Meaning that somewhere there wlll space for your rig to get in and out and to park.

The grocery stores, even small town gas stations, restaurants. All take deliveries and somehow this happens.

Sure during peak times it may be too busy and you might have to park a block away and walk. But we have not found this to be a real problem.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote