RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I did a lot of Great Lakes sailing, but nothing compares to the ocean, although it can be unforgiving. There are great destinations everywhere, yes, but for me, a lot of the joy was days sailing especially on a beam reach. No other boats close, just sky and sea. A good autopilot enhances the enjoyment. Bluewater sailors know exactly what I am talking about. Where I live, I could be offshore in half a day. My one AS experience that came close was Malpeque Bay, PEI late season, almost no one there. Spent a week there. Took a lot longer to get there though.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My dad was a professional yacht captain all his life. He did all the maintenance and stuff while the boat was in wet storage during the hurricane season in Florida. My brother and I both helped him with engine work and varnishing, etc.

That really helped me understand what a pain owning a boat could be. Our Airstream has its moments, but I don’t have to pump bilges every day, deal with endless maintenance and worry about it sinking without warning...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I have to admit that hurricane season was the worst anxiety for me since our club required anchoring out for any named storm. Some knew how, others did not and a few always dragged, damaging others in some cases. Worse was the fact that I could not check on the boat for 2-4 days. Then another storm and do it all over again.
Normally, you really do not need to check on a boat any more often than you need to check on an Airstream. My boat never leaked(rain), but my Airstream has. I have seen pictures of tree limbs on Airstreams...usually hard for that to happen to a boat. But yes, washing a modern Airstream is a lot easier than teak or gelcoat maintenance, thankfully. Although, it was always easier and quicker to get my boat into a boatyard(nearby) than it is to get to an Airstream dealer.
Larry
Old 12-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Sailing vs. Airstreaming

Larry

It’s all about perspective. Over the years we sailed out of Chicago, Annapolis, Ft. Lauderdale when we were not living aboard. Getting to a marina in Chicago required scheduling a river trip and bridge openings. Not fun. Annapolis had lots of choices except only 2 had lifts big enough for us and getting the good folks to schedule work was a challenge. Fort Lauderdsle had a limited number of choices as well and there were folks but again getting scheduled was a challenge.

Then there is getting repair while underway. Whole different game. We had to sail days sometimes if we needed parts or service. Had to wait somewhere for weeks for parts to show up. Haul out in the Bahamas good luck. Let alone down island. There are a couple of marinas but parts and service... I could go on, but I carried spares for everything mechanical. Engine parts, generator parts, Watermaker parts, standing rigging mechanical couplings, I could rebuild my engine with the spares as long as there was no machining required. Ever had a fishing net wrap a prop at sea even with line cutters? How about a mast track failure where the cars wouldn’t drop cause a screw backed out a little bit oh and it’s blowing 30 and have to go up the mast to fix it. Upside down in a lazerette for generator maintenance. 100 hour oil changes happen way more frequently when your underway full time. Then the weather discussion I became a full time weatherman with Chris Parkers help. Planning passages was work to make sure you properly anticipated leveraging fronts.

Now the great is being the only person in an anchorage for a week in the Bahamas or down east Maine or the Chesapeake etc. diving a reef for dinner, getting lobster daily, Catching a mahi or tuna offshore. Exploring new places.

We had a good size boat 47 ft and were an outside open ocean boat only due to mast height, we were comfortable when others weren’t coved more distance is less time etc. but a couple of BOAT units was the starting point when something needed repair and when you’re full time that was more often than you think.

So from my perspective the Airstream is easy. Check back in 8 months as we’ll be full time for a bit starting in a couple of weeks. But so far after 5000 miles and 75 or so nights, the Airstream is way easier.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

You are absolutely right...Airstreaming is way easier and less expensive. But when the final bell rings, is it really more enjoyable than those deserted anchorages and long beam reaches? Doesn't matter because that's not really a choice anymore. Just wistful to reflect back on one of life's choices. Maybe my mind is searching for something that truly could have replaced sailing. The aggravations of sailing never seemed to be as aggravating as the Airstream aggravations. Thus, I find bourbon tasting an enjoyable pursuit....
Larry
Old 12-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Sailing vs. Airstreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
You are absolutely right...Airstreaming is way easier and less expensive. But when the final bell rings, is it really more enjoyable than those deserted anchorages and long beam reaches? Doesn't matter because that's not really a choice anymore. Just wistful to reflect back on one of life's choices. Maybe my mind is searching for something that truly could have replaced sailing. The aggravations of sailing never seemed to be as aggravating as the Airstream aggravations. Thus, I find bourbon tasting an enjoyable pursuit....

Larry

Time will tell, our next trip includes a fair bit of off grid camping. We’re set up to really boon dock with solar lithium etc. hopefully will be like those anchorages. And nothing like a good cigar and a good scotch / bourbon 🥃 depending on my mood. Cheers

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
Old 12-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Time will tell, our next trip includes a fair bit of off grid camping. We’re set up to really boon dock with solar lithium etc. hopefully will be like those anchorages. And nothing like a good cigar and a good scotch / bourbon 🥃 depending on my mood. Cheers
Fair winds and following seas...to you

Larry
Old 12-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Larry
I still believe you are suppressing the memories of the more difficult parts of sailing. That is fine, we all do this with events in our lives. We forget the challenges and pine for the better moments.
When we decided to trade sail for power it was because those incredible reaching sails were too few and far between for the work involved. We were spending months aboard every year and could point to a handful of them annually.
Still, they were magical moments. I will never a spinnaker run from Schoodic Point to Roque Island or a 195 nautical mile run in 24 hours under Code Zero heading toward Bermuda... or sailing into Bermuda for the first time on our own boat. Those are all magical moments in time that I tend to forget the bad parts of.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #29

2000 30' Excella
Springfield , Virginia
Sailing vs Airstreaming

Land Yacht vs Ocean going Yacht same thing, same type of person participates, same ramification if someone forgets maintenance or has a brain cramp.

I like to do both. One with friends (wife gets seasick) one with wife. Major advantage of sailing is getting to foreign locations is a bit easier and one travels 24 hours a day!

Below is a trip taken in Nov as part of this year’s Salty Dog rally to Antigua. We could drag a lure behind us so were able to feast on Yellow Tail Tuna, Maui Maui, and Wahoo! Never have had any luck dragging anything behind the Airstream!

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87F553E3-1A08-45E5-A9C7-FAD56FEA68FF.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	570.9 KB
ID:	384841   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E53B075-2CDF-4CAE-AF2E-5CA91C08103F.jpeg
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	384842  

Name:	D2C3C584-AD13-462D-9DE8-C0CEBD2D8C88.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	384843   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3810482-FB66-438B-9CED-703C567CFC99.jpg
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	384844  

Psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
This is a great thread.
I see our Airstream as halfway between a boat and a house.
Maintenance wise that is.
But the OP has a point that I agree with. And that is the poor assembly of the trailer is a drag. Sometimes it would be almost embarrassing.
But after a few years of work you can get most of the stuff right. And then its smooth sailing.

Oh and I get to drive around in a cool truck even when not on vacation!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Does this count as doing both
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201211_174315.jpg
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	384851  
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Bob
🇺🇸

Maybe this does....😲
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C705D0EA-D019-41E0-9B66-02D26E3B5D13.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	529.5 KB
ID:	384855  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
There's a saying amongst cruising sailors; sailboat, motorboat, motorhome, rest-home
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

How true, how true. I saw many people move from sailboats to trawlers to RV's.
Larry
Old 12-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
A fair number also went from sail to RV just a change in travel style and destination.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
Old 12-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If I understand the OP‘s major point, the thing that sucked much of the joy out of airstream ownership for him was the annoying flaws and frustrating build quality of his brand new airstream especially compared to the price paid for it. And to be honest, it’s hard to argue that very good point.

I was very fortunate to purchase a vintage unit as my first airstream, and actually enjoyed fixing it up and updating what was at the time of purchase a nearly 40 year old trailer. I think this, for me, resulted in a greater share of joy because firstly I had far less money invested in the purchase compared to new and secondly, what some researchers have labeled the “IKEA effect “ - A curious observation that owners who assemble their purchase tend to value and enjoy it more.

This very experience is one of the things that prevents me from considering purchasing a brand new airstream. First, I don’t have any illusions as to the mystique of the airstream brand, nor of the reality of the RV industry and the build quality coming off the line at Jackson Center. Second, I am pretty well convinced that I could go out and buy a vintage unit, pour tens of thousands of dollars into customizing it, and end up with a much better trailer, at a fraction of the cost of brand new. That should give sailing a run for it’s money.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Before I owned my Airstream I had a Siren 17, which I would keep on a mooring during the spring and summer on a large lake. Not an expensive boat to own and not difficult to maintain, but only comfortable to stay on for one night, and you wouldn't want to take it off shore.

We enjoy the Airstream a lot more, but I still have fond memories of sailing.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Yeah, maybe just memories and, as pointed out above, it is easy to forget some of the agonies. On the other hand, I get to live with Airstream agonies in the present and every time I go out with it. Well, almost every time. Seeing it every day(on my pad) is just a reminder of how poorly made it really is and how far below my expectations.
Larry
Old 12-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Lake Mills , WI
Back when I had my boat I was looking into doing the great loop. Doing most of it with my mast on the deck. My wife and I considered carefully and ended selling the boat and ordering an Airstream and something to pull it. We realized that we could see much more of the country by road and traveling faster than 8 knots. Are there any RV people doing a similar type of route? Maybe checking off all the National parks and such.
tlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlars View Post
Back when I had my boat I was looking into doing the great loop. Doing most of it with my mast on the deck. My wife and I considered carefully and ended selling the boat and ordering an Airstream and something to pull it. We realized that we could see much more of the country by road and traveling faster than 8 knots. Are there any RV people doing a similar type of route? Maybe checking off all the National parks and such.

Simply put yes - me. As I am retiring for the second time first was to sail around the world which didn’t happen for a number of life reasons, we are now traveling with our Airstream and a plan to hit the National Parks in the lower 48 and ideally Alaska.

When we were sailing did most of the Great Lakes Chicago thru Buffalo the Hudson, the whole east coast, Bahamas most of the Caribbean islands. I get it.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum