Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have two Honda 2000 and a tonneau top. I move the generators to the back and when it is raining under the cover. I have not had any troubles, it does get a little warm under the cover. I do chain them.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Somewhere In , Maine
I have an undercover tonneau, I can swing it up on sunny days, or close it and drop the tailgate on rainy days. Either way, I can run it from the truck bed. The generator is a Yamaha 2400is, which will also run the AC, and is only 75#, so its easy to load into the truck bed.

It's also chained in the bed, and I lock the tonneau for extra security, when traveling.
2spinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
There are caps that side opening windows (windoors) available that would aid in ventilation if you want to run your genny back there. The windoors also make it easier to reach your stuff in the truck bed.
I think that is the only way I would run my genny's in the back of my truck.
I have a tonneau cover now and just pull out my 2 Honda 2000's every time I stop and padlock them to the trailer tongue.
However, next truck I get I will put a hard cover on for more storage and better security.
Doc Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
I have a soft roll up tonneau that's locked in place when tailgate is shut and locked. Yes, it could be cut, but no large items could be taken out like my gen
the rolling bar system would stop most items I carry from being taken out. Small stuff yeah! We have had this cover sense 06 replacing the hard one we had witch we hated. Newer ones must better. We have a small gen that will not run the AC and I remove it in camp grounds but leave it in when hooked up. wire size is means a lot w/ getting max amps. Non flex wire 10 works pretty good on one item or two at most. Flex wire w/multiple strands to give it flex is better and any good RV store will sell it to you the foot for a gen the 30 amp is fine. I installed a hard wire #10 to go from my near rear power pt
to the front under the belly pan then from a junction box a flex wire to the truck bed. I am sure there are sights on how to reduce the noise of a gen, Military require us to do noise reduction and in the wild a small hole is best with generator having enough space to draw clean air for carb. A closed shell with air for carb works pretty good. The breathable air for a gen is needed and a flexible exhaust is the best but you then move the noise out side.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
Thanks,
The shore power cord is very heavy - made to handle 30 amps. I will only be sending (drawing) less than 13 amps (1600watts divided by 110 volts).

The charging amperage is less than that - (three stage charger) - at most maybe 6 or 7 amps. (nothing else will be on).

I don't know what Airstream uses for their charging wire (blue) from TV to trailer - does anyone? (1976 AS)
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I think most common is 12 ga but I have seen umbilicals with 14.
The blue charge line on my overlander is a 10 guage wire
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
We have a cab high Century on the back of our 2500HD Silverado. Our Yamaha 2400 sits on a bed slide which allows us to roll it out when needed. Often just over the tail gate and under the lift up window. If it rains we place a plastic tarp over the area where the hinges on the window attach to the cover. Bed slide allows us to access things that are towards the far end of the truck bed. Works for us!
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I'm getting a combination 2k + 2k generator set (still doing my due diligence between Honda and Yamaha); and I wanted a secure, yet convenient setup for the 8' bed on my new 2015 Ram. I went with the "Pickup Pack" and bed roller combo from Highway Products. Good, secure HD aluminum on all parts with mortise locks, and no windows for people to "shop" through. You can customize, but I went with an 8' box down each side and a 4" domed cover over the bed; full 8' bed roller and headache rack, which includes a back rack that can be used for boat, ladders, whatever. We've taken two cross country trips with the new setup this tear, and I am very pleased with everything.

SERVICE TRUCK BODIES | TRUCK BEDS | CUSTOM TRUCK BODIES | UTILITY BODY

Tim
Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a cap (canopy) on the back of our truck for two reasons: (1) we have moderately secure storage out of the weather for all kinds of stuff back there, including a generator, which we wouldn't have with an open truck bed. (2) We like to travel with a canoe, which means more gear (see reason #1) and the cap permits a standard type of roof rack.

We manage with upgraded batteries and one Honda 2000, so it's not too heavy to take in and out. We lock it up when we're away from the campsite.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A cap if you can afford one-
Otherwise, if you're broke like me, a tonneau cover-
Maybe I'll get a mid-rise cap in the future.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote