Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

somewhere in , Pennsylvania
picking up "new" trailer

hi all, I've been lurking this fabulous site for years and I'm finally (unless the apocalypse or some other tragedy occurs in the next 24 hours) picking up my dream. I am buying a 22 foot 66 safari. it seems to be in great working condition. I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or tips for a first time tower of something this size and first time airstreamer and heck first time vintage trailer owner. anything you wish you'd known? I am towing with a 2015 tacoma with a tow package so I'm taking any suggestions on pretty much anything anyone has. I'm so excited I'm not sure I'm going to get through the rest of my day. This has been my dream since I read skinny legs and all back in the day (tom robbins and if you haven't read it, it's fantastic) and it's finally here. Like a kid at christmas! thanks!!
aslvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Congrats, and welcome into the public of the forum! You'll find lots of great info here as you probably already know. Some of the search topics you may want to check out are tow vehicles and set up (especially if you feel your Tacoma PU is struggling to handle the weight of your "new" AS). Look for topics with tips on how to set-up, stock, and operate your AS. And, since yours will be a vintage AS, you might look into topics on maintaining the exterior finish. As you get to know your trailer better, there will probably be issues you want to resolve or improve. Search for those topics too. Please post a photo of your AS when you get it. We all love visuals.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

I can see you are very excited, and I hope your vintage trailer turns out to be everything you dream of.

Many of us find surprises in these vintage units. My recommendation would be to download the buyer's inspection checklist from the Portal page, and go through your trailer from end to end, just to get intimate with it, and to understand if you have any unexpected issues that need to be dealt with up front. Get as much information as you can from the previous owner about improvements/modifications that they have made to the trailer, or that they are aware of. Some good information would be:
-How old are the tires (tires have a shelf-life of around 5 years)?
-Has the trailer had grey water tanks installed (this year did not come with them from the factory)?
-Has the axle been replaced (torsion axles have a life of around 25 years)?

For your first tow, make sure you have good tires on the trailer, that the lights are working as expected, and that all doors, windows, and hatches are secured before travel.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. We would love to see pictures of her.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Congrats on your new trailer!!! But if you've been lurking, you already know that it's "Pics or it didn't happen!"

-Red, oddly at a loss for words...
Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Welcome to the ranks of '66 Safari owners. And welcome to active participation in the forums. The advice I see above is all good.

When I picked ours up back in 2008, it was the first travel trailer I'd ever towed. I'd pulled longer trailers and heavier trailers, but not one of these. It didn't take long to notice that she was by far the sweetest towing object I'd ever pulled behind a car or truck. I'll just repeat what it said in the owner's manual. Never let yourself forget it's back there.

PM me if I can answer any questions. I've corresponded with a couple of other '66 Safari owners who were doing restoration work, and I think it's fun to share and compare.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Congrats on your new trailer!!! But if you've been lurking, you already know that it's "Pics or it didn't happen!"

-Red, oddly at a loss for words...
haha! it DID happen!! I have some things I want to do but to the best of my inspection capabilities it's ready to go as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 safari.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	243256  
Old 07-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

you guys are so great! I could not love this place more. somehow I did make it through the day and actually even got some work done. I took possession officially today and she's all mine. Now on to phase 3 of my plan - run away in my airstream!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
That's a pretty rig! So, I guess it DID happen...

-Red, a believer...
Old 07-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
She's pretty! Hopefully the lawn tractor is not your tow vehicle...

Gonna post any inside pictures? We'd love to see them too.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I've been lucky to have had 10 different Airstreams from 1999 to 2011 and the years were from 1964 to 1979 22 to 28 feet and I learned that they are very consistent and are pretty tough to break! I always bought from orig owners. tinkered for a year or less and then found them a good home. You can find any parts you need if you are patient and a good researcher. the 1st thing that comes to my mind when you said the year is NO grey water tanks till 1974 and its just that you need to be hooked up to a drain or be very stingy with water when not or be creative and add one! Stay close to this group and be prepared for the lookie loose when your on the road and BE PROUD of your American made GEM! I have now moved on due to a sick partner needing to be in a motor-home and now travel in a 40' class A Diesel Pusher. I have a secret fantasy of pulling a bambi behind us as a guest cottage!

Cheers

Alan T Mesa AZ and Belen NM Camping in Fort Wayne IND as we speak!
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantbird View Post
I've been lucky to have had 10 different Airstreams from 1999 to 2011 and the years were from 1964 to 1979 22 to 28 feet and I learned that they are very consistent and are pretty tough to break! I always bought from orig owners. tinkered for a year or less and then found them a good home. You can find any parts you need if you are patient and a good researcher. the 1st thing that comes to my mind when you said the year is NO grey water tanks till 1974 and its just that you need to be hooked up to a drain or be very stingy with water when not or be creative and add one! Stay close to this group and be prepared for the lookie loose when your on the road and BE PROUD of your American made GEM! I have now moved on due to a sick partner needing to be in a motor-home and now travel in a 40' class A Diesel Pusher. I have a secret fantasy of pulling a bambi behind us as a guest cottage!

Cheers

Alan T Mesa AZ and Belen NM Camping in Fort Wayne IND as we speak!
Thank you! I love the mental image of you towing a bambi as a guest cottage - it would make my month to see that coming down the highway!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

oh and quite a few mods were made - one being the addition of a grey holding tank. I'm in the process of going through the interior and seeing what i must do now and what will be a "nice to have". I will likely become a persistent, annoying buzz to those that have been doing this awhile over the next few months
Old 07-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

also, I have to ask, how did you manage to give them up after so short a time? and also, I hit send very rapidly after placing thoughts in posts and emails - sorry, it can get annoying - ADD is strong in this one
Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

the lawnmower is available and looking for love...
ha. I'm not sure it could mow the lawn at the moment let alone tow the trailer - it needs an ignition coil
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
She's pretty! Hopefully the lawn tractor is not your tow vehicle...

Gonna post any inside pictures? We'd love to see them too.

Chris
happy to oblige...I'm still working my way through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	243272   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	243273  

Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The lack of a gray water tank is one of the big detractors from a pre '74, IMHO. Awesome that one has already been added!!!

-Red, getting slightly jealous now...
Old 07-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
picking up "new" trailer

Congrats, it's beautiful! I love the look of the 1960s Safari! Like you, I'm also towing with a newer Tacoma. Something I learned from Tacoma World is that because it prefers higher gear/low RPMs you will see with any hill or struggle that it downshifts and quickly goes back up as soon as it can. I believe it's referred to as "hunting" and it heats the transmission up quickly when towing. If you see it do that, select it to "4" and run at the higher RPM and that will protect the transmision.
54fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Congrats and welcome, looks great and looks like lots of good stuff is in working order. Good for you. Enjoy every bit. See. U down the road.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote