Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Sandusky , Ohio
Just conferred with P&S Trailer in Ohio, Airstream professionals. When I asked about memory foam, a suggestion was buy a queen memory foam (I am replacing rear twins); lay the twins on it as a pattern and cut around outline with electric knife! I saw this same suggestion on the forum but cannot find the link to thread right now.
pauliesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So we picked up our custom mattress made from this place:

http://themattressmaker.com/

They used our stock Airstream mattress for a template. We had it made 12" thick (you can have it made any thickness) with a pillow top the maximum that would fit in our space. I am going to relocate 2 electrical outlets that are now covered. That was planned.

The mattress is the Ultimate Luxury Collection "Rapture" and originally we were getting $600+/- quotes, but my wife upgraded last minute to this higher end line and it costs $900. A lot of money, but understand this is a luxury model and it is custom made with the radius corners and thickness.

It is heavier that the OEM mattress, but not a deal breaker. If you are tight on tongue weight it may be an issue.

I am very happy with our decision. It is truly a top end solution and I think we did the right thing.

I wish I could post pictures, I have some showing the thickness compared to OEM and installation.

Anyone in MA want the OEM mattress for free?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #43
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
https://www.bedinabox.com/category/mattresses

Yes, there is a "bed in a box" company. There is also a "Mattress in a box" web site. Do not know if they make a twin that will work for you, but a phone call might well clue you in to their capability.

However, if I needed a custom mattress, I'd look into the companies that build quality innerspring mattresses to your specification. Worst case, call Jackson Center.

Pat
Hi Pat.
Thanks.
EVERYONE or anyone can and will offer custom radius mattresses in foam. It's another story when you ask for custom raduis' in steel coils.

After weeks and weeks of scrubbing the nation coast to coast (including the Mountain store) I found a bed company to do the job. And like everyone else, we are very pleased with the product, price, and company we selected.

We ended up purchasing custom forward twin inner springs. Nine inches thick and double pillow top which allows us to flip the beds.

They were quite impressive. The company took inner steel coil springs and removed the two or three at the one radius where needed, tuffed it all out and Wow. No more backaches, no more being swallowed up by foam, no more foam sweat, no more having to get up just to turn in bed. Amazing!!!

Thanks.
Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I recently added a foam topper to my mattress from Costco. It was great till one night with no heat. I came into the trailer and it was like sleeping on a gravel raod.

Going to get rid of it.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #45
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I recently added a foam topper to my mattress from Costco. It was great till one night with no heat. I came into the trailer and it was like sleeping on a gravel raod.

Going to get rid of it.

Dave
Know the feeling of a bad nights rest, Dave.

Everyone I know who has a Costco membership lives and dies at their doorstep so, I am very surprised to learn of the mattress quality.

We are 4000 miles into our second trip with our new mattresses and if their is one 'difficulty' with the mattresses it would be, my wife has a little more struggle making the beds. The added thickness over the stock foam as well as the 80" length compared to the stock 78" takes a little more to tuck the sheets and quilts in place.

The other nice thing I like about the thickness is, you don't have to reach up to the nightstand to get your glasses or cell phone. the mattress is about dead-level with the top of the stand.

We're pleased.
Good luck and happy travels.

Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote