Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Shiny aluminum

If I ever became a tech billionaire I'd want to collect vintage airplanes. P-51s, P-38a, F-86, maybe even restore my own B-29 if I could find enough parts. But the one thing I would insist on from the restoration team is they all have that highly polished aluminum look. I guess with AS's new protected aluminum it's virtually impossible to polish a late model to that kind of finish. I did a cursory search of the interweb and could not find anything on polishing later models. Obviously I have no intention of ever doing this, I'm just wondering if anyone has stripped the protective coatings off newer models and buffed them out? I think they'd look awesome.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yes you can strip off the clearcoat, but the underlying alloy will never polish to a finish like the old vintage trailers.

The old trailers were made with Alclad aluminum, which had a very thin layer of pure aluminum on the surface which could be polished to shine like a mirror.

Same with the P-51.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote