Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #1

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere , Washington
Pink drip in B-room Brown drip frnt wndw screen

On top of a few other issues, I'll say this first off, I'm a first time RV owner and a first time full timer. Learning curve like no other. I was away for a three day weekend and came back to my 2012 trailer and found the slightly dried trail of a pink liquid that came down from in-between the seem of two sheets of interior aluminum. What is that? and how do I prevent it from happening again? I opened my curtains in the front of the trailer for the first time and saw that a brown liquid had dripped down the screen of the front window. There were no drips on the window. Only on the screen. There were 2 drips from the screen/frame down towards the floor. The 2 drips weren't exactly drips but a residual drip stream from the frame to the floor, but no pooling and the wall "stream" was not brown in color..

This was a lot to ask about, but I hope that I can get some help from you great experienced people... I've been an Airstreamer since I was 10, but made it happen at 30. I'm a true believer..
FullStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullStream View Post
On top of a few other issues, I'll say this first off, I'm a first time RV owner and a first time full timer. Learning curve like no other. I was away for a three day weekend and came back to my 2012 trailer and found the slightly dried trail of a pink liquid that came down from in-between the seem of two sheets of interior aluminum. What is that? and how do I prevent it from happening again? I opened my curtains in the front of the trailer for the first time and saw that a brown liquid had dripped down the screen of the front window. There were no drips on the window. Only on the screen. There were 2 drips from the screen/frame down towards the floor. The 2 drips weren't exactly drips but a residual drip stream from the frame to the floor, but no pooling and the wall "stream" was not brown in color..

This was a lot to ask about, but I hope that I can get some help from you great experienced people... I've been an Airstreamer since I was 10, but made it happen at 30. I'm a true believer..
Did it rain while you were gone? Sounds like you have a leak. And yes, they all leak at some point.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You need to get outside with a garden hose and starting below where the drips appear, slowly soak the trailer with water and then go inside and wait for a drip to appear. If no drip appears in 10 mins., repeat the soaking a bit higher. Once you have located the general area that the water intrusion starts, you need to completely reseal that area, with the recommended sealer. On the roof, closely examine all the sealer around the vents and you may need to cut away the old sealer, where it is cracked, to get a good seal. Use only a sealer that is compatible with the original sealer, to get a good bond. On the flat roof the leak can be almost anywhere and show up almost anywhere because the water, once it gets inside, can run a long way in the flat before it finds a way to drip into the inside.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The above advice is good in general. However since your trailer is still within warranty, my advice is, "Have your dealer find and fix it."

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere , Washington
I thank you for your replies.. I'm going to open a claim with Airstream in order to document it. Thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna spray water on this tube like crazy!

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other ideas I'm a good listener..
FullStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Warranties only cover leaks for the first six months (at least mine did). However, when I voiced my objections, the dealer did fix a leak beyond that.

Concur with previous poster - they all leak eventually, but don't have a nervous breakdown. Vigilence and maintenance!

The FaN is currently being winterized at the dealership. It has been tight and dry since the last leak was fixed a year ago, but they are still going to do the leak test and inspect/repair any seals if necessary. The freezing/thawing over winter are hard on questionable seals.